Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-30-2019, 12:56 PM

Default Sunpine Road

Is it still closed to the public and gate locked?
Old 07-01-2019, 12:24 PM

If it’s the same one I’m thinkin of it looks like it’s open
Old 07-01-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
Is it still closed to the public and gate locked?
I have from a reliable source that it is a $10,000 automatic fine (case went to court, Sunpine won) to use that road.

So unless the company's owner has had a change of heart, locked or not, word is that the road is closed to the public. Best to stick to North Fork road.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
I have from a reliable source that it is a $10,000 automatic fine (case went to court, Sunpine won) to use that road.

So unless the company's owner has had a change of heart, locked or not, word is that the road is closed to the public. Best to stick to North Fork road.
I camped down the sunpine near the bridge years ago. great fishing there.

I spoke to a F+W officer a few years ago and he mentioned its only restricted to motorized vehicals on he road. Bicycle or foot is good to go. I've contemplated using a bike with a little trailer and riding the 8.8 km from the north fork road.
Old 07-01-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
I camped down the sunpine near the bridge years ago. great fishing there.

I spoke to a F+W officer a few years ago and he mentioned its only restricted to motorized vehicals on he road. Bicycle or foot is good to go. I've contemplated using a bike with a little trailer and riding the 8.8 km from the north fork road.
If you have a decent 4x4 there’s s trail off of thunder mountain that will take you to the bridge.

BW
Old 07-01-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
If you have a decent 4x4 there’s s trail off of thunder mountain that will take you to the bridge.

BW
Just a stock F250
Old 07-03-2019, 01:21 PM

hey guys. I dont post here generally but was reading this thread as im looking at heading up to the area for the first time. Wouldnt there have to be a no trespassing sign every 150 ft in order to have someone charged for going down what looks like an open road?
Old 07-03-2019, 03:15 PM

Personally I wouldn't chance it. There's a reason they post those signs every 150 feet.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:34 AM

theres a big sign at the gate stating that it is a private road and no unauthorized vehicles (on hiway and off hiway) are allowed on road subject to fine. includes atv's but we use that road a lot with our quads and have not had any problem so far but we only go to the bridge and a few trails that lead off the road. have seen a few people camping around the bridge. we have also used the road to get to thunder road when the gate is open and the roads are slimy as the big hill climb by rough creek can get pretty bad up or down.
there are quite a few haul roads in the area and they all have big signs stating the same (Pinto haul road comes to mind).

that all being said it is a private road so you use at your own risk of getting fined if they catch you.

rgds
Mike
Old 07-08-2019, 01:57 PM

ahh yes if its clearly marked at the entrance i supposed that's it and all.

What about some of these other roads that dont appear to have names or dwelling? They look like the go south and end at the north bank. i cant find anything on them.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...15.9460079,12z
Old 07-08-2019, 03:18 PM

ahh yes if its clearly marked at the entrance i supposed that's it and all.

What about some of these other roads that dont appear to have names or dwelling? They look like the go south and end at the north bank. i cant find anything on them.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/c...15.9460079,12z
Old 07-10-2019, 10:56 AM

not sure on that side of river. but by driving down hwy 11, a lot of those roads are a combination of range roads, roads to campsites or private campgrounds/retreats, roads to sub-divisions or roads to lease sites. the only ones i know that go right down to the river are the ones to Saunders and Harlech campsites.

rgds
Mike
Old 07-31-2019, 06:59 AM

thanks! i drove back from Jasper through the area, but for got my copy of the Alberta trout highway and before long time became a factor in getting back to Calgary. But I will be up there again soon.