Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-08-2020, 09:39 PM

Default CZ 452 or Tikka T1X rimfire?

Hi All,

I am looking at a Left Hand CZ 452 or a Tikka T1X in22 cal. Looking for real life experience with either of these rifles and it will mostly be used for target shooting out to 100 yds.

Thanks,

Mark
Old 08-09-2020, 01:47 AM

I have both my 452 left hand is very accurate I bedded it and run a 2- 8 x 32 scope have a yo dave trigger spring kit to 2 lbs but is fussy with ammo bolt manipulation is good but no were near the tikka . The Tikka has nothing done 3-8 x 40 bolt manipulation is flawless and is un fussy with ammo .Being a lefty I find shooting right hand bolts clumsy so I like the CZ if there is a Tikka in left hand the CZ will be gone .
Old 08-09-2020, 07:20 AM

I’ve got a cz452 and it feeds and ejects perfectly. I’ve only ever tried the bulk federal ammo and only ever shot paper twice with it. It’s got a trigger kit but it’s not bedded.

Originally I put a 2.5 power leupold on top sitting in the rings that came on it when I bought it. This was her at a measured 50m.

I was happy with that so I bought a 4x leupold and a set of Talley rings. I then put ten rounds into this target at “about” 30m.

I typically used it to head shoot grouse because hearing protection and using the shotgun with the little kids is to much trouble. I put the crosshairs on their head and they go down.

Since I got it I haven’t even considered another .22 so I’ve got no experience with the tikka.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:34 AM

Default Cuz 452 or tikka

I have a Tikka t1x and love it. Very accurate with several different ammo types. Wonderful .22
Old 08-09-2020, 09:02 AM

Have both but in 17hmr. Both are accurate. I do like the Tikka better, more aftermarket support. Can use T3 stocks and triggers for upgrades if desired. If you want to change out the stock which I did there are so many options. Short bolt throw is nicer.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:20 AM
Banned

Before the t1x came out I had a 452, then the t1x came out and I sold the 452 to buy a t1x, but I still haven’t gotten around to picking one up , lol. I’ve got an old cooey that I can shoot shotgun casings at 40yds all day long freehand, no grouse is safe when I’ve got that rifle in my hands so I just haven’t gotten the urge to get the Tikka. If I do buy another 22 or try a 17 it will be the t1x for sure though.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:23 AM

You are a lefty, get the CZ. I own a lot of 22s. Outside my Anschutzs, nothing out shoots the CZs for pure grouping and I have owned everything ever made in LH 22 LR. As a gopher, hunting gun, the CZs are great. If Tikka brought out a LH, I would buy one to try.

Old picture that I have posted before but every CZ I own or have owned would match these groups. Groups are at 50 yards. For a hunting rifle, what matters is what they will do with regular ammo, not what it can do with $20 a box match ammo from Eley.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:27 AM

Thank you everyone, appreciate the feedback. I love the look and handling of the CZ and shot one, but hated the safety and the trigger was not so great. Also understand that they can be finicky with ammo.

Haven't been able to get my hands on a Tikka T1X, but I can be patient. I can't imagine Tikka turning out anything less than great accuracy and a great trigger.

Thanks again!
Old 08-09-2020, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You are a lefty, get the CZ. I own a lot of 22s. Outside my Anschutzs, nothing out shoots the CZs for pure grouping and I have owned everything ever made in LH 22 LR. As a gopher, hunting gun, the CZs are great. If Tikka brought out a LH, I would buy one to try.

Old picture that I have posted before but every CZ I own or have owned would match these groups. Groups are at 50 yards. For a hunting rifle, what matters is what they will do with regular ammo, not what it can do with $20 a box match ammo from Eley.

Your prayers have been answered!

https://www.greatnorthprecision.com/Tikka-T1X-LEFT-HAND
Old 08-09-2020, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20shadow05 View Post
Thank you everyone, appreciate the feedback. I love the look and handling of the CZ and shot one, but hated the safety and the trigger was not so great. Also understand that they can be finicky with ammo.

