Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2017, 04:12 PM

Default Floating the Red Deer River

We floated the Red Deer river on Saturday. The weather was fantastic and the fishing was pretty good too. Managed to land half a dozen really nice goldeye, all in the 16-20" range, and lost many more near the tube. They were biting good on a Rapala floating/shallow diving minnow, also on a gold williams wobbler which was way to big. I'd never caught a goldeye before so it was nice to add another species to my list.

We put in at the Penhold bridge and took about 6 hours to get to Fort Normandeau. We rarely paddled and didn't stop for more than about 5 minutes total. The river outflow at Dickson that day was 26.8 m3/sec and the flow at Red Deer was 37 m3/sec.

Can't wait to float this river again!!!
Old 07-23-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpohlic View Post
We floated the Red Deer river on Saturday. The weather was fantastic and the fishing was pretty good too. Managed to land half a dozen really nice goldeye, all in the 16-20" range, and lost many more near the tube. They were biting good on a Rapala floating/shallow diving minnow, also on a gold williams wobbler which was way to big. I'd never caught a goldeye before so it was nice to add another species to my list.

We put in at the Penhold bridge and took about 6 hours to get to Fort Normandeau. We rarely paddled and didn't stop for more than about 5 minutes total. The river outflow at Dickson that day was 26.8 m3/sec and the flow at Red Deer was 37 m3/sec.

Can't wait to float this river again!!!
I've been thinking about taking my canoe and fishing rod for a trip down the Red Deer river. So thanks for the detailed post.
I caught a couple Goldeneye on a spinnerbait a few weeks ago. https://youtu.be/Dj3e6-jg-oQ
Those guys are more vicious then Pike sometimes. And they put up a better fight then most Walleye.