Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
not sure how you would not know you had a respiratory proplem . my dad has COPD so we make sure he has his paper work with him when he is out on a road trip . He had a stroke as well so sometimes he acks like he has been drink but he is just having a rough day.
Lots of people out there that refuse to see a doctor. Lots of people that get asthmatic due to allergies as well and wouldn’t realize it.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Lots of people out there that refuse to see a doctor. Lots of people that get asthmatic due to allergies as well and wouldn’t realize it.
you win you are smarter and have all the answers
Old 08-12-2020, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
What did you think a check stop was?
I've been in check stops. They lean in to probably smell for liquor. They probably look at your eyes or something to see if your on drugs. With me it was always how are you doing? And then have a good night and that was always it but its not like I look like trouble and I dont mean my skin color either.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
A lot of older people are scared to go to a doctor because they think the doctor will tell them bad news. This sounds crazy but some people are like that.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
A lot of older people are scared to go to a doctor because they think the doctor will tell them bad news. This sounds crazy but some people are like that.
Exactly. And would hate to see them guilty and lose license because of it. Regardless there is other options so not too many excuses of not complying with a check stop no matter what vehicle you are driving.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I've been in check stops. They lean in to probably smell for liquor. They probably look at your eyes or something to see if your on drugs. With me it was always how are you doing? And then have a good night and that was always it but its not like I look like trouble and I dont mean my skin color either.
Yes but that was before Covid etc.

Police have been able to make everyone blow regardless of suspicion of drinking for a while.

Right or wrong, that’s the law.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:12 PM

In case you’ve forgotten, this has been the law for a while now.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4952468
Old 08-12-2020, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post

Another thing to thank the federal liberal government for. You would think individual provinces would control this.
You know it used to be if you had farm plates and if you were on a secondary road then you where exempt from the national safety code. Well i read that in The Western Producer years ago. I've searched this on the internet but I can't find it anywhere. I'm sure they got it all changed now.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Another thing to thank the federal liberal government for. You would think individual provinces would control this.
You know it used to be if you had farm plates and if you were on a secondary road then you where exempt from the national safety code. Well i read that in The Western Producer years ago. I've searched this on the internet but I can't find it anywhere. I'm sure they got it all changed now.
Brings back memories of having to take the ditch when a 10 year old is alone on a combine, driving that secondary road.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool View Post

There was some discussion about the new breathalyzer law in this thread:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=365728

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-12-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
More curious than anything. Could you submit to a blood test if not able to blow?
my understanding is yes if it was available at the local hospital nearby.
I.e. less than an hour or so it used to be

not sure what it is today, and a blood sample used to be really accurate at the time of it being taken
Old 08-12-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying in the States the police gave George Floyd tons of chances to comply before they took him down. Floyd was a known bad guy and a big scary dude. It seems like this kid might have been jumped the second he hesitated to comply because he thought he could explain his way out of it.
If this kid was lurking around at night in a car or something it would be different.
The video only shows the altercation and not what occurred leading up to it other than the family's version of events. There's always 3 sides to a story. From the video I've seen, it sure looks like the he's resisting, it wouldn't take 5 men to drag him out otherwise.

If he's been raised with Freemen beliefs, it's not unreasonable to believe that he feels he's above government and laws and he's not as naive as the sob story from the family would want us to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Over $20,000 already on the go fund me page???? Holy crap how stupid are the people donating to them??
No kidding, it's amazing how easily some are able profit off of other people's gullibility.
Old 08-12-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
The video only shows the altercation and not what occurred leading up to it other than the family's version of events. There's always 3 sides to a story. From the video I've seen, it sure looks like the he's resisting, it wouldn't take 5 men to drag him out otherwise.

If he's been raised with Freemen beliefs, it's not unreasonable to believe that he feels he's above government and laws and he's not as naive as the sob story from the family would want us to believe.