Haven't been able to get my hands on a Tikka T1X, but I can be patient. I can't imagine Tikka turning out anything less than great accuracy and a great trigger.

Thanks again!

CZ triggers are a snap to tune and once done they are as good as anything made. As far as being picky with ammo, that has not been my experience. Anything that shoots Stingers and cheap bulk ammo as good as the picture above is not a picky eater. Like I said, I would buy a LH Tikka just to try one but I think they have a ways to go to match the CZ.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post

Thanks Kurt. Will order one on Monday. Have to keep my streak of owning every Lefty 22 made alive.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks Kurt. Will order one on Monday. Have to keep my streak of owning every Lefty 22 made alive.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:55 AM

I have a couple of 452s, both with tuned triggers (a varmint, and a 16" American) but having recently had some excellent trigger time behind a T3X varmint in 204R, I feel I can't ignore the T1X any longer.

I basically asked this same question on CGN in a couple of different ways, as I "was" thinking I should sell-off one of the 452s to finance the Tikka. (an I don't need a heap of .22s. I mean...I do.. ) The consensus seemed to be this-if you have a 452 that shoots well, don't gamble on getting rid of it to fund the Tikka. The suggestion being (answers and PMs) that basically...the CZ is bound to be good, and that there are T1X owners not getting good results.

So..does that help? lol I personally find it hard to believe that anything comes out of Tikka/Sako that isn't good/accurate/trouble-free, so I'm still planning on buying a T1X..but I'm not selling a 452 first. The question is a fair one though, @ $730/$740 (before tax) every Tikka T1X should be awfully good. Should be.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:

Great North is out of stock in the LH both 22 RF and 17 HMR. I sent Clay an email just now as they carry the T1X, so we will see how long it would take for them to get one in. Good part is, I didn't even know Tikka had started putting them out in LH, so even if it takes a while, no big deal. Kurt - Thanks again for the heads up. You are my new purchase Mentor/enabler.

Last edited by Dean2; 08-09-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:41 AM

Hi Guys,

Prophet River only has them on back order unfortunately.
Old 08-09-2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Oh, oh. I am torn. Anyone want to buy a CZ 452 Varmint. lol

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-09-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Oh, oh. I am torn. Anyone want to buy a CZ 452 Varmint. lol

NEVER sell a gun you know is good before you get the new one and try it out. In fact, NEVER sell a good gun that they don't make any more.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:30 PM

Quote:
They are out of stock. Figures.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-09-2020, 01:16 PM

Lh cz 452 are great. Have a lux and an American.

Safety is backwards is only downfall but it works either way.

Triggers are easy to tune with the kit.

I would assume the tikka to be a great gun as well. Especially for $799?
Old 08-09-2020, 01:22 PM

I was in the same boat for a long time. In fact, I wanted my 22lr wanted to be a bolt but the budget was very tight. I ended up buying Ruger 10/22. It has been fun shooting it for the last 16 years. Anyway, I kept looking, *the reason I stayed I away from CZ 452 was the wing safety, just personal preference. Then cz came up 455 models, the price was right, but it still had the same wing safety. I believe they finally changed that in the latest model and added an adjustable trigger.
It is amazing how many manufactures came up with budget quality bolt 22lr. At one point I was also considering Ruger 7722, then Anschutz's hunting models. (even looked at pre-owned as well)
I was extremely happy when Tikka announced their 22lr model. This year I bought tikka t1.

