Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 PM

Default Who leaves furnace fan on?

When I moved into my house I remember reading that I should leave the furnace fan on all the time instead of putting it in auto.

Does anyone leave the furnace fan on all the time and do you see any benefits? Does it cost much more in electricity?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propliner View Post
When I moved into my house I remember reading that I should leave the furnace fan on all the time instead of putting it in auto.

Does anyone leave the furnace fan on all the time and do you see any benefits? Does it cost much more in electricity?
New houses have a duct coming from exterior called make up air . With the fan running if will draw cold air through the make up air duct . Will cool the house quickly.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:

Wondering same thing. If anything else, just to recirculate and filter the air in the house. Seems to help warm up the basement as well.

However, it is noisier and there would be obvious extra wear and tear on the furnace....but how much are we talking here ??
Old 02-06-2019, 09:53 PM

The amount of cold air drawn in is dependant on how many cold air returns you have in your house. Air will be pulled from the points of least resistance.
I have run with and without and do not see much difference in gas or power bills. There are car' runs in every room, cold air drawn in is negligible.
I have been told that running the fan 24/7 means there is less temp change in rooms between furnace runs.
Leaving the fan running supposedly is easier on the motor because there are no jump starts and of course it takes far less power to keep a motor running than starting from stop all the time.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-06-2019, 09:53 PM

Good question, always wondered when it's this cold, is it easier on the furnace motor, than starting and stopping repeatedly, at short intervals ?

Grizz
Old 02-06-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
New houses have a duct coming from exterior called make up air . With the fan running if will draw cold air through the make up air duct . Will cool the house quickly.
That's actually called a fresh air duct. There may also be a make-up air duct if there is a larger kitchen exhaust fan, but those are required to have a heater in them that is tied in with an interlock so that they become energized when the fan is turned on.

A typical blower draws 3.4 to 5 amps (340 to 500 watts) and as such that's how much they would add to your power bill, drawing constantly. It can help with air quality and keep the temperatures a bit more even, it also allows the humidifier to achieve its set point (humidifiers only run when the blower is engaged).

I vary on whether I keep it on for a few factors, I installed heated floors when I built so for us its not really necessary at all for warmth, just air quality.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:00 PM

I have a mid range furnace that I leave the fan on. It usually takes a pause prior to the heat coming on and turning up the motor speed. Would this negate the power savings or is this normal? Or should I be looking for a switch to stop this from happening and go from low air directly to high?
Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 PM

A two to three second power spike on motor start up will not in any way consume anywhere near the power consumed when running the motor constantly. Three seconds of 7 to 14 amps will not use similar power to 3.5 amps for an hour, just a full nope there. ECM (induction) motors are more energy efficient than standard ones and are noticeable for their 'soft-starts' and variable speed operation.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:41 AM

I have had my fan running since 1978. It cost me about $20.00 a year extra, (more since the Hydro went up). The best insurance policy going, the best air circulater going, what else can I say? You asked a question and I replied.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:18 AM
Banned

Quote:

You can do a calculation using the following website.

https://www.prismengineering.com/resources/calculators

Edmonton's kw/hr rate for January was 6.8cents per kWh (.068). A 1/2 horsepower motor running 24/7 would cost you $220/year for the Epcor Electric Energy Charge alone, then you have to add in delivery charges that are tacked on. Over the course of the years you will probably use 40-60% more than you would normally be paying because you have to consider the time your furnace blower would be running regardless of it being set to run continually.

Last edited by Weedy1; 02-07-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:06 AM

Leaving the circulating fan on in the summer is also a poor mans AC.
We leave the fan on at the cabin at the lake during the winter when we aren’t there. Keeps the windows from freezing up -and the damage that results when it melts off.

