Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-23-2008, 02:47 PM

Default Racoon

Posting for littlered

Littlered and the racoon he caught last week:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg racoon2.jpg (90.0 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpg racoon1.jpg (89.3 KB, 452 views)
Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 PM

neet, where abouts did he catch it?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
I was wondering the same thing.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:03 PM

It was caught in a coyote snare SW of Red Deer.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:22 PM

I think the few I've ever seen in Alberta are in the deep south part of the province. Sure don't see many around.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

An older gent, that I used to trap with, caught a racoon on his farm, north of Westlock , approx 5 yrs. ago.. He, too,caught it in a coyote snare..and if there was one there is prob. more of those pesky critters about. To bad they are not worth much at auction.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Banned

Apparently they are here in Fish Creek. (South Calgary)
I haven't seen one, but they had pics at the last community meeting.

Jamie
Old 02-23-2008, 07:41 PM

one was shot at west of phyllis lake by my house and one was shot just east of there in the 70s
Old 02-23-2008, 09:23 PM

Nice coon Littlered, congrats.

I bumped into one about 10 days ago on an acerage 6 miles east of Crossfield. They are kicking around for sure. I like 'em.

I used to cut holes in the 5 gallon plastic pails so I could set a 220 in there with a can of sardines as bait. Worked good. My favourite way of catching them with a foothold (slide-line drowning set), was to simply put a trap in about 3-4" of water on a stream edge, and wrap the pan with tin foil. Curoisity killed the coon!

I eventually stopped targetting them due to crappy prices and the amount of work involved in getting a pelt properly prepared, kind of a pain.

Tree
Old 02-23-2008, 10:52 PM

about 1976 a school buddy killed one east of Vimy. All they knew was something kept stealing eggs from the chicken coop. One night they sat out waiting and when they saw something coming in the window of the coop they shot it. Turned out to be a Racoon. Surprised the heck out of them.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:42 PM

trapping this fall by carmangay i seen lots of coon tracks along the creeks but never did i set for them..

On time when i was out by coaldale by lethbridge moving some bails i came accross a litter of babies there was 6 of them but no parents. I just scooted them off to the side. I wish i had a camera that day it was cool. I even thought of keeping a couple cause they were so little, but never did now i look back and i should have would have been a cool pet.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:37 PM

NOT a good pet. Been there done that and have the scars to prove it. Unless you can get one before their eyes are open, you're hooped. They are nasty little jerks even as babys. I am sure there are laws that concern that sort of thing also.

Tree
Old 02-26-2008, 11:03 PM

We come accross the odd racoon shot a family of them a few yrs ago in our field. Then caught one sneaking into garage eating cat food used the skunk trap to catch it. Last spring found one in 1 of our steel bins musta climbed the ladder and fell in then when we sucked the grain out there he was not happy either trucker chased him outta bin with scoop shovel.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:26 PM

My friend's uncle caught a raccoon on this trapline along the North Saskatchewan River north of Two Hills in about 1981. Until then I didn't know that they were in Alberta. I've since seen them as roadkill down in the Milk River area, and live, late at night in Lethbridge. They are now established in Calgary.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:36 AM

About four years ago was sitting having supper and could see the bird feeders along the tree line swaying. Turned on the million candle power flash light and was shocked to see that a coon was there trying to eat from the feeders. I had no idea that there were any coons in Alberta.
This was north of smith.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 PM

Default Coons

For those who haven't seen these up before...from east of Mundare November 06'. Pesky bastards.

Old 02-28-2008, 02:35 PM

I grew up in NS and used to trap and hunt 'coons. They frequently invaded our barns and gardens. They are very smart, very strong, easily adapt ti human habitation, and can get very large. Also, in the fall, they are 'on the move' and the number of roadkills can be many.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
KyleM

There used to be a family of them at the Tim Hortons in Guelph, Ontario...you would come out with timbits and they would bug for them...eventually people would train them and a month later they were doing tricks

I have raised 12 coons in my life....they are neat little pets if you get them extremely young. We released them at the cottage when they got to be about 4 months old. We used to get them from the humane society.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:03 PM

Default road kill racoon

seen a dead raccon east of leduc on the was to nisku on 814 any one seen it?
Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 AM

Default cool

hey thats awosme, i woudl love to mount one of them little guys, my brotherinlaw lives out in surrey pei and he and his buddies hunt raccoons, says hes gonna take me out hunting them one time, ide love to hutn them , he says there tough to hunt. nice photos guys and congrats on a rare trophy
Old 03-01-2008, 09:12 AM

We discovered a 'coon , and another time a fox, hiding in the pipes and other cargo that trucks had brought from Ontario to the Suncor site.

