Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2019, 08:12 PM

Default Puppy food recommendations

I know there was a post for dog food last week but Just wondering what people recommend for puppy food for my 7 month old chocolate lab. We have been feeding her performatrin chicken and rice but we suspect she has an allergy to either chicken or to grains as she has a slight rash that comes and goes on her belly. We are considering either Acana large breed puppy or Canadian natural but want to hear what others are or have fed their dogs as puppies.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:34 PM

Have a look at horizon. They have an ingredient list on their website. I've fed our lab from day one with it, from puppy blend and now the adult and hes done good with it.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:36 PM

Our breeder strongly urged not to feed puppy food as they grow too fast. We followed the advice and our girls hips tested OFA 'excellent' for hip dysplasia, go figure. Am feeding Purina Pro Plan shredded chicken and rice as mine didn't care for Acana. mmm....
Old 02-05-2019, 09:52 PM

I was using acana for a while when my chessie was a puppy but she kept having very liquidy stool. Switched to "GO!" Brand sensitive stomach and she loves it. Back to normal and they have lots of flavours (chicken, turkey, duck, Pollock, salmon, lamb, venison) I get 25lb bags from homes alive pets for around $75
Old 02-06-2019, 09:50 AM

Acana Classic Red, and Waggers "Mighty Wolf" treats...

Our ~4.5 month/old Doberman loves it, he only gets the runs when he eats something other than the food or his treats.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 AM

The only food our one dog that has chicken allergy can eat is Classic Red.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:56 AM

Have you looked at raw? The benefits of raw are - half the cost, half the poop to clean up, less itching and shedding, cleaner teeth, softer shinier coats. The biggest negative vs kibble is that you need extra freezer space.
We feed our dogs raw and give them some raw veggies to top up any vitamins that may or may not be in the mixture.
Chicken, turkey, beef are all options. Plus you can get things like chicken necks and bones for snacks etc.

Check out the website for 'The Complete K9' out of Lacombe. There is a Resources and Calculator tab that gives you some good info and comparisons on products and costs.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:47 PM

I am using a combination of Orijen large breed puppy and raw. This is the same i used with my first Akita 10 years ago and he did great on it no hip or any other problems from it.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:54 PM

Feeding Nutrasource large puppy to our 6 mth. old Chessie pup. Recommended by the breeder. Tried Origen puppy and Arcana but too strong for his stomach and he had the runs almost immediately even though we introduced it slowly. Went back to the Nutrasource and no problems. He's going to be a big boy: 71 lbs at 6 mths.
Old 02-06-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operator View Post
Have you looked at raw? The benefits of raw are - half the cost, half the poop to clean up, less itching and shedding, cleaner teeth, softer shinier coats. The biggest negative vs kibble is that you need extra freezer space.
We feed our dogs raw and give them some raw veggies to top up any vitamins that may or may not be in the mixture.
Chicken, turkey, beef are all options. Plus you can get things like chicken necks and bones for snacks etc.

Check out the website for 'The Complete K9' out of Lacombe. There is a Resources and Calculator tab that gives you some good info and comparisons on products and costs.
Raw unfortunately isn’t very practical for us as we are on the go a lot in the summer camping/road trips etc so keeping it frozen is difficult
Old 02-07-2019, 08:35 AM

3 dogs one American Akita at a healthy 140 lbs and 2 great pyrenees all in Kirkland brand. They didn't stay long on puppy food. A lot of people have recommended it and readily available.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmtracksoup View Post
Our breeder strongly urged not to feed puppy food as they grow too fast. We followed the advice and our girls hips tested OFA 'excellent' for hip dysplasia, go figure. Am feeding Purina Pro Plan shredded chicken and rice as mine didn't care for Acana. mmm....
Feeding large breed dogs regular puppy food is not a good idea as your breeder said, it is too high in energy and protein and the puppies do grow too fast. It is important to go with a large breed puppy food for large breed animals as it is lower in energy and protein than regular puppy food. Your puppy will get to the same size eventually, just takes a little longer which is a good thing.
Good advice!
Old 02-07-2019, 02:00 PM
Banned

Royal Canin formula works magic. It came into my rescue after I lost the Bella to child birth. She gave birth to 11 puppies and died of exhaustion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Royal can.jpg (18.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg royal cannn.jpg (22.2 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-08-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
I know there was a post for dog food last week but Just wondering what people recommend for puppy food for my 7 month old chocolate lab. We have been feeding her performatrin chicken and rice but we suspect she has an allergy to either chicken or to grains as she has a slight rash that comes and goes on her belly. We are considering either Acana large breed puppy or Canadian natural but want to hear what others are or have fed their dogs as puppies.
Hi there, sorry to hear that.. I have given mine a Natural Balance but you should probably ask your vet for recommendation.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:04 PM

We feed our dogs Acana. Also it might be easier to find out what they’re allergic too, if you stick with single protein foods. Or you can get it checked at the vet