Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-17-2021, 06:08 PM

Default bow river help/tips !!

hey y'all, since this is my first post- just a quick intro, i've been fly fishing since i was a kid but i guess things just got busy and here i am now in college and i've got a ton of time on my hands now, so i've been looking to do more fly fishing with my time this season. just like most folks on the forum, i'm from cowtown which means the bow's the closest river plus everything out west is closed til june 16th. unfortunately i'm sure we all know how tuff she is to fish, and it's been years since i've last caught one. lately i've hit a couple well-known to be productive spots but i can't seem to get into anything despite running a 9' leader with a sjw and ww. really don't know what i'm doing wrong but if anyone can help me out or point me to the right direction please let me know/shoot a pm!!

cheers and tight lines!
Old 05-17-2021, 06:57 PM

https://www.calgaryriverusers.org/th...n-it-deserves/

Populations are way down that study was 2003-2013 some guys are saying it’s more like 80% down from 2003 to current. I haven’t fished the bow since the flood and didn’t want to relearn my spots. The best advice I can give is just get out there and keep trying different spots some holes produce browns really well and others rainbows. I’m sure if you get on the right combo of presentation and fly you’ll be into them just remember your spots I’ve always done really well with prince nymphs size (20-22) clouser minnows and sanjuans this time of year.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylane19 View Post
hey y'all, since this is my first post- just a quick intro, i've been fly fishing since i was a kid but i guess things just got busy and here i am now in college and i've got a ton of time on my hands now, so i've been looking to do more fly fishing with my time this season. just like most folks on the forum, i'm from cowtown which means the bow's the closest river plus everything out west is closed til june 16th. unfortunately i'm sure we all know how tuff she is to fish, and it's been years since i've last caught one. lately i've hit a couple well-known to be productive spots but i can't seem to get into anything despite running a 9' leader with a sjw and ww. really don't know what i'm doing wrong but if anyone can help me out or point me to the right direction please let me know/shoot a pm!!
For nymphing you have to be on the bottom, so if you aren't loosing flies you aren't deep enough. caddis' are coming off like crazy so right now I'd fish a caddis nymph below a SJW.
Old 05-19-2021, 01:37 PM

thanks for the suggestions ! as funny as this sounds i've actually been trying to go for whites, never caught any before so it'd be cool to have a new species on the line. i'm thinking it could also be my setup not having bb split shots? is it really that necessary if i'm running a weighted ww? also this might be one that's up for debate but is timing/weather important for getting fish on the bow (e.g. morning vs noon, sunny/overcast)?

cheers and tight lines!
Old 05-19-2021, 06:17 PM

Keep in mind most all rainbows are gone spawning now.so browns it is.I suggest you put a gps on Jayhads truck and follow him,lol.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylane19 View Post
thanks for the suggestions ! as funny as this sounds i've actually been trying to go for whites, never caught any before so it'd be cool to have a new species on the line. i'm thinking it could also be my setup not having bb split shots? is it really that necessary if i'm running a weighted ww? also this might be one that's up for debate but is timing/weather important for getting fish on the bow (e.g. morning vs noon, sunny/overcast)?
again you must determine if you are heavy enough to be bouncing on the bottom, you shouldn't be loosing flies a bundle and dredging up gunk on your flies, that's a little too heavy.

If you are rocking a sink tip as stated it will be very difficult to learn how to nymph, not impossible but a large obstacle.
Your nymphing setup should be basically as follows. WF Floating line, 6' of a tapered leader butt with bobber at near top, swivel, 3' leader, fly, 2' leader, fly. Split shot if need goes above the swivel with in 1'

Some will offer other options but that is the basic setup most guides will string you up with on the Bow.

For a Whitefish use the wireworm and a small beaded blood worms like sz16-18
Old 05-20-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
again you must determine if you are heavy enough to be bouncing on the bottom, you shouldn't be loosing flies a bundle and dredging up gunk on your flies, that's a little too heavy.

If you are rocking a sink tip as stated it will be very difficult to learn how to nymph, not impossible but a large obstacle.
Your nymphing setup should be basically as follows. WF Floating line, 6' of a tapered leader butt with bobber at near top, swivel, 3' leader, fly, 2' leader, fly. Split shot if need goes above the swivel with in 1'

Some will offer other options but that is the basic setup most guides will string you up with on the Bow.

For a Whitefish use the wireworm and a small beaded blood worms like sz16-18
lol ya i guess no rainbows for now hence the pursuit for rockies and a brown or two would be sweet.

thanks for the nymphing tips! i'll definitely try that out! i've been having a rough time casting a long ass leader (birds nest when windy) and hooking didymo/"toilet paper" the past little bit so hopefully this will help! (time to hit the bow more before runoff lol)

cheers and tight lines!
Old 05-20-2021, 09:07 PM

If you are running a sink tip, use streamers. 2 bow river buggers (the type of bugger with spun deer hair head) in tandem with alternating colors, one a light color (usually closer to you) and the trailing streamer being a darker color and sometimes a smaller size.

Clouser minnows, Sparkle minnows, Kreelex minnows, big size 10 prince nymphs, all work as well fished in tandem.

It's also pretty common practice to fish a couple wooly buggers under an indicator in tandem, this is very effective for beginners because you can have very ugly line mending skills and still catch fish. Sometimes the ugly mends are what triggers the bite.

The populations are down, but I've seen some pretty massive fish coming from the bow and it's tributaries the last few years.