Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2020, 12:09 PM

Default 2016 tacoma trd sport 6 speed manual

Anybody got this truck ?..any issues with it ?
Old 08-09-2020, 12:31 PM

I don’t have it, but issues should be very minimal with the manual. Most of the issues were with the software in the automatics. Otherwise pretty sweet rigs.

Toyota has a program for rust inspection of the frames on that year I’m pretty sure, I got a letter for my 17.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
I don’t have it, but issues should be very minimal with the manual. Most of the issues were with the software in the automatics. Otherwise pretty sweet rigs.

Toyota has a program for rust inspection of the frames on that year I’m pretty sure, I got a letter for my 17.
Thanx bud looked at one yesterday trying to talk myself into it ..its only 51000k on it
Old 08-09-2020, 01:35 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post

Anybody got this truck ?..any issues with it ?

I'm not in the habit of doing other people's homework, but 'Edmunds' is a good place to start . . .
Here you go 👉 https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tacoma/2016/review/

For what it's worth, I'd rather stick with my '15 Tacoma.

Selkirk
Old 08-09-2020, 09:44 PM

My girlfriend has one. It’s a girls truck. She likes it. 6 inch lift, rolling on 35’s. It probably a capable truck, But will never see off road. She just likes the way it looks. It’s a nice truck, comfortable, no issues, a bit underpowered.
Jmho.
Tullfan
Old 08-09-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tullfan View Post
My girlfriend has one. It’s a girls truck. She likes it. 6 inch lift, rolling on 35’s. It probably a capable truck, But will never see off road. She just likes the way it looks. It’s a nice truck, comfortable, no issues, a bit underpowered.
Jmho.
Tullfan
35’s would suck the life out of it, without regearing for sure.

I like my girls truck lol
Old 08-10-2020, 07:39 AM
Banned

I own TRD Off-road 2018. 35K on it, mostly city driving. So far so good, but it is not the vehicle I'like to keep for long time.
Old 08-10-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
35’s would suck the life out of it, without regearing for sure.

I like my girls truck lol
with 35's you need something like a 4.56 to get it back to "factory" like performance. If you want to play in the bush a 4.88 or 5.13 might be better.

But if you slap 35's on a factory 4.10/4.11 you are getting a lazy truck (might be good on gas though).
Old 08-10-2020, 05:21 PM
AO Sponsor

Rock solid trucks no doubt and you will never have trouble unloading one if you ever want to sell it, but I find them sooooo underpowered and incredibly boring to drive as a daily. I have tried and tried to like them but every time I get in one and go I am happy I have never bought one.

Now buying one to build up and use as a trail rig is an entirely different story. They are an amazing platform to begin with!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-10-2020, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Rock solid trucks no doubt and you will never have trouble unloading one if you ever want to sell it, but I find them sooooo underpowered and incredibly boring to drive as a daily. I have tried and tried to like them but every time I get in one and go I am happy I have never bought one.

Now buying one to build up and use as a trail rig is an entirely different story. They are an amazing platform to begin with!
Personally, for primary transportation, I like boring. I like just going in for scheduled services , with no surprises, and no repair bills from breakdowns. And if you don't do stupid things like install oversized tires, they aren't that underpowered.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:44 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Personally, for primary transportation, I like boring. I like just going in for scheduled services , with no surprises, and no repair bills from breakdowns. And if you don't do stupid things like install oversized tires, they aren't that underpowered.
Oh they are obviously a truck worthy of the loyal cult like following they have, but I just can’t seem to love them. For the money they cost, they don’t have enough of what I expect out of a truck. Different strokes and all that...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 08-11-2020, 01:33 PM

They are bullet proof reliable and the resale is outstanding.

They aren't much better on gas, and tow a little less but they are better in the bush (unmodified) compared to most others.

Depends on what each person likes or needs really.

If I wasn't towing, there a good chance there might be one in my driveway.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post

A few guys I wheel with drive Taco's & one an FJ, they all complain about it being underpowered and that's before the bigger tires go on.

Definitely no problem flipping it, both Taco's and FJ both have a very loyal following.

The buddy with the FJ still needs a motor, he blew a window in the side of the block about 8 months ago. He uses Amsoil synthetic in it too, that's great oil. It's not like there are a ton of them out there in the first place to find parts from, try finding one in the junkyard, good luck!

When it's fixed and he's rolling again he is VERY easy to spot, it's the silver one rolling around the Londonderry area with a couple hundred dents in it and a cardboard rear quarter window that a tree jumped out and broke. It has a healthy lift and CRAZY front & rear steel tube & plate bumpers like mine has and rock sliders. It's a really nice and very capable off road'er., when it dosent have hole's in the block that is. Love those newer FJ's but it's hard to beat a nicely done up vintage. IMG_2691.JPG

Man are those ever sweet. Have a friend with a vintage one with a removable top and a diesel, it's a SUPER cool rig!
Old 08-12-2020, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post

For what it's worth, I'd rather stick with my '15 Tacoma.

