Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-15-2021, 06:49 PM

Default Fly Tying Advice

Hello,

I got a tying vice kit, a bunch of materials, and a bunch of hooks for my birthday this year for my birthday. The associate from Cabela'a assisted my wife in picking out all of the materials to tie a green wooly bugger, so that's what I'll start with.

I'm a relative newbie when it comes to fly fishing, let alone fly tying, so I'm here for your advice!

What are your favourite trout flies to tie? I love fishing dries since I don't know how to efficiently fish nymphs and wet flies, so that will be apart of my learning curve in the coming months and years.

Thanks for any tips! I've already done some looking at the step-by-step posts people have posted. I'll be sure to contribute to those threads as I become more proficient.

Tight Lines!

Jeff
Old 05-15-2021, 08:02 PM
Banned

Adams, Prince Nymphs, Zug Bugs, BWO's, Elk Hair Caddis, Brassies (copper or red), red and white candy canes, mosquito's, etc. They will all catch trout in Alberta.

And welcome to the addiction. I have been tying for less than a year and I think I already have more money invested in tying than I do reloading. I don't mind though, it's a good way of passing the time, especially on those colder days when you aren't motivated to leave the house. Just make sure you keep a good supply of hooks and beads to satisfy those days.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:10 PM

Default Welcome Jeff

O.K. this is advice form a self taught fly fisherman, with over 60 years experience.
If you can get some one to teach you how to fish nymphs you will be a very successful fisherman. If you like to fish dry flys, you are like most of us.
Alberta has some great (famous) dry fly hatches and you'll soon know about lots of them, You can always find caddis fly hatches, and now and again grasshoppers being blown on to a stream. The later produces legendary dry fly experiences.
There are at least 2 kinds of fly tyers, ones who ty flys that could fool God and the rest of us, who just try hard enough to fool a fish.
I'm in the later group.
Careful wading and careful presentation counts more than anything! (Grandfather) never forget this.
O.K. watch youtube videos on how to ty the flys that you want.
One tip, for dry flys only use material that always floats, in Alberta that is Elk hair, and it is second to none. I ty Elk hair caddis flys and elk hair hoppers and that is now it.
Welcome to the addiction, I still love it and am on my way to the Castle on Monday.
Old 05-15-2021, 08:13 PM

Are you fishing still water or moving water?

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-15-2021, 10:28 PM

Awesome and welcome to the fly tying community! One book I really enjoy is the following: https://www.amazon.ca/Fly-Tying-Bibl...5504/ref=nodl_

Lots of fly patterns for dries, nymphs, wet flies, streamers and with good instruction. When I started, I would just pick a few easier patterns (flies are rated for difficulty in book), order the materials and get tying. Soon enough you will accumulate both material and experience!

Another thing, I took a beginner fly tying course from Gary Hanke and I felt like my skill immediately improved 10-fold. There were lots of little tricks and tips that I had wished I had known earlier. If your able to, I would recommend taking a course! Even an afternoon with an experienced fly tyer would really help get the ball rolling! Many tyers are of course self-taught, but if I could go back a couple years, I would take a course right off the bat. Feels like I wasted a bit of time and materials prior to me taking the course.

Anyways, tight lines and have fun!
Old 05-16-2021, 02:00 AM

I suggest watching the Thursday Night Fly Tying episodes by Fly Fishing Bow River Outfitters. They have a page on YouTube or it can be accessed off their website. In their episodes they go over stuff that people ask like, types of thread, head cements, tying techniques like whip finishing and half hitches, spinning deer hair etc. I just started tying this year and learned a lot from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-16-2021, 11:19 AM

You tube /Googgle lots of guys do step x step of just about any fly.Wooly buggers etc. Deer hair for floaters,or incorp. some macrame or foam
Old 05-16-2021, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Are you fishing still water or moving water?
Both, but I am proficient on neither lol.

I prefer small to medium streams, but they're less accessible to me due to my location, so It's easier for me to hit the local trout ponds.
Old 05-16-2021, 02:50 PM

Been tying flies for 50 years and never took a course but bought a few books way back then. Nowadays all you have to do is a Google search for the type of fly you want to tie and you'll get more videos and advice than you'll ever need!

And don't rely on Cabela's, or even the Fishin' Hole, having all or any of the materials you need/want in the future. Some on line shopping places like Togen's and Canadian Llama are really good for both inventory and quick service, and the prices are often lower than the aforementioned local stores.
Old 05-16-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post
Both, but I am proficient on neither lol.

I prefer small to medium streams, but they're less accessible to me due to my location, so It's easier for me to hit the local trout ponds.
These are all still water patterns that work.

http://dubbingloop.blogspot.com/

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-17-2021, 07:42 AM

welcome to the addiction!!! all good advice above, the only thing I would add is try and find a local flyfishing club if possible. I learned the most while I was a member of the Kilpatrick Flyfishers out of Saskatoon, the camraderie second to none and all are willing sharers of knowledge both of technique and fishing spots.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:42 AM

Based on my personal experience I'd recommend starting with larger patterns like the woolly buggers/leeches and minnow/shiners. It is easier to tie larger patterns and learn how to layer on the material for the fly to make it look good. It takes time to get the feel for tying smaller flies especially when you have sausage fingers like myself. Practice lots and never write off some of your early "creations" as they often prove to be the ugliest yet most successful flies.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:08 PM

The most common problem new tiers have is using to much dressing/material.
Tie them sparce for better looks and results.

Don't be afraid to substitute materials in a pinch. Black lab has ended up in some flies asking for bear hair.
Old 05-21-2021, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
The most common problem new tiers have is using to much dressing/material.
Tie them sparce for better looks and results.

Don't be afraid to substitute materials in a pinch. Black lab has ended up in some flies asking for bear hair.
When I lived on the coast, white mane from my collie dog was a great substitute for polar bear hair in steelhead flies!

Agree with earlier post about starting off with larger patterns to get the feel of materials and how they go together.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:44 PM

There's some great advice posted here. I started this tying journey just before Christmas 2020, Youtube is your friend. I started watching some videos posted by scflytying ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB6tss3hGZc ) this got me confident enough to do some serious damage.
There's so much information out there and some very talented people. I really enjoy it and have to admit have spent far more on materials than i ever would have spent on flies... not that i would ever share that snippet with my wife.
Old 05-25-2021, 10:47 PM

Take Gary Hanke's fly tying course and pick his brain on tactics . He's one of the most knowledgeable fly fishermen around.
Old 05-25-2021, 11:09 PM

Tie thousands of flies, seek out what the pre-war writers have to tell you about the sport, but don't forget to buy a car and go out and get laid sometimes.