Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Banned

Default garden rocks.

ok here is the deal I bought this house I am in 4 years ago, the guy I bought the house from owned a landscape centre he told me just after buying the house he had a bad heart attack and got his guys to change the yard to all rock so he wouldn't have to mow it,anyways my wife wants to get rid of the rock in the back yard and keep it in the front,I want it too because of having to clean up the dog poop which is my job,I would normally just get a shovel and wheelbarrel and shift and spread it out in front but I just had shoulder surgery a month ago and can't physically do it not this year anyways,it's too labour intensive.I was wondering how much it is worth as I may offer a trade to someone to come and take it and lay down or at least give me sod for it that I can get someone to put down for me,I was thinking whoever takes it can have it as long as they get it out of here on their own and within a few days cause I have dogs that like to use the yard,I have an 8 foot wide gate for access,the rock is 4 inch rock so I have been told if I could figure out how to post pics I would,thinking I may put an ad on kijiji or maybe contact a few landscape companies around edmonton but figured I would post it here first.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 PM

That's a heck of a deal!

What is the size of the yard (ft2)? How deep is the rock?

Just trying to figure out how much stone is there.

4" rock is worth about $60-80 a ton wholesale, clean and loaded.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
That's a heck of a deal!

What is the size of the yard (ft2)? How deep is the rock?

Just trying to figure out how much stone is there.

4" rock is worth about $60-80 a ton wholesale, clean and loaded.
I have to go measure the backyard but ballpark it's probably 800 sf,half my yard is red brick and the other half is rock,it's about 2-3 rocks deep,if my shoulder was better I would just bring it in front and spread it but it's not, so I am thinking about other ways to get rid of it.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:48 PM

Just guessing, about 8 yards were dumped.

No harm in offering the stone for free if picked. I can't think of anyone who would want to do it for the rock. Personally, If I was going to pick rocks for free, I would go to the farmer with the biggest Mule Deer.

If you are in a rush to get it done, I would look into hiring a bobcat to do the job. Sounds like there is access. Have the cat dump the rock out front. Be creative, make your rendition of the east coast.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Just guessing, about 8 yards were dumped.

No harm in offering the stone for free if picked. I can't think of anyone who would want to do it for the rock. Personally, If I was going to pick rocks for free, I would go to the farmer with the biggest Mule Deer.

If you are in a rush to get it done, I would look into hiring a bobcat to do the job. Sounds like there is access. Have the cat dump the rock out front. Be creative, make your rendition of the east coast.
is there some formula I could use to figure out how much exactly is there if I know the s***** footage?

I have been off work for a while because of my surgery but if I were still at work I would have lots of access to bobcats if I wanted them(I drive a lowboy and haul heavy equipment) it wouldn't be hard to get one for a long weekend or something,and like I said earlier I would do it by hand with a flat top shovel and wheelbarrel if my shoulder was better but that's alot of labour,I just thought I would toss it out there to see if anybody knew anything,maybe I will wait til next year and do it by hand it's not costing me anything except complaints from my wife
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 PM

Nope. No formulas for volume or mass from square footage.

You can do it from cubic feet.

Estimate the average depth.

Lenght x width x depth in feet = cubic ft.

A yard is 27 cubes.

From your info. I approximated 400 ft sq x 6" = 200 cubes = about 8 yards.

Weight will vary with shape, density, and moisture.

Your stone is likey about 80-100 lbs a cube. Solid stone would be 100-120 a cube.

You only have about 6000 rocks there.. Start pickin!!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 PM
Gone Hunting

I doubt you'll find anyone who would do it for the rock, but you never know. Just try shovelling one wheelbarrow of it and you'll see what I mean.
Hire a bobcat and one grunt and get it moved to where you want it.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 05-06-2011, 09:32 AM
Banned

Yeah,that 4 inch stuff don`t shovel worth a damn,lots of work.Bobcat all the way.