Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2022, 05:19 PM

Default Countertops

What are most people installing these days for kitchen countertops? Looking at Quartz me thinks. Any recommendations or suggestions on who to buy and get install from in Edmonton area
Old 09-01-2022, 05:38 PM

I’ve been doing tons of research, and also thinking quartz when it’s time. There is a lot of great information about pros and cons of each type, but I’m looking for the most maintenance free that I can find.
Old 09-01-2022, 05:57 PM

Have quartz now, have had laminate, marble, granite, correl, wood and a man made form of quartz that I forget the name of. Lowest maintenance, most resilient is granite by a long shot. Contrary to popular belief they never need to be treated and they never stain. You can put a smoking hot cast iron pan on them and nothing happens. Need to be at least 3 inch thick for best results.

Lived in a house that was 650 years old. Still had the original granite counters. They don't treat granite or marble in Europe. Looked like new. Put it in the house in Calgary, was there ten years, never treated, never any issues. Will be replacing our quartz counters with granite when we Reno the kitchen next year.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-01-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:04 PM

I did concrete on my outdoor kitchen,easy enough to do myself.
Planning a new indoor kitchen soon,will do concrete again for the $ saved.Can spend money on hardware then.Ya theirs maintenance but its not that hard.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:15 PM
Banned

Have quartz, got is done by the hasar Hutterites. Went down and they let us pick the part of the slab we liked the best. I've heard multiple times quartz is less maintenance apposed to granite. Yes the only thing is don't put hot items on it, treat it like arborite.
Old 09-01-2022, 06:25 PM

I would suggest not to do business with PF manufacturing in Edmonton. They do countertops. They send out their master templates to be made into stone countertops to other stone companies. They do their laminate counters in house but farm out their stone tops.

In my personal experience with them they were not very honorable in how they treated employees. A few years ago I did master templating for stone countertops all around the province. I did master templates of some very elaborate designs for very expensive countertops for PF for 6 months. They decided to lay me off on christmas eve with no reason. I am certain that the stone division management got bonuses for my efforts and were given trips when they met a quota with the stone companies they dealt with. Something was quite tainted there.

If you look around hard, it would be expensive, but petrified wood makes really nice one of a kind countertops.

Sorry I cant give any recommendations around Edmonton. Just a bad taste in my mouth with PF.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-01-2022, 08:25 PM
Banned

i was told you can redo your laminate countertops three times for the cost of the 'fancy' tops.........what happens when you spend all that money on quartz, or granite, or on the latest rage and then want to change?

for you wiith lots of money, guess that doesn't matter, but to us peons, we can have three renos for the same cost.

different generations, i guess
Old 09-01-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
i was told you can redo your laminate countertops three times for the cost of the 'fancy' tops.........what happens when you spend all that money on quartz, or granite, or on the latest rage and then want to change?

for you wiith lots of money, guess that doesn't matter, but to us peons, we can have three renos for the same cost.

I'm with you, the logic escapes me. :lol The stone tops seem susceptible to damage, then what ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-01-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:

So how many times have you changed your countertops so far. I have never changed them more than once in any house I ever lived in. Like I said before, I lived in a house built in the 1600s that still had the original counter tops. Even if we decided to change them changing tops every 600 years doesn't seem too over the top and spend thrift to me. Show me a laminate countertop in great shape even after 50 years.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:45 PM
Banned

different strokes dean......fill yer boots. i have one hunting rifle too
Old 09-01-2022, 08:57 PM

We have granite (and had granite) in almost of all of our homes - no maintenance, lots of colors and design options and easy for daily use.

We have quartz and other solid surface counters in laundry room, bathrooms and a few areas - also easy to maintain and very durable.

We have marble in one bathroom, and it's sexy, but I probably wouldn't do that in the kitchen where it could stain (and does need some maintenance).

Ultimately it boils down to your budget and your taste - I really can't give you a "this one is way better than that one" argument.

Pick something you like, something that compliments your cabinets, backsplash and flooring and be happy.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
I'm with you, the logic escapes me. :lol The stone tops seem susceptible to damage, then what ?

Grizz
I disagree - Almost ANY stone/granite/solid surface counter top made today is FAR more durable compared to laminate.

How easily would knife cut laminate versus granite? what would a hot pot do to laminate versus solid surface?

Most of the choices out there are not susceptible to stains either .... so I really see many advantages out there beyond the cosmetic and equity (value) it provides when you go to resell your home.

I use my counters everyday and it adds value to my home. It's worth the extra cost for all of those reasons.
Old 09-01-2022, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
We have granite (and had granite) in almost of all of our homes - no maintenance, lots of colors and design options and easy for daily use.

We have quartz and other solid surface counters in laundry room, bathrooms and a few areas - also easy to maintain and very durable.

We have marble in one bathroom, and it's sexy, but I probably wouldn't do that in the kitchen where it could stain (and does need some maintenance).

Ultimately it boils down to your budget and your taste - I really can't give you a "this one is way better than that one" argument.

Pick something you like, something that compliments your cabinets, backsplash and flooring and be happy.
This post is put very well. I think this sums up everything perfectly actually. Big X2 on this one!
Old 09-02-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I disagree - Almost ANY stone/granite/solid surface counter top made today is FAR more durable compared to laminate.

How easily would knife cut laminate versus granite? what would a hot pot do to laminate versus solid surface?

Most of the choices out there are not susceptible to stains either .... so I really see many advantages out there beyond the cosmetic and equity (value) it provides when you go to resell your home.

