Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-15-2021, 02:17 PM

Default Dry flies on still water

How do you fish dry flies on perfectly still water like on a pond? Do you just let the fly float with no movement/drag whatsoever, or do you twitch the rod, or slowly retreive the fly to give it some movement like a bug fluttering on the water? Conversely, on water with some wind and small riffles, do you just let the riffles carry the dry fly away naturally with no drag? I feel as though the fish are seeing my leader or some unnatural movement or something and getting spooked.

Thanks,
Randy
Old 06-15-2021, 02:44 PM

I use very light twitches.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:39 PM

Default Careful wading! and careful presentation

That usually works, but sometimes a big splash works too, with a hopper. cast it a bit high so that it drops and then twitch it as much as you want.
You will never stop learning.
Old 06-15-2021, 06:32 PM

I have always had trouble catching fish on dries on stillwater. They have to long to inspect the fly. I have had luck on hopper patterns late in the hopper season on really windy days, always add a little twitch to that. But.... my wife fishing real hoppers that I caught for her and only able to cast about 10 ft outfished me 22 to 6.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-15-2021, 06:38 PM

I like little twitches not enough to be splashy but more of almost a vibration but only if I am getting no interest. Depending on conditions just a still presentation can work well if you can predict which way rising fish are travelling.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 06-15-2021, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the tips! I saw on YouTube some guys use a degreaser on their tippet as well. Supposed to break the surface tension and elliminate any shine that might give it away.

Last edited by Runewolf1973; 06-15-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:40 PM

Some folks use a fluorocarbon tippet (sinks a little)
Old 06-16-2021, 09:58 AM

Default Still water can be very humbling!

Try to cast so that your fly lights on the water, it has to land last. One member mentioned giving it a twitch, it imitates a fly drying its wings before takeoff, you'll need to practice this.
Try to make sure the fly you are using is the same size as what is hatching.
Do not false cast over where the fish is rising.
Don't drop the fly on the fish just a little ahead of it if possible.
If a slight wind comes up, try dapping, turn your back to the breeze, hold your rod as high as possible, and let out just enough line so that the breeze picks it up and gravity puts it back down, you can move the fly around enough for the fish to think that they are hatching flys taking off.
Do not rip line off the water prior to the next cast, ever, pick it up and shoot it with the next cast.
When I was learning I used to look behind me and make sure my back cast had straightened out before I started the rod forward, if you are having some trouble this might help.
Good luck, and if there is anything that we can help with just ask.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Try to cast so that your fly lights on the water, it has to land last. One member mentioned giving it a twitch, it imitates a fly drying its wings before takeoff, you'll need to practice this.
Try to make sure the fly you are using is the same size as what is hatching.
Do not false cast over where the fish is rising.
Don't drop the fly on the fish just a little ahead of it if possible.
If a slight wind comes up, try dapping, turn your back to the breeze, hold your rod as high as possible, and let out just enough line so that the breeze picks it up and gravity puts it back down, you can move the fly around enough for the fish to think that they are hatching flys taking off.
Do not rip line off the water prior to the next cast, ever, pick it up and shoot it with the next cast.
When I was learning I used to look behind me and make sure my back cast had straightened out before I started the rod forward, if you are having some trouble this might help.
Good luck, and if there is anything that we can help with just ask.

Great! Thank you!
Old 06-16-2021, 03:56 PM

Default Dry flies on still water

I’ve had some awesome action using dries on stillwater, in the evening when the trout are rising, by trying to match the hatch, (witch usually means very small flies) and waiting for a trout to rise, then casting to it. They usually hit it seconds after it hits the water.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:19 PM
Banned

I love using an elk hair caddis on still water especially during a hatch. I pull it fast on the surface 10 or 20" at a time then rest to imitate a skittering adult fly. it sure brings fantastic strikes!
Old 06-17-2021, 06:36 PM

Default Dry fly with a dropper nymph?

