Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-08-2018, 10:59 AM

Default Spirits and Beer Choices

When you guys and gals are looking for an beverage what influences your choice as there has to be a paradox of choice with so many options, or are you simply brand loyal? Cost? What make you reach for the bottle or 6 pack on the shelf?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:57 AM

The flavour of it. If it don’t taste good why drink it.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:09 PM

Used to be out of the curiosity of trying new beers and spirits when all these craft breweries and distilleries started popping up. That was when a craft beer 6 pack was around $12

Now that it’s $15/$16 a 6-pack for average craft beers, I’ve gone back to drinking cheaper beers like AGD or Bow Valley lager, which are half the price and almost just as good.

With the price jumps/liqour tax increase every few months, i’ll sacrifice a little taste to save a lot of money. This province is getting crazy already.

Go any other place in the world like the states, mexico, and other third world countries and the beer is cheaper than the water. Except in Canada, why is that?
Old 07-08-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Go any other place in the world like the states, mexico, and other third world countries and the beer is cheaper than the water. Except in Canada, why is that?
Because we have a too-large "social safety net" for life's losers like addicts, lazy welfare cases, and various other bums that feel too "privileged" to work for a living.

Who do ya THINK has to support them............?
Old 07-08-2018, 04:38 PM

My tastes are very seasonal. In the Spring I people are tired of being cooped up so there is usually a bunch of parties to attend. A nice 6-pack of Lager is light and convenient. In the Summer I will switch to Gin and tonics muddled with of whatever fruit is in season. In the Autumn I switch to Scotches. They are nice to sit and sip around camp and are easy to pack. Winter is Usually about the bourbons and ryes with sodas. You are indoors more, have easy access to mixes, ice.

As for what of each I choose, I was experimental in my youth and learned what I like. Now that I am bit older I stick to it.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:37 PM
Banned

I don't drink enough to worry about cost so I just get whatever I like. Grizzly Paw and Rickards are my go to brands though when I need a quick in and out of the store or when I feel cheap.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Used to be out of the curiosity of trying new beers and spirits when all these craft breweries and distilleries started popping up. That was when a craft beer 6 pack was around $12

Now that it’s $15/$16 a 6-pack for average craft beers, I’ve gone back to drinking cheaper beers like AGD or Bow Valley lager, which are half the price and almost just as good.

With the price jumps/liqour tax increase every few months, i’ll sacrifice a little taste to save a lot of money. This province is getting crazy already.

^Now there's some clear drinking.... I mean thinking....

I have my favorite Rum (Captain Morgan Private Stock) that I will search for the best price. Costco's Kirkland rum is a near 2nd (based on price alone). I've been trying different flavored Ryes (Crown Vanilla, Honey, Northern Rye) but the basic Crown Royal Rye is still a sure-to-be standby. Have never had a taste for Vodka or Gin, and would rather clean paint brushes with Scotch than drink it. My son brings home a nice Tequila now and then - but it's too expensive for the Margaritaville maker.

As for beer, I like the Innes & Gunn Rum finished, but it's pricey. Most of the "craft" beer are way too pricey for my meager wallet, so I'll by the value priced beer - you only taste the first 1 or 2 anyway????

J.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:51 PM

Depends on the day. There are times I go into Sherbrooke and pick out random stuff that sounds good. Polish red currant beer, Belgian kreik, german Radler, whatever catches my eye.

Keep a stock of Tooheys Extra Dry (Australian lager) in the fridge, because it’s awesome in the heat. As is twisted tea.

Definitely like innis and Gunn paired with venison. Or more innis and Gunn.

The girlfriend is into wine and I’m developing my preferences, never any shortage of bottles to try at her place.

The hard stuff, I mostly cook with. Will try any mixed drink that sounds good if I happen to be out at a restaurant. Once in a very long while I find something worth recreating, then it’s off to Costco or superstore for the ingredients.

The last beer I had was $13 a bottle. Only one though. You can drink a lot of horse filtered budwiser for that, but I’ll guarantee you won’t enjoy it as much.

Life is to short to drink crappy beer or bang ugly women
Old 07-09-2018, 06:54 PM

Good whisky. Good beer. It's not cheap. But it's good.

Good whisky seems to start at $80 a bottle. Good beer....is good. And not cheap.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-08-2018, 12:25 PM
Banned

Good value
Price doesnt always reflect quality, eg: 3 Winds Grenache (red wine) for $10 is one example
Old 07-08-2018, 01:12 PM

We drink very little so cost is not so much a factor as a dozen beer last me a year at home personally, if we have company of course more will be in order though. After trying it motivated by numerous good reviews by AO members my beer of choice for the last 3 or so years has been Innis & Gunn.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:38 AM

I like hoppy beers, but often guests don’t.
I stock old mill or agd and everyone’s happy.

Here’s a fun game: have a corona and an old mill back to back and decide which is better. It shocked me.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:02 PM

Im a cooler type. Lol

Beer makes me feel like a 400 whale

I did get an education a few weeks ago

Friend was challenged to pour a single drop from a full wine bottle into a glass in the sink

A decided to poke her in the ribs with my fingers just as she poured.

She dropped the bottle

$288 to replace her vino.

She doesnt drink cheap. Lol
Old 07-09-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
$288 to replace her vino.

She doesnt drink cheap. Lol
Yikes. I feel guilty when I spend $40 on a bottle of wine.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 PM

I like Coors Banquet, not a bad price at Costco either.

I also like the occasional Jager Bomb
Old 07-09-2018, 01:10 PM

I'm a Grey Goose and Corona consumer...