Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-10-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Just got a quote for a couple options. Looking for feedback.

Option #1
GOODMAN GMSS Single Stage Furnace 93%
GOODMAN GSX 13 A/C

Option #2
GOODMAN GMVC 2 stage Variable Speed Furnace 96%
GOODMAN GSX 13 A/C

Small bi-level house so going with a 1.5ton AC unit. There is a $1000 difference between the two installed. $6500 vs $7500 plus GST.
I am not in the least a Goodman fan but of your choices I would most certainly choose the variable speed furnace. The extra cost will reduce energy consumption and will return your investment in 3-5 years. In the meantime you will enjoy a quieter furnace and more even heating.

It would be interesting to see the specs on your home. Unless you have very limited air flow or are living in a very small home 1.5 is tiny. It would also be interesting to see the size on the furnace.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 AM

We live in a modified bi-level that is 883 sq ft upstairs open loft style to the basement.

As for the furnace both units are 60K BTUH
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
For a new furnace and AC, those are really good prices but I do not know the GOODMAN line of products at all so that could be why the prices are so low
Goodman is the Walmart/McDonalds of the HVAC world. Contractors choose them because they are cheap and easy to get. They are owned by a very large Japanese company called Daikin.

They flood the market with units that just make the minimal SEER and efficiency standards at very low pricing and are generally rated lowest by Consumer groups. In fact they only market 2 models of AC (which are never available) which have an energy star rating according to the web.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
We live in a modified bi-level that is 883 sq ft upstairs open loft style to the basement.

As for the furnace both units are 60K BTUH
1.5 should do it as long as you don't have excessive exposure to the south and a large amount of windows.

60 for a furnace should be the right fit. If you choose the staging/variable speed furnace be sure to get a staging type stat that will utilize these features.

The pricing is certainly low and you will get what you pay for.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:05 AM

My ac unit is Amana ASX160241 which is manufactured by Goodman, same factory makes both, both units look exactly the the same. The Amana has a better warranty though, limited lifetime compressor and limited 10 year parts. ( They replace the complete unit if the compressor dies ) With some research it appears that Maytag owns Goodman and Amana in some kind of round about way. Wouldn't surprise me if GE owns Maytag. LOL ( Aren't most appliances owned by two or three of the big guys) ?

1975 950 sq ft south facing bi level with a little bit of insulation upgrades and newer windows and they installed a 2 ton. They said a 1.5 ton would probably do the job but it was getting close to the limit so a 2 ton would be better. I had two quotes and both said 2 ton.

Your price looks good but consider going a little higher in seer, which would probably raise your price a little but it would be an upgrade of a couple models with a couple better upgrades on the unit.. Mine is 16 seer. scroll type compressor. Do some research.

I know nothing about the Goodman furnace.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
My ac unit is Amana ASX160241 which is manufactured by Goodman, same factory makes both, both units look exactly the the same. The Amana has a better warranty though, limited lifetime compressor and limited 10 year parts. ( They replace the complete unit if the compressor dies ) With some research it appears that Maytag owns Goodman and Amana in some kind of round about way. Wouldn't surprise me if GE owns Maytag. LOL ( Aren't most appliances owned by two or three of the big guys) ?

1975 950 sq ft south facing bi level with a little bit of insulation upgrades and newer windows and they installed a 2 ton. They said a 1.5 ton would probably do the job but it was getting close to the limit so a 2 ton would be better. I had two quotes and both said 2 ton.

Your price looks good but consider going a little higher in seer, which would probably raise your price a little but it would be an upgrade of a couple models with a couple better upgrades on the unit.. Mine is 16 seer. scroll type compressor. Do some research.

I know nothing about the Goodman furnace.
Goodman is owned by the Japanese company Diakin. Amana was actually top tier and manufactured in a different facility but I believe they will be phased out eventually if not already. The Maytag experiment was an absolute flop as contractors could not keep up with the warranty issues. They did look cool though in all stainless.

Diakin is building a massive manufacturing and distribution center in Texas. It is most impressive if you do a little Google search. They purchased Goodman more for the distribution chain into the NA market place. Some speculate they will cannibalize Goodman and go strictly with the Diakin name but Goodman does massive volume and plans change.
Old 07-12-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Goodman is owned by the Japanese company Diakin. Amana was actually top tier and manufactured in a different facility but I believe they will be phased out eventually if not already. The Maytag experiment was an absolute flop as contractors could not keep up with the warranty issues. They did look cool though in all stainless.

Diakin is building a massive manufacturing and distribution center in Texas. It is most impressive if you do a little Google search. They purchased Goodman more for the distribution chain into the NA market place. Some speculate they will cannibalize Goodman and go strictly with the Diakin name but Goodman does massive volume and plans change.
I stand corrected. I was just going on information on a couple old brochures.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.