Last edited by wolf; 08-09-2020 at 01:24 PM. Reason: errors
Old 08-10-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Yes they are. I heard back from Clay this morning and they have no anticipated receipt date of any kind for left or right hand rifles. Neat that they make one but not a lot of help if you can't buy them. One more argument for the 452.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:01 PM

Default Owned both and cant fault either one

Both deadly accurate. I have also owned the original Brno and have to say all 3 have been incredibly accurate. A few years ago I regretted selling the original BRNO so started looking to replace it. found the CZ 452 and bought it expecting it to be just as accurate as the old BRNO. I was not disappointed and shot it regularly for 3-4 years. Last fall I was alerted the T1X was in stock at 3 places I was on the waiting list. Shortly after Cabelas put them on sale for $579 and I also had a coupon to reduce it further. I had only heard great things about the tikka and after fitting with a Leupold rimfire it was accurate enough that I passed the CZ 452 off to another member here. A friend is a hard core Brno fan who came here from the Czech republic 20 or so years ago. He believes the Brno factory was the truly accurate high end rifle while the CZ factory was more mass produced military factory and accuracy and fit and finish suffered with the merger and gradual elimination of the BRNO factory. I have never owned a CZ or Brno that supported his theory. The tikka is every bit as accurate and a bit more compact as those 26 inch barrels and wing safeties did not always work for me.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:34 PM

You cannot go wrong with either, both are great rifles made by great manufactures! Buy one, team up with another AO member who has the other and go out shooting for the day!
Old 08-10-2020, 07:43 PM
Banned

I haven’t played with the rimfire Tikka but several centerfire, I’d be all about it if buying now. I have one of the first .17 hmr 452’s to hit this part of the world likely 2004, and it Likely won’t ever be for sale. That thing has been awesome, and they seem to season with age if anything. I just stripped and cleaned it long overdue and like new if not better. You can’t go wrong. One will get you in the feelers a little more than the other though. So if you like that old world grow on you type stuff go for the cz. If new sanitary bomber precision is all that matters I’m sure the Tikka is the choice.😉
Old 08-11-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Thanks again!

So buy a 457? Safety and trigger issues have been addressed, not that I've ever had an issue with either.

I own 2 452, 1 453, 2 455's and 1 457. Mixed bag of hmr and 22. Likely won't buy a Tikka due to the gaudy synthetic stock and doubt I'd shoot one any better than the CZ's.

Last edited by 270person; 08-11-2020 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I asked Prairie Gun Traders this spring for an ETA on the LH models. Their info was fall 2020 some time. That was before all this CV19 craziness, and who knows how that's affected the timelines.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:11 AM
Banned

What intrigued me most about the Tikka is the fact it sits in the t3x stock, so any stock available for the t3x can be used on the t1x. For people with young kids especially, this will be a great learning tool to graduate them from their first 22 to their first big game rifle imo.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
What intrigued me most about the Tikka is the fact it sits in the t3x stock, so any stock available for the t3x can be used on the t1x. For people with young kids especially, this will be a great learning tool to graduate them from their first 22 to their first big game rifle imo.
Same as the trigger, any aftermarket trigger for T3x will work on it at well. I was able to get the factory trigger on my T1x to1.5lbs which works for me.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:42 PM

The OP didn't specify, but I'm assuming that he's looking at the left hand 452 American that CZ kept in production when they switched to the 455.

If the OP is looking at an American, the rail is 3/8. But, a quick google search of 'cz 452 american dovetail size' will show the experiences of lots of people who have had difficulty putting 3/8 dovetail rings on the CZ 3/8 dovetail. Some rings work, some rings don't. I know that I had a set of 3/8 rings that sat cockeyed on the cz dovetail. Ended up using adapters from J&P gunsprings to mount Burris Signature Zee rings.

Talley makes a set of 3/8 dovetail rings specifically for the 452/453
https://www.talleymanufacturing.com/...-talley-rings/

Maybe people can share what rings worked on the 452/453 American for them.

Not sure why CZ didn't just stick with their 11mm dovetail on all versions of the 452

CZ dovetail info

Old 08-11-2020, 03:56 PM

CCI MiniMag HP shot through my T1X. Five shot groups. Circle are loonie size.
50yds.

My T1x averages about 0.65 inch with this ammo, so this target would be a bit better than average. Solid hunting rimfire. But then, so are my 452's.