I use my counters everyday and it adds value to my home. It's worth the extra cost for all of those reasons.
House prices are forecast to decline dramatically as interest rates rise, something to consider. What's that saying about women and shiny things ? I just redid the laminate counter tops in my house after 30 years, mostly out of boredom, did it myself, total cost about 600. Looks good and very practical.

Grizz

Old 09-02-2022, 08:18 AM
Banned

save your breath griz..........quartz it will probably be. money and logic be damned.

world is full of choices. hope the countertop is beautiful.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:06 AM

We did stone coat counter tops. Wife is pleased as punch, total cost was around 500 and a year in they still look great. Satisfaction from doing it ourselves is very high for the wife, she helped a lot, and she lets everyone know "we did that". With stone coat you can create whatever you want and it really seems to be wearing well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-02-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
save your breath griz..........quartz it will probably be. money and logic be damned.

world is full of choices. hope the countertop is beautiful.
No need to be like that. You don't see the value but a lot of folks do. The house on the acreage we had in Calgary was a very plain Jane affair when we bought it for $450,000. Over a couple of years we spent about 80,000 tarting it up inside. Marble floor tile in entries, living room and kitchen, Hardwood floors in family room, redo two bathrooms, granite counter tops in Kitchen, reface cupboards etc. Spent another $50,000 on a 3 car stand alone shop and some landscaping. That house resold for $1.2 million, the first day it was listed, with 4 competing offers. I think I am okay with the frivolousness of the cost of the Granite and marble.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-02-2022 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-02-2022, 09:41 AM
AO Sponsor

I have been wanting granite forever but my wife has yet to allow me to do it! I want nothing more than a countertop I can treat like a commercial kitchen and just set hot pots and pans down willy-nilly and looks great at the same time. Hell I would even have stainless if looks was not the primary goal for her.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 09-02-2022, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
No need to be like that. You don't see the value but a lot of folks do. The house on the acreage we had in Calgary was a very plain Jane affair when we bought it for $450,000. Over a couple of years we spent about 80,000 tarting it up inside. Marble floor tile in entries, living room and kitchen, Hardwood floors in family room, redo two bathrooms, granite counter tops in Kitchen, reface cupboards etc. Spent another $50,000 on a 3 car stand alone shop and some landscaping. That house resold for $1.2 million, the first day it was listed, with 4 competing offers. I think I am okay with the frivolousness of the cost of the Granite and marble.
it's all good dean......life is all about choices and what is right for one may not be so for another.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:14 AM

Quote:
it's all good dean......life is all about choices and what is right for one may not be so for another.
The latest fad seems to be stainless steel.

https://www.bobvila.com/articles/sta...l-countertops/

Grizz

Old 09-02-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
We currently have granite. Have done extensive cabinet reno's over the past year. Significant other is tired of the granite, decided she wants marble, she will get marble later this fall. We don't plan on moving or selling anytime soon.

BW
Old 09-02-2022, 11:26 AM

Now that we got thru value there of lol. Companies to deal with or wholesalers to order from Edm area?
Old 09-02-2022, 11:33 AM

we put quartz in our smaller kitchen 3 years ago. Went with Cambria installed by floform countertops located just off the Yellowhead. At the time if you are a Costco member you can go through them to get a prepaid costco card as part of the deal...I think ours was for for $600 on a well done $5k job.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:38 AM

I too am interested in good places in Edmonton for Granite counter tops as will need them next year. I checked HomeStars and Google, lots of terrible reviews. One with a number of good reviews on both is PF and Red B does not have much good to say about them. Urban Granite had the highest rating at 4.9 for 47 reviews but they don't show up well at all on HomeStars with a lot of bad reviews.

K&J's Custom Granite & Quartz Countertops
4.8(52) · Granite supplier
4912 72 Ave NW · (587) 805-2106
Open ⋅ Closes 5 p.m.
"... highly recommend them if you are considering granite countertops."
Urban Granite
4.9(47) · Granite supplier
5825 98 St NW · (780) 435-8686
Open ⋅ Closes 5 p.m.
"I will have a beautiful countertop for years to come."
PF Custom Countertops
4.5(121) · Countertop store
10417 174 St NW · (780) 484-0831
Open ⋅ Closes 4:30 p.m.
Sold here: granite countertops
Old 09-02-2022, 12:26 PM

Floform has recently purchased PF manufacturing. Some changes have been made. Just a little info.

Cascade should be considered. Locally owned. We have had could service with them over the years.

Best of luck.
Old 09-02-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbl170 View Post
Floform has recently purchased PF manufacturing. Some changes have been made. Just a little info.

Cascade should be considered. Locally owned. We have had could service with them over the years.

Best of luck.
We called PF last spring, they told us they would have our countertops made by Floform. She ordered through Flo Form.

BW
Old 09-03-2022, 12:33 PM

Just on the other side of a complete kitchen gut. 35 year old cheap arborite on cheap counter - brutal staining. I LOVE making schnitzels but seldom would as it would bounce the contents of drawers and cabinets when pounding the portions on the countertops.
Went with engineered quartz with some glass flecks. It is heavy and stable and make Schnitzel making a joy.
As a retired Chef I prefer to not land hot pans on counters as a rule,so Quartz was the best choice for my lifestyle and budget.
The cool temp of the new counter has upped my pastry game

Last edited by omega50; 09-03-2022 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2022, 02:17 PM

Take a look at Ideal Tile and Terrazzo in Winterburn and ask for Peter. Tell him Richard sent you. Tons of full granite slabs in stock with lots of colours. Point at one so you know exactly what you’re getting and they can come out an estimate and make templates. Mine are 20 years old and look like the day we put them in.