Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-12-2008, 05:39 PM

Default What is required to prove is being trapped

Ive asked a question about cabins and their use and it seems no-one has an answer as of right now.
In my looking for the rules, policy's, guidelines, laws on that subject I have not noticed anywhere where a trapper named on a license must prove he or she has actually trapped on the line. Unless Ive missed it can anyone guide me in the direction of use requirements to hold a line.
I'm sure there has to be rules on this surely it is not a choice of whether one wants to or doesn't want trap and still hold the line and use a cabin??
SST
Old 09-12-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

What you want is something in black and white. Well it just isn't so. I guess if you were more familiar with the situation you wouldn't be asking. there aare just too many variables . If you would care to PM me, I would try to explain things. It would take to much time to do it, here, in a matter that would be understood..
Old 09-26-2008, 04:28 PM

Default trapline cabins

a couple of years ago we had the opportunity to meet a fellow at a northern Lake ( used his access to put our boats on the water. Now the cabin he has is great and has been on a trapline owned and operated by the family for about 30 years. Heres the catch he is not of that family and has never trapped and the person who is registered has not trapped in years they allow him the exclusive use of the cabin in exchange for its upkeep and they keep the registration up. fish and wildlife have a cabin on the same lake and occationally a member will come over and ask who he is and so on. They inform him that he is not to use the cabin for recreation and thats that for another year! He spends every other weekend there and its really a great place. I'm sure this is more the rule to modern traplines than the exception. Don't get me wrong though I'm in full support of average people being creative enough to pull one over on the goverment. He even offered to let us use the access anytime and drop by for the occational overnight fishing trip. So obviously if the concenses is trap lines are not profittable, then all are recreational..Right? Lets not pretend its a job. People profit from jobs. I would like to have a trapline of my own when I retire for recreation.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

Default cabins

It's been said before and I'll say it again, if the F&W were doing their job, there would not have to be discussions about this, which to all to many, makes it appear that every trapper out there is doing what you say..They have the power to stop this from continuing but for some reason have - maybe - been told to leave "particular situations" be. We, as trappers do not condone this as it paints all with the same brush-- IMHO..
Old 09-26-2008, 11:43 PM

This summer the Alberta Trappers voted to pursue becoming a DAO much like APOS. The intent is to put more teeth into things like the Trappers cabin rules and included in this is more attention given to active trapper status. At this time there's unfortunately not much teeth in the rules governing Trappers cabins. This makes it bad for the truely active trappers as most people think Tappers Cabins are just a place to party and take their buddy's hunting.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Banned

Default Dao

Before one gets to saying that the ATA is pursuing a DAO much like APOS has, one should be reading the posts in the Gen Forum, having to do with how it is "supposedly" being operated. I'm not real familiar with it's operation and have nothing that I can base an honest opinion on, but I have seen too many times how -absolute power corrupts-
Old 09-27-2008, 05:18 PM

Well if the trappers are going to run an apos type of regime I for one will quit trapping. It would be a shame for trappers to get branded the same as outfitters.
Old 09-27-2008, 08:03 PM
Banned

In GP, this summer, at the conv. ,it was being said in the same breathe, that this dao was to be modeled after the fine example of how things are suppose to work. So who's shi--ing who.??
Old 09-27-2008, 10:13 PM

I think the ATA's dao will work as well as we make it by us showing up and putting in our two cents worth. The dao should give us a chance to get active trappers on a line.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:49 AM

The ATA reference to an APOS DAO is only used as an example of another consumptive commercial group who has a DAO. The ATA will have a specific model for trapping which will be nothing like the APOS.

Having said that many of my friends are members of APOS and I'm not hearing them complain. Who's got a problem with APOS outfitters or resident hunters?
Old 09-30-2008, 06:47 PM
Banned

Reference to the Gen.forum, under -Has APOS ever disciplined an outfitter- they are on page 4 now..Lots of points of view..