Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 PM

Default 9 yr old needs advice

Hi, I'm using my Dad's account. I got some mole traps for Christmas and I need any tips I can get. Also, if you have any tips for trapping muskrats I'd like those to!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 PM

What kind of traps, exactly ?
I try to find a run , usually just on the outside of a dirt mound. Poke around with a wire or sharp stick....an old arrow works well, until you find their tunnel. Depending on the trap type, put the trap in their tunnel.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:37 PM

it's been a while lets see if i can remember. dig your holes were they pile the dirt from their tunneling, usually there will be two or more tunnels joining. there clean out the dirt and set your traps in the middle of the runs. put a piece of heavy cardboard or wood over the hole and cover it with the dirt you dug. out make sure the cardboard or what ever you use is bigger than the hole you dug because you don't want to let any light in. good luck
Old 04-07-2008, 08:39 PM

And I assume you're talking aabout pocket gophers ??
Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 PM

I can't tell ya anything about moles, but I'll give ya a good trick for catching muskrats where all of the traditional type sets don't really work.

First, take two pieces of log about 6-9" in diameter and cut them so they are about 3-4' long.

Lay them out evenly and make sure that they are spaced to nicely fit a 110 Conibear.

Tack them together with two pieces of board that are about 6" wide but NOT wider in length than the main logs.

Flip it over and nail on another piece of wood (same size) in the middle, which is now the TOP. Put a nail in the middle of the board that sticks up to hold the piece of apple that you will use as bait.

Now, the first boards you put on will be sitting below the surface of the water on your brand new 'rat killing raft. Make sure that you do the three nail technique to hold your 100's firmly in place. I also used to use Victor #1 1/2 longsprings also and they worked just as well.

Float it out into place in a pond or such, and I'll almost guarentee that you'll score a double on your first night. The 'rats would rather swim in the ends then climb over the top. Good luck and let us know how your new adventures go!

Tree
Old 04-15-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. That muskrat trap sounds great.

thanks
Old 04-15-2008, 04:38 PM

Hi Treeguy, thanks for the advice for my boy. Just a couple of questions, do you put the trap on top of the raft near the apple? I haven't got a trap for him yet so the 3 nail technique doesn't make much sense, will it be obvious when I get the trap in my hands? I'm hoping to get him a couple of 110 conibear traps if they are available.

Sounds like a heckuva setup, I just want to make we set it up right.

thanks again
Old 04-15-2008, 07:29 PM

Hi Graham. You know how a conibear sits when it is set? On the bottem, there is about a 1" gap between the jaws (depending on how you set it). So if you put two nails against one set jaw (inside), and another in the middle on the opposite one, the set trap will be strongly anchored in place.......upright.

If done right, the 110 will be submerged by about a third, and set about 16-18" back from the middle board with the apple on it that is ABOVE the water. The set encourages the 'rats to just easily swim into either end of the raft and through the conibear. Just make sure to anchor it so it doesn't drift into the sides.

Although I haven't tried it, but if you set this in a good enough area and use meat instead of fruit, and footholds instead of conibears, there could be a good chance that you would nail a few mink or the odd otter if you're lucky.

There's a ton of tricks for 'rats and they all work good, but this little raft setup always produced for me, and when the season is over, just chuck 'em in the bushes and use 'em again next year. Cheap and easy.

Another goofy little trick I used to do for 'coons was to anchor a #1 1/2 Victor coilspring in about 4" of water at the edge of a creek or pond. Drop a bit of lure and make sure that the pan was covered in shiney aluminum foil. Curoisity gets them quite often.

Good luck guys and keep us updated on your adventures!

Tree
Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 PM

Another way I heard was putting your connibear ontop of a log, chain it on so it can fall off. Muskrats also love parsley. So you anchor the log so a muskrat can climb up on it and not have it rolling out from under him, when he gets caught in the connibear it falls into the water. Then you just pull in your log with a rat in tow.
I'm just studying for my trappers liscence right now and intend to take full advantage of next season. Hope all goes well for you.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:13 PM

Carrots work great for muskrat bait
Old 04-16-2008, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the great advice guys! I will keep you up to date on his progress.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jimmer View Post
Another way I heard was putting your connibear ontop of a log, chain it on so it can fall off. Muskrats also love parsnip. So you anchor the log so a muskrat can climb up on it and not have it rolling out from under him, when he gets caught in the connibear it falls into the water. Then you just pull in your log with a rat in tow.
I'm just studying for my trappers liscence right now and intend to take full advantage of next season. Hope all goes well for you.
Parsnip is the best bait!
Old 04-17-2008, 06:43 PM

Right Pa, meant parsnip! Have you also tried looking up trap types on the Alberta Trappers Association site?
Old 04-29-2008, 11:38 AM

Dont forget that you need a trappers license in alberta to take muskrat, and the skins must be used or sold legally. The market is down for most furs right now but I used to trap rats and beaver for the hides, and trap moles as a small business for farmers. decent coin for a 10 year old though.