Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Ladygun

Default Need large (German shepherd sized) have a hart traps.

Does anyone have some large humane traps that we could use. Been door to door knocking around here and a few people have seen and tried to catch my dog but he is so afraid of people you can get close. He has a muzzle on so I'm certain he hasn't eaten and must be very hungry by now so maybe some bait in a trap will get him. Please if anyone has these traps call me. Or if you have any idea where I can rent them.
403 598 6074.
We are getting a bit desperate now.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:49 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Maybe have a chat with myles, the officer who used to be at Crimson Lake Prov Park and see if you can use the bear trap- not sure if the dog will set it off but that's my best bet. You could ask around for some Calf ropers but that would only worsen(word) his fear of humans.
Good luck.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

tranq gun?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Ladygun

That would work bit how to get ahold of a tranq gun??
Old 05-02-2011, 12:05 PM
Ladygun

How do I find Miles??

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
Maybe have a chat with myles, the officer who used to be at Crimson Lake Prov Park and see if you can use the bear trap- not sure if the dog will set it off but that's my best bet. You could ask around for some Calf ropers but that would only worsen(word) his fear of humans.
Good luck.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:07 PM

Check with the county they usually have traps
Old 05-02-2011, 12:13 PM

County or animal shelter should have them or be able to tell you where to get them.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:15 PM
Ladygun

Apparently red deer county is useless cause they don't have anything bigger then a cT trap. And fish and game told me they can't help cUse its domestic animal
Old 05-02-2011, 05:24 PM

the dog should remember you if he is hungry enough he will come to you if you have food, take a piece of meat and a dog food bag with a bit of food and shake it and call if he's hungry he should come to you. good luck.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM

Default Has he a muzzle on?

If so I think that this may solve itself. He will be thirsty very thirsty by now.

He shouldn't be afraid of you so when he gets offered a drink, he will come to you.

Why is he loose with a muzzle if you don't mind telling me.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
If so I think that this may solve itself. He will be thirsty very thirsty by now.

He shouldn't be afraid of you so when he gets offered a drink, he will come to you.

Why is he loose with a muzzle if you don't mind telling me.
Densa,

She was out walking him on a leash and he got spooked by others out walking and he Broke the clasp on his leash.

Cass is still out there searching.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 PM
Ladygun

Midor is still running, the only good news I have to report is that He is staying in the river valley by the farm house there. We have tracked down some humane wolf traps. Tomorrow we will set these up in the spots he's been seen most and see if we can catch him. Thank you so much to everyone who came out and helped today you have no idea what it means to us. We will keep this board updated and hope for the best.
Cass
Old 05-02-2011, 09:43 PM

Thinking about you and Midor. Hope he has a safe night.

You'll be petting him again tomorrow.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:55 PM
Ladygun

I so hope so. This was supposed to be his second chance and now he's just as lost as before. I feel so horrible and am beginning to think that if I can't catch him the most humane thing I can do is shoot him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Thinking about you and Midor. Hope he has a safe night.

You'll be petting him again tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Banned

Don't shoot him. He'll get hungry enough and come to you. Just be patient, don't push him and try your best to keep an eye on his whereabouts. Good on you for taking him on.

Good luck and I'm sure things will work out with a good ending.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:00 AM
Ladygun

I promise I am not giving up yet. I just don't want him to suffer. Starvation coyotes or being hit by a car on the highway. I cannot sleep again tonight.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:43 AM
Banned

Default dog at large

I know of a fellow that has traps large enough for this, IF he still has them. If you are interested? I need a little more info and then I could contact him and let him make a decision on whether he is ok with it. He is a freind of mine and not far from you at that. But he is very private.
He could be caught in a non lethal snare also. That does not hurt them that way. No different than being tied to a post etc.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 AM

I am utterly disgusted to hear that the Media don't care to help.
SPCA and other Animal protection people dont care and wont help

Cass has been put in touch with a member here who has Driven from Innisfail to peaceriver alberta to get her some live traps.