Last edited by Puddle; 02-07-2019 at 07:17 AM.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
You can do a calculation using the following website.

https://www.prismengineering.com/resources/calculators

Edmonton's kw/hr rate for January was 6.8cents per kWh (.068). A 1/2 horsepower motor running 24/7 would cost you $220/year for the Epcor Electric Energy Charge alone, then you have to add in delivery charges that are tacked on. Over the course of the years you will probably use 40-60% more than you would normally be paying because you have to consider the time your furnace blower would be running regardless of it being set to run continually.
You forgot to add in the carbon tax! haha
Old 02-07-2019, 08:11 AM

Default Furnace motor

Last time I picked up a new circuit board from my favorite furnace company the representitive mentioned he always left his blower motor on all the time. He repairs lots of furnaces so may know something.
If you have any cold spots near some of your plumbing would help to prevent possible pipe freezing during extreme cold weather like we are having now.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:39 AM

Mine has been running for 15 years .
We have a HRV, steam humidifier and MERV 15 filter system (Carrier infinity).
Fresh air, clean air and humidity all winter is nice.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:31 PM

I leave mine in auto all year long. My house is a bungalow so the basement is my get away from the summer heat. One year I thought I would be smart by turning the fan on. All it did was warm up the basement so it was unusable as a get away. now the fan is on auto and never gets used in the summer.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
That's actually called a fresh air duct. There may also be a make-up air duct if there is a larger kitchen exhaust fan, but those are required to have a heater in them that is tied in with an interlock so that they become energized when the fan is turned on.

A typical blower draws 3.4 to 5 amps (340 to 500 watts) and as such that's how much they would add to your power bill, drawing constantly. It can help with air quality and keep the temperatures a bit more even, it also allows the humidifier to achieve its set point (humidifiers only run when the blower is engaged).

I vary on whether I keep it on for a few factors, I installed heated floors when I built so for us its not really necessary at all for warmth, just air quality.
We have a fresh air duct that pulls air from outside directly into the cold air duct/plenum. Then there’s a second air duct coming in from the outside that is simply wrapped in insulation and drops down to the floor into a metal vented pot near the burners and blower. That duct might be called a combustion air duct.

We have DC motors which are cheaper to run and supposedly last longer. We also usually leave the fan running.

We’ve been meaning to test for radon but until then, I figure running the furnace creates a greater turnover of air and will reduce concentrations of the gas if it’s present to any great degree.

However, distributing any radon throughout the house may actually be doing the exact opposite of what we should be doing.

Anyone know anything about this?
Old 02-08-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
Wondering same thing. If anything else, just to recirculate and filter the air in the house. Seems to help warm up the basement as well.

However, it is noisier and there would be obvious extra wear and tear on the furnace....but how much are we talking here ??
I was told the opposite by a technician after getting my furnace blower replaced. The wear and tear on the motor, according to him, is the stopping and starting.

You can get a valve (unsure of its name) which will only open and allow exterior air once the furnace actually kicks in.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:09 AM

Default radon gas

If you are concerned about radon gas run all your fans including bathroom fans on regular basis. This will sweep most of potential radon gas from your home.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:43 AM

If your concerned about radon gas. Buy a detector for your home. I believe home depot sells them. If you have a high uranium concentration in the ground, that produces radon. To rectify the issue contact your plumbing/ heating contractor for a sump pump fan that creates negative pressure and in turn dumps all the ground air outside.

- In theory yes furnace fans running 24/7 will eat up a little bit of power, but on the upside it will save the life of your motor. Start stop constant wear and tear. What's worth more, 10 dollars of power or a 600.00 motor replacement.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:53 PM

We live in a 2 story house. In the summer we keep the fan on to keep the AC air moving. In the winter, it helps keep the basement warm. The MIL lives down there and I hear all about it when the thermostat dips just a hair.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Hunter View Post
If your concerned about radon gas. Buy a detector for your home. I believe home depot sells them. If you have a high uranium concentration in the ground, that produces radon. To rectify the issue contact your plumbing/ heating contractor for a sump pump fan that creates negative pressure and in turn dumps all the ground air outside.