No kidding, it's amazing how easily some are able profit off of other people's gullibility.
Probably very naive
18 years old
No drivers license
No cell phone
Never had alcohol
Never been to a party
Raised by an extremely dominant patriarch (most likely)
I would put some of the blame on his parents and the rest on the sheriffs
Kid probably never had a chance in life
Old 08-13-2020, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCLightning View Post
What did you think a check stop was?
A fishing expedition.
Old 08-13-2020, 04:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post

Oh boy, you said a mouthful there! Truer words have never been spoken on so many levels.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1 View Post
Probably very naive
18 years old
No drivers license
No cell phone
Never had alcohol
Never been to a party
So everyone else should be blamed for his actions and he is not responsible?
Old 08-13-2020, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Probably very naive
18 years old
No drivers license
No cell phone
Never had alcohol
Never been to a party
That's unfortunate but laws still apply. You can't raise your kids and not teach them about society and the laws of the environment and then claim they didn't know. "Oh but he is such a good boy"

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 08-13-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Probably very naive
18 years old
No drivers license
No cell phone
Never had alcohol
Never been to a party
The kid was home schooled as well, just like the rest of his 11 siblings.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
What a jerk. Hang him high. Meanwhile his peers are allowed to go on an a LE endorsed bender every spring. The law is the law. But it isn’t.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-13-2020, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
What does that have to do with it. I have home schooled relatives, some of the sweetest well adjusted kids you will ever meet.

Home schooling is very parent dependent, if parents are invested in turning out well adjusted kids they will. If parents are bent on turning out sheltered kids that know nothing they will. There is no saying on how these kids were raised. But, the school system turns out far more deviant children the home schooling. By deviant, it is not meant in a negative light, just kids outside the norm.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-13-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
What does that have to do with it. I have home schooled relatives, some of the sweetest well adjusted kids you will ever meet.

Home schooling is very parent dependent, if parents are invested in turning out well adjusted kids they will. If parents are bent on turning out sheltered kids that know nothing they will. There is no saying on how these kids were raised. But, the school system turns out far more deviant children the home schooling. By deviant, it is not meant in a negative light, just kids outside the norm.
I agree piker, what the heck does homeschooling have to do with anything?

Lets look at this from the LEO side of things in the moment.

Nice day, doing a checkstop to get drunk drivers off the road. Got a nice little line up things are going smoothly, have some nice chats with people, some less than nice but all in all a good day. All of a sudden you look up and a tractor has veered off the road in to the ditch and trying to bypass your checkstop. This is not normal behaviour. You and your co-workers get the tractor to stop, but the occupant is ignoring your commands or refusing. All you know at this point is someone tried to bypass the checkstop, is not responding to commands, refuses to blow, and won't come out of the tractor.

Seems like something is off, so you remove said person from the tractor, they fight it, the use of force is escalated based on the restitence. Next the brother comes up and starts arguing the point and gets in the tractor to drive away, he to is uncooperative and needs to be cuffed.

Seems like the only one's at fault are the family with the tractor. Now more information comes out that this family is secular, and possibly along the likes of the Freeman on the Land, and it makes all the sense in the world why things unrolled the way they did.

Sorry but from my seat, I don't see anything wrong with what they did.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
Brings back memories of having to take the ditch when a 10 year old is alone on a combine, driving that secondary road.
Your insurance agent will tell you that Alberta farm plated vehicles are way less of a risk to them than normal vehicles .
Old 08-13-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm sure farming and work was more in their curriculum than school work.

Then the previous post, That they are "free men of the Land", abortion signs, them being Christians. That has nothing to with it either.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 AM

If the 18 year old did drive into the ditch to go around the check stop, and then drove back onto the highway to continue on his way, he deserves what he got. If the field was his final destination, then that changes things in my opinion. As to any damage caused to the tractor by improper towing, that would be the responsibility of the towing company, as they are paid to know how to tow properly, and if they don't know, they have no business towing the vehicle.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-13-2020 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:33 AM

right on bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
I agree piker, what the heck does homeschooling have to do with anything?

