Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2021, 11:16 AM

Default Bow river advice

Hey guys I’m gunna be heading down to Calgary to fish the bow this week. Unfortunately it looks like the only trip I’ll be doing this summer. Never really fished the bow before so if anyone has any tips on how to fish it/what to use right now it would be much appreciated. Only got a couple days so if I catch a fish or 2 I will be happy! Thank you!!
Old 06-14-2021, 12:08 PM

You're biggest challenge is probably going to be high-water levels and flows, so the fish are probably going to be tucked in close to the banks to seek some relief from the current. I'd probably mostly use streamers right now and try to fish close to the shore, but I'm not really a Bow River expert by any stretch. Be careful out there, last week they had a boating advisory due to the high flows, but I think that was lifted last week. Most years the Bow's flows from run-off don't really start getting back to normal until right around Stampede time in early July, so you're sort of right around the time the river runs the fastest / highest during the year.
Old 06-14-2021, 12:52 PM

Spin or fly fishing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk4 View Post
Hey guys I’m gunna be heading down to Calgary to fish the bow this week. Unfortunately it looks like the only trip I’ll be doing this summer. Never really fished the bow before so if anyone has any tips on how to fish it/what to use right now it would be much appreciated. Only got a couple days so if I catch a fish or 2 I will be happy! Thank you!!
Old 06-14-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
You're biggest challenge is probably going to be high-water levels and flows, so the fish are probably going to be tucked in close to the banks to seek some relief from the current. I'd probably mostly use streamers right now and try to fish close to the shore, but I'm not really a Bow River expert by any stretch. Be careful out there, last week they had a boating advisory due to the high flows, but I think that was lifted last week. Most years the Bow's flows from run-off don't really start getting back to normal until right around Stampede time in early July, so you're sort of right around the time the river runs the fastest / highest during the year.
Thanks! Slow water will definitely be the key! Yeah bad timing for sure But a couple days trying it out will still be fun!
Old 06-14-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Spin or fly fishing.
Fly fishing