Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Looks like they are not against all hunting. Even if they were, does one position of an organization invalidate all their positions? Does it invalidate all the stats used to arrive at those positions?

Is the position of the CMVA valid in your eyes?
No I don’t think it invalidates there stats. I’m a hunter so we just can’t be friends..
Old 09-16-2018, 12:05 PM

I'm not going to get into the debate of dog breeds.

Has anyone considered the possibility of Rabies or some other ailment that might have caused the dog to attack? My neighbour was killed and dismembered by a rabid horse of all things. Like a quiet tame backyard kids horse.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I didn't mention any breed specifically for that very reason. You will also see that nowhere did I mention banning, as bans are ineffective at changing peoples' behaviors and attitudes imo. I personally feel that people need to be responsible for their own lives, and also have a responsibility towards society and their fellow humans. If your dog kills someone, perhaps you should be charged with manslaughter with minimum jail times, and fines starting in the 6 figure range. Perhaps that would be more effective than 'banning'. Accountability would work for me.
Sounds like you want your points to work both ways. If comparing dogs to firearms it's a strawman argument as dogs "don't need any human agency to direct them, and sometimes they are impossible to direct at all". But if a dog attacks and is responsible for loss of life you've suggested the owner could be "charged with manslaughter with minimum jail times, and fines starting in the 6 figure rang". Can't logically work both ways. Either the owner is responsible for his dog, like a firearm, or he's not because the dog has certain traits the owner can't train out or predict.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
I agree. A ban would do nothing. Accountability would go a long ways.

I do on the other hand disagree with all of the "Its just the owner, not the breed" propaganda being pushed.
I absolutely believe that there are a number of breeds that have accounted for the vast majority of deadly and serious attacks. You can't argue the genetics of it. That's why I cannot understand the vast majority of apologists and owners who will try to blame the owner, or make straw man arguments comparing them to firearms...this isn't rocket surgery. Animal breeding has been going on for millenia, so why pretend that suddenly it has no bearing on the matter? Some animals plainly are more dangerous and capable of harming and killing. Regardless of the the owners own particular gene pool.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-16-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Sounds like you want your points to work both ways. If comparing dogs to firearms it's a strawman argument as dogs "don't need any human agency to direct them, and sometimes they are impossible to direct at all". But if a dog attacks and is responsible for loss of life you've suggested the owner could be "charged with manslaughter with minimum jail times, and fines starting in the 6 figure rang". Can't logically work both ways. Either the owner is responsible for his dog, like a firearm, or he's not because the dog has certain traits the owner can't train out or predict.
If a person chooses to own an animal that is capable of inflicting great harm or causing death, it is a choice. If the result is great harm or death because of his choice to own that type of animal, then he should pay the price, and a heavy one. Nobody compels a person to own that type of animal, nor can they predict or guarantee the actions of it. They are responsible to understand this potential before they acquire an animal imo. A firearm is required to be unloaded and stored in a locked container, where it can do no harm apart from human agency. Do you not see the difference? How is this illogical?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-16-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I absolutely believe that there are a number of breeds that have accounted for the vast majority of deadly and serious attacks. You can't argue the genetics of it. That's why I cannot understand the vast majority of apologists and owners who will try to blame the owner, or make straw man arguments comparing them to firearms...this isn't rocket surgery. Animal breeding has been going on for millenia, so why pretend that suddenly it has no bearing on the matter? Some animals plainly are more dangerous and capable of harming and killing. Regardless of the the owners own particular gene pool.
Exactly.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Breed, as in mutt like the article stated?
I never knew two breeds in one dog was considered a mutt...

Last edited by 1899b; 09-16-2018 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:58 PM

Default Must have been somewhere near here but I have not heard anything from neighbors

Was at gun show all day yesterday so when a sun herald reporter knocked on the door at 9 AM this morning I honestly told him I didn't know anything about it. An hour later a city/660 team in a van pulled up in yard as I was training the dogs asking if I knew the location.
Just saw a revised picture showing gate to property and recognized it as being one of my neighbors yards 1/4 mile north of here.

Last edited by wwbirds; 09-16-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:27 PM

What I don't get is how this dog is still alive (it is my understanding the officials just quarantined it). If this were a wild animal it would have been extinguished without thinking twice and in most cases just for posing a the threat of harming a human never mind actually killing someone.

I just shake my head of what our "politically correct" society is becoming. With that this breed stock should be outlawed and if it is the "owners" and "all in the way they are raised and treated" ban the owners of these dogs while we are at it.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
What I don't get is how this dog is still alive (it is my understanding the officials just quarantined it). If this were a wild animal it would have been extinguished without thinking twice and in most cases just for posing a the threat of harming a human never mind actually killing someone.

I just shake my head of what our "politically correct" society is becoming. With that this breed stock should be outlawed and if it is the "owners" and "all in the way they are raised and treated" ban the owners of these dogs while we are at it.
Maybe waiting for office hours to give it the ol needle. Happened on the weekend. Sweet dreams pup...
Old 09-16-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
What I don't get is how this dog is still alive (it is my understanding the officials just quarantined it).

I just shake my head of what our "politically correct" society is becoming
I heard on the news on the radio that the dog is being "monitored".
WHY??

The cops should have shot the thing right then and there!!

I don't care how "wonderful" an animal is supposed to be. Attack and/or bite a human - then die!