Lets look at this from the LEO side of things in the moment.

Nice day, doing a checkstop to get drunk drivers off the road. Got a nice little line up things are going smoothly, have some nice chats with people, some less than nice but all in all a good day. All of a sudden you look up and a tractor has veered off the road in to the ditch and trying to bypass your checkstop. This is not normal behaviour. You and your co-workers get the tractor to stop, but the occupant is ignoring your commands or refusing. All you know at this point is someone tried to bypass the checkstop, is not responding to commands, refuses to blow, and won't come out of the tractor.

Seems like something is off, so you remove said person from the tractor, they fight it, the use of force is escalated based on the restitence. Next the brother comes up and starts arguing the point and gets in the tractor to drive away, he to is uncooperative and needs to be cuffed.

Seems like the only one's at fault are the family with the tractor. Now more information comes out that this family is secular, and possibly along the likes of the Freeman on the Land, and it makes all the sense in the world why things unrolled the way they did.

Sorry but from my seat, I don't see anything wrong with what they did.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:44 AM

I don't drink so based on some of the posts in here that should mean I'm special and not subject to sitting in a lineup at a checkstop. Those are only intended to nab drunk drivers so I'm exempt.

The rules are the rules. Cops want to stop you and check you for ANY reason then you stop and get checked or face the consequences. Take it up in court later if you think you've been treated incorrectly but for gawds sakes, you have to be some kind of stupid if you ignore police orders.

I could give a rats rear end about these kids, their families, how they were raised, what they do to earn a living, or anything else. Cops say pull over you pull over or face the consequences. If those end up being you getting face slammed repeatedly into a tractor fender or getting your lights punched out...TOO BAD FOR YOU. Consider it a scaled up spanking from mommy when you didn't listen to her.

Do you get to drive through red lights in the city? Nope and you don't get to drive through red lights in the country either.

I have yet to see, hear, or know of incidences where individuals got their lights turned out by a cop because they were 100% complicit.

To these kids? Csll yourself a waaambulance and maybe next time you'll listen up. I hope any coin raised on your ridiculous Go Fund Me page goes to a police charity or better yet, towards a copy of How Not to be a Cretin if that book exists.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post

Do you get to drive through red lights in the city? Nope and you don't get to drive through red lights in the country either.
Can you turn right at the red light if you don’t have to go through it?
Old 08-13-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
What about people who are not aware they have a respiratory problem? Should they be guilty because they cannot blow?

Nevermind looks like they could give a blood test. Still don't like the guilty until proven innocent.

Should people so physically frail that they can’t exhale properly be allowed to drive though? As for the GoFundMe, that’s ridiculous, and regarding the poor co-operation, thumbs down to the young man for being so stubborn. A little co-operation and civility goes a long way.

If something has wheels and a motor or engine of any type and is on a public roadway they’re still vehicles, even if they’re unconventional or are borderline toys (electric scooter, bicycle with one of those goofy retrofit gas engines mounted, main battle tank).

The comment about the press being horny for police brutality stories gave me the mental image of a golden lab leg-humping, the lab being the media, and the leg being the bias they love to, well love
Old 08-13-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Can you turn right at the red light if you don’t have to go through it?
Yes, after stopping and ensuring no other vehicles have right-of-way. Which raises the question, how many check-stops have you been to where the police set up right at an intersection where people have options to drive anywhere? They’re set up like buffalo jump funnels on purpose, one simply can’t have an effective trap if the trap has massive holes in it. Driving around one in a ditch is colossally stupid.
Old 08-13-2020, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Yes, after stopping and ensuring no other vehicles have right-of-way. Which raises the question, how many check-stops have you been to where the police set up right at an intersection where people have options to drive anywhere? They’re set up like buffalo jump funnels on purpose, one simply can’t have an effective trap if the trap has massive holes in it. Driving around one in a ditch is colossally stupid.
Driving around one is stupid yes. If your field is on the other side of the ditch then not so much.