Racoons are very interesting, but can be troublesome at times, dangerous at others, and simply dastardly most of the time!!
I hate the little buggers, they rob hen house, get into garbage, tear up hounds, and generally wreak havoc wherever they are found.
Cat
Old 03-01-2008, 02:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Kylem. You say youve raised afew, how long is their life expectancy?? There are getting to be more and more around all the time in this country, though i remember seeing coon tracks on the Red Deer River growing up as a kid fishing and hunting down there. Thats pushing over 20 years ago. I dont know much about them. Are they a clean animal to have as a pet? I will likely never have one, and dont know if i would want to, just curious to know abit about them, they are sure nocturnal/crafty little buggers.

keep a strain on er.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:31 PM

I'm moving back to Vancouver Island in the fall, and I think I may try hunting them out there. Killed lots growing up out there, when they tried to eat our chickens and turkeys. I've been looking at a website for a Nebraska company called Minaska Outdoors. They sell raccoon distress cds for about $15. Seeing as e-calling is legal in BC, my plan is to bring a small stereo with me down to the creek bottoms, and try to bag some with the bow. On a video I've got, there is some scenes of coons completely attacking the e-caller in broad daylight. Looks like it could be a blast.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:39 PM
KyleM

The ones I have raised already had their eyes open and they were easy enough...just make sure you get to them extremely young.
The youngins are probably the coolest pet you could have.
They climb up your leg and fish shiney objects from your pockets...lighters, coins, wrappers, they love to use their hands.

Grapes are cool to feed them, most of the babies will peel the grape with their claws. I used to take them down to the river and they would fish for crayfish, minnows. They are very entertaining creatures.

However, they do reach a certain age when you cant handle them.
After 4-6 months you cant pick them up, I could pet them and the odd time if I offered a treat but other then that I stayed away.

I remember back in the day we released a single infant at the cottage at about 6 months of age. We called him Roofus....that bugger came back probably 4 years in a row and the laughs were neverending.
That SOB would steal food from bears and foxes, he was like a cartoon character. He would come in the boat at about 3 years of age and I could feed him perch but he had his side of the boat and I had mine....he would wait at the dock at about 5AM for me to come down.

Anyways, they can get messy and they are just like kids.
They always needs attention when theyre young (yes, eventhrough the night).
Old 03-05-2008, 07:27 PM

As was said earlier there are lots down east.

However last year coming back form High Level there was one hit on the side of the road. I actually stopped and turned around to make sure it was what I thought it was. They are around they just want you to know they are.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_N_Wide View Post
As was said earlier there are lots down east.

However last year coming back form High Level there was one hit on the side of the road. I actually stopped and turned around to make sure it was what I thought it was. They are around they just want you to know they are.
Believable. There is evidence of them in areas that would probably surprise some people (as if High level isn't surprising enough).
Old 03-09-2008, 09:15 PM

Default Coons in Southern Alberta

Shot this coon 2 falls ago at my wifes Mom & Dads ranch near Cypress Hills. Lots of Coons around there. Accually got 6 one evening, yah they can be a pest, seemed like when the Coons where in the yard lots the cats went missing, not sure if they kill animals and eat meat. But they did raid there garden pretty bad one summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0426.jpg (82.7 KB, 181 views)
Old 03-17-2008, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsundance View Post
By the hind leg , by the looks of the pic, haaaaa.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:06 AM
Nationwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
By the hind leg , by the looks of the pic, haaaaa.
Haaaa BUD made a FUNNY now where can i gat a coon hat cheap.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nationwide View Post
Haaaa BUD made a FUNNY now where can i gat a coon hat cheap.
At the coon hat thrift store wher l got mine.