Please guys we need a solution and get his lost and muzzled dogs.

JENNIFER!
Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Have the local radio stations been contacted? You could also try the Goverment of Alberta ag info center at 310-FARM, to ask for suggestions and give out the information so local farmers can help with the search. Its just a suggestion, maybe they can help. I am praying for the safe return of your dog.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dollfin View Post
Have the local radio stations been contacted? You could also try the Goverment of Alberta ag info center at 310-FARM, to ask for suggestions and give out the information so local farmers can help with the search. Its just a suggestion, maybe they can help. I am praying for the safe return of your dog.
Dollfin,

The radio stations have been sending out missing dog reports since the beginning.
She has contacted everyone involved in animal rescue that could possibly help.
They have told her because it is rural they wont help her. Now is Midor goes into a densely populated area they would help and dart the dog.
The local ranchers have been trying to help and were calling with regular updates on this animal.

He is a rescue dog to begin with who was surrendered because he is scared of humans. So the chasing and attempted captures have been hard on him. Cass is exhausted and frustrated. Right now what she needs is the animal professionals to step in and help her.

Formykids has gone across the province to get her live traps and he will have them to her in the next 6 or 7 hours. A special thanks goes out to Formykids for all he is doing to help Cass out.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:25 AM

I hope it works out for you.

We have two GSD's. One of them did roam now and again, until we found her chewed up in the snow along a fence line. Since then, she stays home. The other one has never been interested in going anywhere we aren't.

On the other hand, we have a hound that will NOT stay home despite spankings, shock collars and switches and I've given up going around to find him. Last time, he was gone 2 days and I figured the coyotes got him. He came back, but I've accepted that will probably be how he dies.

Sometimes you get a critter that you just can't work with.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:29 AM

My heart and prayers to the hound and his family, I hope that there is a happy ending to this story.
Cheers
Old 05-03-2011, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
I hope it works out for you.

We have two GSD's. One of them did roam now and again, until we found her chewed up in the snow along a fence line. Since then, she stays home. The other one has never been interested in going anywhere we aren't.

On the other hand, we have a hound that will NOT stay home despite spankings, shock collars and switches and I've given up going around to find him. Last time, he was gone 2 days and I figured the coyotes got him. He came back, but I've accepted that will probably be how he dies.

Sometimes you get a critter that you just can't work with.
Please note this dog was muzzled at the time he broke the leash
Old 05-03-2011, 11:31 AM

I wish I wasn't at work, and could help, this is tearing me up! I love pets too much! Thanks Fishing Mom for the info. Who we need is someone like Mantracker and a team to help rescue him
Old 05-03-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Please note this dog was muzzled at the time he broke the leash
Yeah. I got that part. That means the animal has other problems, too.

No need to shout, ma'am. I'm not deaf.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 PM
Ladygun

So we are on a mission again. Anthony came home from work early and we are headed out with the quad, raw meat bones, ropes, dogs, a female in heat scented blanket and our hearts. Wish us luck. With no help from the so called animal welfare groups we are relying on ourselves and the folks who have tried to help. We appreciate everyone who has pitched in and I will of course keep this board up dated. Pray for a positive outcome.
Cass
Old 05-03-2011, 12:37 PM

My thoughts are with you all. I don't know what else you could be doing that you aren't already
Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM

good luck! sure hope you get him
Old 05-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Hi Lady gun,

Good luck. I worked in a vets office when i was in high school way back when. I don't know if they still use them but the vet used blowgun darts as a way of tranquilizers. Is there a vet in your areathat is willing to do this or even has this? Just a suggestion. Let me know. I'll be heading down to Calgary tomorrow and I might be able to swing some connections. If things don't work out.

SycoSean
Old 05-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Ladygun

Default This is a nightmare.

We have not received a call of whereabouts on Midor since about 940 this morning. While I have been searching all day again I have not seen him. I don't know what to do anymore.