Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-24-2013, 11:06 AM

I'm having bad luck with reloading equipment.... tumbler busted after tumbling a total of 170 rounds of brass. I bent the rod which sizes necks on my brand new Hornady neck sizing die (only lasted 70 rounds). I'll get another neck sizing die but it won't be Hornady.

The tolerances on the Hornady dies are not as good as the RCBS. I'm going to find a higher end die which will work better and be less frustrating to set up and less frustrating to use than the Hornady dies. I'm learning that you get what you pay for.... and you end up buying twice if it's bad quality.

What dies are better than the RCBS?
Old 06-24-2013, 11:34 PM

Default Check brass in your rifle after re-sizing.

Am totally new to reloading and have read various manuals on how to set your dies. Set the dies and proceeded to load 65 rounds in 5 round groups with two powders and 1/2 grain increments. Took them out to my parents to see what type of groups I could get. Could not close bolt all the way when I chambered them. Tried it in my son's rifle (both 7-08) with same results. Read the Hornady pamphlet that came with the dies and saw they recommended contact with die and bushing (no back off 1/4 turn). Pulled de-capping pin up and resized, chambers nicely now. Lesson learned:
**Always try a case in your rifle when you set your dies up before loading**
Oh well, could have been worse I guess.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:01 PM

I know guys that go one step further and chamber loaded rounds as well as chambering resized brass to ensure there is no surprises when they go to pull the trigger.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseBurger View Post
I know guys that go one step further and chamber loaded rounds as well as chambering resized brass to ensure there is no surprises when they go to pull the trigger.
I sure do!
Cat
Old 06-25-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I sure do!
Cat
Me too.
Old 07-04-2013, 11:09 AM

heres a good one, just happened, about 20 of my match 308 rounds are loose when seating so i decide to anneal then resize ,seems to fix it. anyhow forgot to take primers out or place in a pan of water(would have kept primer cool) just held onto them till they got hot.

working along and BANG! one cooked off. was not in my hand ,just set aside

sure woke me up, and lesson learnt,haha. ive fired them off b4 in guns,but when your not expecting it and not in a chamber sure is loud. whew !
Old 07-12-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a little redneck View Post
I'm having bad luck with reloading equipment.... tumbler busted after tumbling a total of 170 rounds of brass. I bent the rod which sizes necks on my brand new Hornady neck sizing die (only lasted 70 rounds). I'll get another neck sizing die but it won't be Hornady.

The tolerances on the Hornady dies are not as good as the RCBS. I'm going to find a higher end die which will work better and be less frustrating to set up and less frustrating to use than the Hornady dies. I'm learning that you get what you pay for.... and you end up buying twice if it's bad quality.

What dies are better than the RCBS?
Redding makes quality dies I use them as well as RCBS
Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 PM

Just finished reloading 50-270 with barnes triple shok.My first box was short a couple of bullets so opened new one and assumed they where the same and continued.Wrong after loading and looking at the bullets they seemed to be a little short.Then looked inside box and found a paper from barnes saying at barnes bullets we are constantly striving to make a better product.In our request to build the best products ,we have made design changes to this bullet.Pleas be aware that if you have loaded this bullet in the past ,you may need to adjust your load/cartridge overall length to achieve the correct distance from the bullet to the riflings in the barrel. Would of been nice to look at the paper first.So just because you buy the same bullets doesn't mean they will be the same physical size.