Selkirk
This...
Old 08-12-2020, 09:19 AM
Banned

glorified popcan on wheels, riding on the back of an old reputation they no longer deserve...that's today's taco's and people still think they are all that and bag of chips

reliability is across the board now, back in the old days toyota had an advantage there, no longer, yet people still think it's there lol

they do one other thing well besides ride on the back of a reputation they no longer deserve and that's 'look good' and 95% of all vehicles sold are bought based on looks...so as long as you polish the turd, it will sell

that reputation they no longer deserve, helps resale still

having spent a month in a 2019 i could go on and on about all the stuff wrong with that truck from daily livability no even close to being up to speed with the times and the competition, also they really screwed up the power train with the new peaky v6, got crap mileage, crap power, wrong tool for the job, wrong motor for a truck, the last good taco had a 4.0 in it

if you really do your homework, read between the lines, you'll come to find the same thing i just said above, yes i try to shock with reality a little bit, but i'm not wrong, they are pretty popcans, that feel likely a 90's honda civic with a lift, but people sure do like pretty popcans
Old 08-12-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post

reliability is across the board now, back in the old days toyota had an advantage there, no longer, yet people still think it's there lol
Not the 2nd Gen Tacoma... 2004 - 2015

Drove my 2014 for 5 years, changed all fluids (I mean everything) once at 50k KMs with premium synthetic replacements, and changed the oil every 7500-10,000 kms with synthetic...

Only issue with the truck when I sold it @150k KMs... Throw-out bearing was starting to chirp. Clutch and brakes still had a year or more of life, based on how I drove it.

Never should have sold it... Guy from Washington State called within a day of me posting the ad on Kijiji, he drove here through the night to be here the next day to pay me.

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 08-12-2020 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2020, 05:16 PM
Banned

did the same on my ram 1500 pentastar 8 spd, 7500 km oil changes, got wrote off in november by a red light runner, drove the taco rental for a month, so you were saying? lol
Old 08-12-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
glorified popcan on wheels, riding on the back of an old reputation they no longer deserve...that's today's taco's and people still think they are all that and bag of chips

they do one other thing well besides ride on the back of a reputation they no longer deserve and that's 'look good' and 95% of all vehicles sold are bought based on looks...so as long as you polish the turd, it will sell

that reputation they no longer deserve, helps resale still

having spent a month in a 2019 i could go on and on about all the stuff wrong with that truck from daily livability no even close to being up to speed with the times and the competition, also they really screwed up the power train with the new peaky v6, got crap mileage, crap power, wrong tool for the job, wrong motor for a truck, the last good taco had a 4.0 in it

if you really do your homework, read between the lines, you'll come to find the same thing i just said above, yes i try to shock with reality a little bit, but i'm not wrong, they are pretty popcans, that feel likely a 90's honda civic with a lift, but people sure do like pretty popcans
I didn't drive a Tacoma for a month, I drove my 2019 for 40,000km so far. So far, zero warranty issues, which is something that I can't say about any of my Ford or GM vehicles. The only other pickup that has been trouble free, was my 2007 Tundra that I drove for 12 years, and only replaced brakes, battery and multiple sets of tires. The mileage actually improved as I put some miles on it, and it has been comfortable to drive. My only complaint, is that it won't pull sixth gear at 120km/hr into a strong headwind, it just stays in fifth, which results in less miles per gallon. But for all around combined driving, it actually does quite well mileage wise now. As far as acceleration, it does downshift more than my Tundra, but it accelerates just fine, and pulls my utility trailer with no issues.
I didn't buy my Tacoma for it's looks, I don't buy any vehicle for looks, I bought it because of the reliability and retained value, and so far the reliability hasn't disappointed me at all.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:29 AM
Banned

you bought correctly then, the taco gets the job done,

the price you pay is daily comfort/livability/drivability, toyota has not stayed par, and they went backwards with the powertrain, props they offer a manual transmission for the enthusiasts still, that's the one thing the competition needs to copy them on, otherwise toyota has lots of work to do to bring the taco buck up to par and meet the competition on the daily livability/comfort/drivability...they are way behind and riding on that old rep and decent looks for sales

my biggest beefs are the ingress/egress, cab too shallow, chin to neck tuck, body tuck/scooch and try not to bang your leg off the dash...then you're in and sitting flat on the floor (90's civic), the basic plastic interior/seats all 90's civic to me still also