- In theory yes furnace fans running 24/7 will eat up a little bit of power, but on the upside it will save the life of your motor. Start stop constant wear and tear. What's worth more, 10 dollars of power or a 600.00 motor replacement.
Good plan. Odds seem to be against dangerous levels in homes but this shows that you don’t really want to just rely on the odds:

Quote:

Research suggests exposure to deadly radon gas in Alberta homes varies depending on where you live | Globalnews.ca

“...

“A home tested south of Calgary had the highest level of radon. It came in at 72 times the radon level that is linked to cancer risk. That’s equivalent to 35,995 dental x-rays a year.”

https://globalnews.ca/news/4748443/r...here-you-live/
Quote:

Research | Evict Radon

Key findings:

18% (or one in six) of homes in Western Canada tested exceeded the 200Bq/m3 Health Canada maximum acceptable radon limit guideline.

Exceptionally high radon readings were observed across the region, all neighbourhoods are at risk. No areas contained homes all below Health Canada guidelines.

Newer homes built in the past 25 years had 31.5% higher average radon levels compared to older homes built prior to 1992.

In Southern Alberta, radon mitigation is highly effective, so there is a straight forward solution to the problem for those homeowners at risk.

https://evictradon.ca/research/

Last edited by KinAlberta; 02-08-2019 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:40 PM

Good info. Every home should get this done. Not sure how its look past.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:45 AM

If MIL lives with you in basement then suggest not leaving fan on, she may move and you will not loose every discussion with the two opposing sides. Just kidding lots of great MIL's that do not always side with their daughters.
Old 02-09-2019, 12:02 PM

I lived in a custom built 2 story house with great insulation. It has a Trane Mid Eff. Furnace with a a two stage DC fan. Winter time I left it on all the time, way more comfortable all over the house. Did not notice any change in electric bills and was not any concern. When AC was on same thing left it on all the time. When temperatures are around 15 C +or- I was not as concerned whether the fan was on or not. My personal experience made all three floors more consistent. Dogfish
Old 02-09-2019, 03:11 PM

I don't give two turds if it's easier on the motor, I'd far prefer replacing
a fan/blower motor than wearing out & having to replace the blower bearings, lol.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:42 PM

Our Furnace was installed in 2006 and is still on the same fan motor. It is a DC motor designed differently than the old AC type.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:05 AM

You have furnace in your house for comfort.

If you're the type to keep your house at 21 deg all year long keep your fan running.

If you're the type that is always concerned about night setback, keeping it "a little cooler" in the winter, and "a little warmer" in the summer to save money than leave it in AUTO.

Both work as they should. It all depends if you prefer comfort or saving a few pennies at the cost of a little comfort.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I don't give two turds if it's easier on the motor, I'd far prefer replacing
a fan/blower motor than wearing out & having to replace the blower bearings, lol.
You’ve got an old furnace if yours is still belt drive, nearly every residential furnace built in the last 20-odd years has a direct drive motor, so for most others the motor is also the blower bearings. I do like the simplicity and ease of service of the old rigs, I used to carry multiple sets of blower bearings as regular stock in my service van; these days I can’t justify inventorying them.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:39 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
You’ve got an old furnace if yours is still belt drive, nearly every residential furnace built in the last 20-odd years
has a direct drive motor, so for most others the motor is also the blower bearings.
I do like the simplicity and ease of service of the old rigs, I used to carry multiple sets
of blower bearings as regular stock in my service van; these days I can’t justify inventorying them.

Nothing is built like that old quality stuff, in 2015 I had to replace my 33Gal hot water tank that was installed in
1978..only got 37yrs out of it after the bottom faucet area started looking abitto corroded for me..
They even had the gall to say the warranty was expired!

Last edited by tri777; 02-10-2019 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:55 PM

Over the last 2 weeks of real cold spells I ran 2 days fan on constant, 2 days auto, and when the fan ran non stop the furnace ran at least an hour more each day. I use a NEST thermostat which tracks everything.

Auto only for me from now on.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....