Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 05:13 PM

Default MSR Tents

Anyone have reviews on the MSR backpacking tents? specifically the Hubba hubba
Old 08-12-2020, 05:24 PM

I have an older model Mutha Hubba - it's been redesigned since. In any case, it's a great tent. Sets up easily, perfectly waterproof (used on the West coast mostly) and sturdy in the wind. I suspect the new models are just as good.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:01 PM

I have a Hubba Hubba NX. I spent a lot of time looking into 2 person tents. They're super light and having the second door is mandatory if you or your other half needs to get up through the night. you also get your own vestibule sides to store your packs. A great tent for the price IMO.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:27 PM

I've had the MSR hubba hubba for about 8 years now and use it every summer. I've not had a single issue with it. Its constructed well, sets up quick and fits back in the bag.It'd be a tight fit for two people but is the perfect size for one. I can fit my larger sleeping bag, air mattress and a duffel bag nicely.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-12-2020, 07:47 PM

I have both the older and new version.
The old one with the orange flap lasted me around 15 years before I seam tape started to let go. I could easily repair it and still get another 5 years out of it for sure. I did manage to wear a hole in the floor but it was easily repaired. The only down side is there is no vent in the orange fly. You can leave the zipper open but then you get some water in the vestibule when it rains at night. I did find there was always a condensation build up on the inside of the fly but it usually didnt get in the tent unless it was windy.

The new version, the Hubba Hubba NX has smaller diameter poles so the parts are not interchangeable. I think it does come with vent now. I have not used it yet so I can not comment on it but if its as durable as the original its a very good tent.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."