Last edited by sns2; 09-17-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:18 PM

I'm sure the it's a dead dog walking; the authorities will want to run some tests and ensure everything is in order before giving it a needle.

Lots of various breeds bite people, but when someone gets killed it's usually some various breed commonly known as a pit bull. American Stafford Terrier supporters, flame away.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-16-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I'm sure the it's a dead dog walking; the authorities will want to run some tests and ensure everything is in order before giving it a needle.

Lots of various breeds bite people, but when someone gets killed it's usually some various breed commonly known as a pit bull. American Stafford Terrier supporters, flame away.
It’s funny when a tiger turns on it’s trainer that has trained it since day one since it was a cub everyone says well what did ya expect? When a pittie, or rottie turns on and kills someone the pittie and rottie owners cry don’t blame the breed.... lmao
Old 09-16-2018, 04:49 PM

I would think that it is being quarantined to see if it has rabies. Then they would treat the 3 year old for rabies as well.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:29 PM

Where in Rockyview did this happen? I lived there for many years.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:11 PM

TV said the dog was mauling the kid and it was the Grandmother who intervened and was killed .... very sad, hope the kid recovers, wondering where were the parents with a baseball bat!

D.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:16 PM

If there was someplace I could vote to ban .... I would. Just a matter of time to another mauling. If one came onto my property it would never leave.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:22 PM

The dog will be apologized too, as well as all pitbullkind. Followed by a reward of 10 million treats.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
If there was someplace I could vote to ban .... I would. Just a matter of time to another mauling. If one came onto my property it would never leave.
Don’t blame you...
Old 09-16-2018, 06:27 PM

Thumbs down

Another case of keep a stupid dog win the ultimate prize.

People will never learn. Another few families destroyed for no reason at all.

What a horrible way to die. Think the kid will ever trust an animal?

Stupid.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-16-2018, 06:29 PM
Banned

It’s called instinct. Dogs are animals and susceptible to acting on instinct. I remember a few years back when a lab and a husky grabbed a 5 year old boy and drug him across the road from his farmyard and started tearing the kid to pieces. If it wasn’t for the neighbor, Cor, those two dogs would have killed that little boy.

Huskies are not far off from a wolf, it’s the lab that I was surprised at.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:58 PM

About 1974 I had a young male Malamute in Grande Cache. He showed a couple of bad behaviors (too protective of our kids / aggressive to other dogs) so I decided to give him to a trapper out at Muskeg. He took off the night before he was to head to his new home and was seen with a pack of dogs that had bit a kid who was playing with a bitch in heat. Fortunately, the bite did not break skin. Ernie died that day!!!
Old 09-16-2018, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Humane societies and I do not jive. They are antihunting for the most part. Maybe remember what forum this is. The BC SPCA is absolutely against any hunting. The Toronto Humane Society has spoken out against wolf hunting in the past. Research folks....
This is, if I'm not mistaken the Alberta OUTDOORSMAN forum.
I know lots of fine outdoorsmen (and women) who are campers, fisherfolk (who practice catch and release) and an overlanding family who have covered most of North and South America in the back of a Land Rover...camping for the last five years...who don't hunt.
I wasn't aware there was a law is that says you have to hunt to be an outdoorsman.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Another case of keep a stupid dog win the ultimate prize.

People will never learn. Another few families destroyed for no reason at all.

What a horrible way to die. Think the kid will ever trust an animal?

Stupid.

I agree. Sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2018, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I know lots of fine outdoorsmen (and women) who are campers, fisherfolk (who practice catch and release) and an overlanding family who have covered most of North and South America in the back of a Land Rover...camping for the last five years...who don't hunt.
I wasn't aware there was a law is that says you have to hunt to be an outdoorsman.
Yes its an Outdoorsman forum that promotes hunting.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:47 PM

I stopped to check a roadkill one winter afternoon. As I opened the door two malamutes came out of a Bush with an intent look in their eyes. I closed the door and drove away, I have zero doubt that those dogs would have attacked me.
I believe guard dogs/attack dogs/fighting dogs should be bred and used for defence of property not as pets.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
You don't need to hunt to be an outdoorsman , but by the same token, an outdoor forum is not really a suitable hangout for an anti hunter.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flange View Post
Don't disagree that firearms are different. My point is this is a property rights argument. At least in my mind. Bans' as you have, pointed out are highly ineffectual.
With that being said,where does the line get drawn?
Let’s say that when a dog gets loose and is off their property and maims or kills someone,then what?
I say the owner assumes full responsibility of their property and gets charged as if they done the action themselves.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:20 PM

They may never know what made the dog snap. We took in/rescued a 6 month Husky. She was beautiful and became buddies with our older dog. Slept together etc .. Until one morning we all just had got up and the Husky snapped and tried to kill the older dog. I broke it up and separated them for the day. That evening they were buddies again and they slept together. Next morning Husky was halfway up the stairs and turned around and tried to kill the older one again for no apparent reason. Off to the vet for the needle that morning. I got bitten a few times breaking up the fight. Vet sent brain etc to Edmonton for testing. Nothing physically wrong with the dog. Some times stuff happens.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 09-16-2018, 11:03 PM

I don't think stiffer penalties would act as a deterrent. Certainly lots of dog owners making truck payments, mortgage, etc, couldn't afford the fine and have nothing to sue for. Post incident is too late, this is one instance where big brother gov't has to lead. Ban the fighting, guarding breeds. Enough already.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King