Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-30-2011, 07:48 PM

Default You ever trap yourself

Took a marten out of a trap the other day and reset my trap,I have my boxes on a tree so the martens go in from the bottom,I then realized I needed more bait,so off to the truck I went came back wired in my bait and then proceeded to grab the set trap that was hanging from a branch,the only problem was that I forgot it was set and snapped it firmly on my hand,let me tell you a belisle 120 is hard to get off your hand,this is the only time I have done something that stupid with a trap,any other trapping yourself stories out there?
Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 PM

i was trapping beavers trough the ice with my ol man one time i took a beaver out and set the trap.i guess one of the safety locks came off when i moved to get my gloves i set the trap off and it got me on my small finger and the one next to it holy hell do those 330's hurt with only one spring all my ol man did was laugh and told me i should watch what i was doing
Old 12-30-2011, 08:44 PM

When I was a kid I got my hand in a #4 through the ice in a beaver set. Was sure cold and sore by the time I got my hand back up through the hole and got the trap off. Didn't do that twice.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 PM

Why yes I did trap myself ! The story goes like this back in the winter of 96 of 97 after a big snow storm I went to check Beaver traps in two feet of snow . I had a hard time getting the truck through the field (my trusty old toyota). I got down to a big channel that connected the two sloughs that is wear my trap was , so I stradled the channel and pulled the trap up still set and leaned it against a small tree wen all hell broke loose. The ice I was standing on gave out and I was now nuts deep and scrambling to get out wen I some how reached for the shore and i put my arm in that brand new 330 . Well now wat I dont have my trap setters so I tryed to get it off i got the one spring down and safety hooked now the other side that my arm was in wasnt happining . Trapped for 30 minutes now at this point arm was swelling and changing colour time to get help so to the truck I go , wait a minute how am I going to drive a standard and steer with this trap on my arm long story short I rolled my window down and held my arm out the window . Now mobile I had to 4+4 like mad to get out without getting stuck i finnaly hit the road and off to my friends farm. I went to the house and he was not home he was at the auction mart of all days lol. His mother was home she tryed to help but no luck it made the pain worse finally I went to the shop and was lookin for something to cut this dam trap off wen I seen the cutting tourch well a few seconds later the trap was laying on the ground and I was free!!! Thats wen the hurt really started as the blood started circulating again I will never for get that day . The trap was on my arm just above my elebow and was on for around 1hr 20 min. Well thats my story enjoy.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 PM

ROADHAMMER...OUCH!!!

I have never caught myself but 50 years ago when I was a kid my uncle showed me a trap they had found out in the foothills of alberta. It was a No. 6 Newhouse with a old leather boot in it with the human legbone still firmly secured by the bear trap. The workboot style boot had moss growing on it and the trap with its catch had been there for a long time. The RCMP decided it must have been from the turn of the century.

That sight taught me to walk softly in the bush. I can't imagine what the fellow that stepped into that bear trap must of felt like.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
i set the trap off and it got me on my small finger and the one next to it holy hell do those 330's hurt with only one spring all my ol man did was laugh and told me i should watch what i was doing

Well, you learned that you don't put your finger where you wouldn't put your din&!
Dac
Old 12-31-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Well, you learned that you don't put your finger where you wouldn't put your din&!
Dac
you know how it is when your 16 you know everything so yeah i dident learn
Old 12-31-2011, 01:22 AM

I just started trapping so thankfully no i have not caught myself. I check/set traps by myself for the most part and always carry a rope loop in both pockets... never know which hand you will catch.

I have been told that its not "if" but "when" and i really hope its a 120 and not a 330.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:04 AM

I caught myself in a 330 also. Brand new magnum 330. I had the trap set and ready to rock and I thought I'd give it one last tweek. It went off and closed around my right thumb, along the length of my palm. It rained a lot the night before and the ground was very soft so I had to search for a flat rock to set the trap on. I set the trap on the rock using my hands to hold it upright, I positioned the safety dogs so they would fall into place when the springs compressed, then I used my knees to push them down. I was free again in a matter of about 10 minutes.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Administrator

Caught myself in a 120 once checking a mink set. Not sure how I did it, but somehow the trap went off and took care of my thumb. The worst part was pulling my thumb out of the trap with a good yank. Spent the rest of the day checking my line with a very swollen, sore thumb. I think you only have to be snapped once to bring your trap awareness to a new level.

Ross Hinter (if you post here Ross I'd love to hear the story in your words) caught both wrists in a 330, breaking one of them. He was in the middle of nowhere and with both wrists in the 330, had to try and drive out. If I remember correctly, I think he told me he had to stop a few times because he was worried he was going to pass out while driving. Might not have the story correct, but I think I'm close. Others here would have heard the story as well and can maybe add to it if Ross isn't on AO.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:25 PM

Default 330 Mag

While teaching my son a thing or two last spring about trapping beaver , got slapped by one of my 330's , broke one finger only but swelled the whole hand!!!
Its what you learn , after you already know every thing!!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Gone Hunting

Once is more then enough with a coni. LOL Yeah me too.

Setting a 220 cubby set for Fisher. Got careless and hit the trigger while placing a guide stick. Woke up with the trap clamped on my finger tips.

Funny thing was it wasn't clamped hard, but it sure did hit hard. I remember hearing the trap fire and I remember yanking back my hand, but next thing I remember was cool snow melting on my face. I was face down in the snow.

That was the toughest ride out I have ever had. Operating a skidoo, though deep snow and over beaver dams, with one hand is difficult to say the least.

Within a couple of days I lost four finger nails. And that was one of the original 220s. I suspect a #7 Sauvageau or one of the other modern traps would brake bones.

I used to accidentally snap a trap or two on mu hands when we used leg hold traps. The only ones I was even a little afraid of was the #4 jump traps.

We used mostly #1 and 1 1/2. they didn't even sting all that much.

For Beaver Fox and Coyote we used snares almost exclusively until the conis came along. Nothing interesting happened with those snares.

Now I use conis for Beaver in open water and snares under ice. I make my own snares, lock and all. And I am experimenting with conis on Fox and Coyote. I've had a few catches but I think they were accidental. So I'm still working on that.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:27 PM

When I was 12 I got both hands caught in a 330 the first time I set it. My younger brother thought it was pretty funny to watch and made me promise to not beat him for laughing if he would help me get out .. Under the circumstances what else could I do ? Wasn't about to chew both hands off .. lol . Been nipped a number of times since and can honestly say I'll take the 330 anyday over a 220 .