Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Post First Time Fly Fishing

Hi All,

I am looking at getting into fly fishing, I've been a spin-cast fisherman for 20+years but with my close proximity to what people claim as world class fly fishing I'm thinking about taking it up. Looking for some recommendations for a good rod and reel beginner setup.

Thanks in advance,

Big Shooter
Old 06-17-2019, 11:57 AM

TFO is very good quality and a good price. Plus the lifetime warranty is great. If you're from the Calgary area you can drive to their shop and replace any section of the rod for 30$ no questions asked. The only thing you may want to upgrade is the reel but I used the reel that came with the set up for the first 3 years I started. I've been fly fishing for 12 years now and still use my TFO 5 wt as my main rod. Never found a reason to buy a more expensive one.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:48 PM

Another vote for TFO. My first rod was a TFO 16 years ago. I also use a 5 wt TFO Professional as my main rod. Warranty service in Calgary is great.

Another really good option is the Echo Base package. I don't think there is a better rod in the price range and the reel is a decent starter reel. A couple of the fly shops in Calgary stock replacement tip sections. Definitely worth looking at.

Ken
Old 06-17-2019, 02:17 PM

I'll agree with dxh and haggis, one of my favourite rods to use is a 5 wt TFO. In the end the fish do not care how much you sent on your gear.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:25 PM

Default Fly Fishing

There are many great rods out there from a variety of manufacturers all with varying price points. My biggest piece of advice is go to a shop anbd cast some. What one individual thinks is the best rod they have owned may not suit you depending on the action of the rod or the feel. I have been fly fishing for over 30 years and this was the same advice given to me when I started and it pays off to try a few out. I own everything from Reddington, Sage, Thomas and Thomas to a Moonshine fly rod that I absolutely love and is one of my least expensive rods.

In the end it is all about personal preference and feel. Good luck to you and welcome to an addicting sport. If you have any questions DM me.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:50 PM

Yet another vote for TFO as a good starter rod. Don't know about their reels.

After trying a number of rods in low to mid price range the TFO ( for the money) is a pretty decent rod.

The entry, mid level TFO rods are fairly "forgiving" , meaning you don't need to be a great caster to get reasonable results.

That is not to say you won't need to put in the time to get some rythm, accuracy and distance but that would go with any rod you choose.

More money spent won't necessarily produce better results.

My only beef with low end rods is the guides will wear out much faster if you are using it often. ( 50-75 outings a year).

Practice, practice, practice and watch videos, get a lesson or two from a seasoned fly caster.

I was a spin guy for many years until picking up a fly rod.

Fly fishing is a whole other realm but it doesn't need to be complicated or super expensive.

Have fun and try not to get discouraged!
Old 06-25-2019, 07:39 PM

I have just switched from a TFO to a Scott rod, amazing difference in rod i have found. I did switch the action of the rod as well, so that could have helped as well. However a little faster lighter high end rod makes longer day's on the river a little easier.

I know people say it every time, but go to a shop tell them the price range you are willing to spend and see if they will let you try to cast it. don't try to maximize your rod, just cause you are willing to spend $1000, doesn't mean the $600 dollar rod wont fell better for you.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:38 AM

Love it when a company makes such a good product all their customers do the advertising for them. Look up any thread on here for what rod to buy and there is always a good response for tfo. Feels like we all work for them once you own one cuz you try to sell more. I’ve owned 5 rods. 3 tfo. And love them so much. Haven’t had a reason to spend more money. At least for Alberta anyhow.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigShooter View Post
Hi All,

I am looking at getting into fly fishing, I've been a spin-cast fisherman for 20+years but with my close proximity to what people claim as world class fly fishing I'm thinking about taking it up. Looking for some recommendations for a good rod and reel beginner setup.

Thanks in advance,

Big Shooter
Cabelas combo isn't bad in a 5 or 6 WT.

My advice is to find someone that can show you all there is to know about fly fishing....as there is a LOT to learn. One can get frustrated and give up easy, but stick with it. It is just fun casting, let along catching.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Love it when a company makes such a good product all their customers do the advertising for them. Look up any thread on here for what rod to buy and there is always a good response for tfo. Feels like we all work for them once you own one cuz you try to sell more. I’ve owned 5 rods. 3 tfo. And love them so much. Haven’t had a reason to spend more money. At least for Alberta anyhow.
Maybe they don't know any better.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:49 AM

Another vote for a TFO 5 wt. It’s been a good rod for me. Eventually I upgraded the line which was a big improvement from the stock line. Still catches fish and I purchased it 8 years ago.

Tags
beginner, fishing, fishing accessories, fly fishing, rod and reel