Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-05-2011, 04:00 AM

Default Helper Springs

What are your thoughts on putting helper springs on a half ton? I don't tow or haul alot but every once in a while I get a load of small square bales for the wifes horses and wouldn't mind avoiding the sag factor. Also would they help reduce the sag when I do tow a trailer? Do they hurt the ride quality when your empty? I really don't know a whole lot about them so I'm looking for any advice.

I'm currently lookin at Hellwig EZ-990.
http://www.hellwigproducts.com/produ...ontrol/ez-990/
Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 AM

they look like they work similar to over load springs
Old 05-05-2011, 06:48 AM

Multi leaf over loads in the back. New mains with one extra leaf. Progressive coils put in the front. Ride was still like a 1/2 ton not loaded.
Load on the truck in this picture: 130 gal. diesel, digging bucket for 200 Hitachi as well as a mounding spade. Took all of it up a mountian logging road without any troubles. Had Standen axle in Calgary install all the springs. Great job and great price !

Old 05-05-2011, 06:51 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

I use Firestone Airbags on my tundra and it makes a world of difference. I can also deflate them to get my soft ride back when I want it.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:09 AM

The ride rites are awesome, had them on my old truck. I also a compressor and 3 gal tank on board so i could change pressures on the fly,they don't change the ride when your empty andthey will level the truck when it's loaded.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
I use Firestone Airbags on my tundra and it makes a world of difference. I can also deflate them to get my soft ride back when I want it.

x2 air bags are the way to go. They dont allow you to haul more load they just keep your headlights from signalling planes.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:46 AM

I have a set of them on my ole 96.Not sure if they are the same brand or not but the same principle.They are great for heavy loads and if you only need them occasionaly you can remove the end clamps and it will have no adverse effects on your OEM springs.On the other hand,the tighter you cinch them clamps down the more stiffer they become,so you can pack more in the back before your truck sags to much.Just be careful if they are to tight you can haul way more than you legally should.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural.born.fawn.killer View Post
x2 air bags are the way to go. They dont allow you to haul more load they just keep your headlights from signalling planes.
X3 air bags are on all my trucks...
Old 05-05-2011, 10:00 AM

x4 love my air bags on my 08 ford half ton
Old 05-05-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
tundras dont have soft rides, ive been in tractors that are smoother rideing.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:14 AM

I've got Timbrens on my Frontier. They work great.

http://www.timbren.com/
Old 05-05-2011, 11:23 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Sorry I should have said softer then with the airbags fully inflated. I find mine to be too soft but thank you for your valid contribution to this thread. good off-topic derail. op must appreciate your input.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:25 PM

So your suggesting airbags instead of a helper spring?
Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM

Another vote for airbags, second truck to run them on the rear, pump them up when ya need them and go, add's a bit of a bounce if you have air in them, but run them down to 4 or 5 lbs and the ride is the same. Very easy to install, last set were a no drill application, they just bolt in and plumb the air lines. If ya can afford a compressor, the best way to go, you can change on the fly, and have air when ya need it for tires or what ever.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 PM

Same here. Had the Firestone bags in my 04 Ram 2500. In cab controller so you can adjust when needed, and 5 lbs in them when you're empty. Order them from U.S. if you can. Got mine for half of what they wanted here. Install was pretty easy once you figure where you want to mount the compressor and controller.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Airbags in both my trucks, a sweet tool to have !!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:39 PM

All of my trucks have had Firestone Ride Rites. Never a blown bag, and always perfect damping for the job at hand.

Before the box liner, nerf bars or any other mods go on, Ride Rite's are installed.

On my next truck I will try the Pac Brake Setup.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:55 PM

heres what your up against. the air bag system for leaf springs is very expensice vs the coil spring set up. with coils... slip the bags in side the spring and fill them up. with a leaf systm you need bag holders and that will run you about 500 .

try the timbren system. its the easiest install and it wont double the value of your truck.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 PM
waylow

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
They are about as smooth as a two legged mule going down a mountain.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:01 PM

My 1 ton gm with single rear wheels now has Firestone air bags: i keep them at 15 psi when running empty; or 40 psi when pulling a gooseneck cattle trailer.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
heres what your up against. the air bag system for leaf springs is very expensice vs the coil spring set up. with coils... slip the bags in side the spring and fill them up. with a leaf systm you need bag holders and that will run you about 500 .

try the timbren system. its the easiest install and it wont double the value of your truck.
REally... you might want to actually look into what it costs to buy airbags. My neighbor just got his from princess auto for ~$100 (including all brackets for leafs). Mind you it's not firestone, but my brother paid $180 for his firestone airbags for his titan.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffy10 View Post

The leaf spring type just bolt on between the axle and frame, takes about an hour if you take your time, no extra holders needed. Without on board air you just run the air lines to the back bumper with shraeder valves on them.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
Multi leaf over loads in the back. New mains with one extra leaf. Progressive coils put in the front. Ride was still like a 1/2 ton not loaded.
Load on the truck in this picture: 130 gal. diesel, digging bucket for 200 Hitachi as well as a mounding spade. Took all of it up a mountian logging road without any troubles. Had Standen axle in Calgary install all the springs. Great job and great price !

Now thats a load!!! Must have been a little underbraked for those mountain roads.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:18 PM

No doubt that helpers work. But is the rest of the truck designed to take the extra weight too? Tramsmission, driveshaft, u-joints, wheel bearings etc. all carry that extra load as well, in one form or another. Maybe something to think about.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter65 View Post
No doubt that helpers work. But is the rest of the truck designed to take the extra weight too? Tramsmission, driveshaft, u-joints, wheel bearings etc. all carry that extra load as well, in one form or another. Maybe something to think about.
The op is only hauling the odd load of hay.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:27 PM

Put in air bags. You won't regret it. Have them in all my truck now and before.