I have never tried this, when I was learning there were only wet flys and dry flys.
Here is my idea, and there are people here who can add very helpful tips.
If you are dapping, I have always thought that a nymph dropped under the dry caddis fly would work great. As the wind picks up the caddis fly, the nymph under water would rise to the surface like a nymph about to hatch.

I' d like to know; what nymph should I use, what kind of leader, and how long, and last, where should I attach it?

See what I meant about always learning.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:50 PM

I like my dry flies to sit high and dry. Once it’s on the water, I let it float. I don’t do anything to encourage it’s sinking, or create leader wake. Different story with a wet fly, which gets an array of action. When fly nymphing, I shoot it out, give it time to sink, then jerk it back in.
When I buy leaders, I buy them for light dry casting. As they get consumed, and stouter, they get switched to wet and sinking.
For Alberta parkland lakes, the Idaho has out produced any nymph I’ve tried
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3C645EE0-6916-44CB-B59E-CB1DD78C7232.jpeg (9.7 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:36 PM
Banned

One of my go to moves on ponds with stockers was to cast out a bushy mosquito pattern and tug on the line just enough to pull it under and then let it rise back up. They would take it just below the surface. Only works a couple times before you have to false cast like a lunatic to dry it off again.

example:
https://www.orvis.com/mosquito-dry-fly/0331.html

I haven't been fishing like that in a while and when I tried last season I kept watching rises and trying to get in front of the fish like I was casting at bones in the salt flats. That doesn't work, they are more unpredictable with direction of travel and you will spook them.
Old 06-21-2021, 02:54 PM

Goddard caddis,Elk hair caddis,Mitch's sedge.When the sedge fly emerges,it dries it's wings.Then it attempts to fly off.Often running on the surface.So drag,your imt,quick enough .As to create a wake[v ] ,in front .Mid june/july .
Old 06-21-2021, 07:52 PM

Hi. More often than not, the evening or morning rise on lakes will be to emerging midges or midges laying eggs on the water. If you see tiny bugs dragging their bum on the water it's laying eggs. Try a size 18 griffiths gnat. If you see nothing and the trout rises are like boils, they're most likely taking midge (chironomid) pupa just under the surface. Use size 14 or 16 zebra midge and let it sit out there. Make sure it's unweighted so it just sinks under the surface. I've caught tones of trout using these methods. Of course if they're rising to something you can see like a caddis, just imitate that. Make sure to use a leader about nine feet and tie on about two or three feet tippet of appropriate size. Also, watch a video on the different types of rise forms. If no rises, they're feeding subsurface and probably won't rise to a dry fly.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:38 PM

Default A nyphing expert

Orvisman is the one to ask about nymphs, I knew we had an expert or two. His comments on emerging flys is 100% gold. Ask him any questions that you have.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:36 AM

Quote:
I have never tried this, when I was learning there were only wet flys and dry flys.
Here is my idea, and there are people here who can add very helpful tips.
If you are dapping, I have always thought that a nymph dropped under the dry caddis fly would work great. As the wind picks up the caddis fly, the nymph under water would rise to the surface like a nymph about to hatch.

I' d like to know; what nymph should I use, what kind of leader, and how long, and last, where should I attach it?

See what I meant about always learning.
Scottish loch style!
My favorite is one of my Scud missiles, a basic scud pattern with a small bead head, with a big Elk Hair caddis or Tom Thumb dry for the top fly.
Back swimmers also work well for a dropper in still water ponds
My dropper leader is usually about 3 feet, depending on the day or evening.
Cat
Old 06-22-2021, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Orvisman is the one to ask about nymphs, I knew we had an expert or two. His comments on emerging flys is 100% gold. Ask him any questions that you have.
Not an expert at anything. Just a typical evening situation at the pothole lakes in the Edmonton area.
Old 06-23-2021, 08:18 AM

I’ve used the Lady McConnell chironomid dry with success when fishing to emerging chironomids.

From the pattern published I substitute craft foam for the over back rather than deer hair.

https://www.intheriffle.com/in-the-r...lady-mcconnell

Don