powertrain, 100% car set up with that camry plucked v6, a dog for power all they way up to where truck guys have no desire to be rpm wise,...the pentastar v6 is the segments strongest v6, linear with power everywhere, toyota could take some lessons on tuning for 'truck' duty, and that current power deliver might have been acceptable if it got really good mileage but it didn't, my ram 1500 pentastar got better mileage, had way more power and was way more truck, no way a full size v6 that gets better mileage and more power everywhere should beat that midsize truck but the 2014 ram does (gen 4's, classics) and very reliable truck also, it's an easy choice over a taco for me if size doesn't matter

if you want midsize now then the top choices are jeep gladiator, colorado zr2, honda ridgeline, each with varying strengths/weaknesses, the ridgeline admittedly not going to fit most outdoorsmen's needs but is a great vehicle with a box, i'd rather put a 2" lift on it and some bigger tires than a current gen taco regardless the mods, daily family life would be a dream in comparison and still get most of the hunting/light duty work done just fine, the other two options also kill the taco in comfort/family/daily livability/drivability, the midsize segment has some great options now and for the price of those gen 4 ram classics you can still build online for $17k off msrp...a pentastar 8-spd is likely another to consider in this talk as it's likely the most light duty truck for the money you can get currently
Old 08-13-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
...drove the taco rental for a month, so you were saying? lol
I was saying you're driving a newer style 3rd Gen...

I'm suggesting that the OP buy a 1 year older truck than he's looking at.

Is the concept really that hard to grasp ?

Old 08-13-2020, 08:28 PM

I think they called it the trd for a reason.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:

Statistics from multiple orgs that track this stuff definitely run contrary to statements like this. It's not hard to find the actual numbers and rankings.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrongside View Post
Statistics from multiple orgs that track this stuff definitely run contrary to statements like this. It's not hard to find the actual numbers and rankings.
Yes, agreed.

They are still top of the food chain in terms of resale to residual value, lowest maintenance and warranty costs, etc...

I drive a domestic because I need to tow - but if I didn't the TACO from a reliability, ands resale value would be a serious contender (despite the fact they are ugly and small). lol.
Old 08-14-2020, 12:15 PM

I'm sorry, but it seems odd that a person who drives a Ram 1500 is smashing a Tacoma, one of the most reliable vehicles on the road for a loooong time. Something about this scenario just seems odd.

Compact trucks aren't for everyone, and the Tacoma is a challenge for taller drivers no doubt, but reliability as your basis for knocking them just doesn't seem a credible argument.

That's my 2 cents.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:13 PM
Banned

no longer in a ram 1500, it got wrote off in November by a red light runner, took the nose off, 2014 with 143,000kms, was just bragging about how damn good it felt and drove and was still like new in every way, looked forward to another 10 years easy, the only reason i didn't just re-order the same truck as the classics are still available and i would have paid the exact same price...the smart play would have been to do this...but a dream truck came out so i've gone down a far different path and not nearly as smart

currently in a gladiator on 37's with 4.88's and manual transmission, took 27 years to get me back into a jeep as I was always a truck guy, but close 2nd a jeep guy, and also a one vehicle guy, also a manual transmission guy, so had to admire the jeeps from afar until now, now i get all that in one ride and it's easier to park...having cake and eating too, taking the hit on that ram comfort and convenience but i'm finally passionate about something with 4-wheels again, for past near 30 years it took 2-wheel machines to give me these sorts of jollies, sold the motorbike as i'm getting my fix and then some

just food for thought, the highest resale vehicles in canada are jeep wranglers and subaru's, with the jeep wrangler being number 1, the last gen jeep wranglers 2008-2018's (JK's) having the highest retained value after 4 years, running same pentastar v6 that's everywhere in the fca line-up, and the new gen 2019's and upward (Jeep Gladiators based off this platform) are vastly improved over the JK's so expect this to continue to be the case

i'm sure the taco gets up on the list in say 'trucks' but the margins and gaps are not what they once were, all manufacturers now with warranty, manufacturing similarities, technologies, recalls, lemon laws etc....modern vehicles are so much closer to one another now than they were in the past

the taco has its virtues, but as a single vehicle daily family do all mid-size pickup...it's lowest on the totem pole, it will be reliable and sell well, but you have to live with it's shortcomings on the daily, those shortcomings are very annoying as they impact you every time you drive it, if primarily just dad's ride or single folks, second vehicle etc. then there's far more tolerance available to these shortcomings as typically it's only going to impact one person

the most heavily invested in r&d and testing go to the 1/2 ton trucks, bread and butter for the manufacturers, especially the big 3, overbuilt for most of our light duty truck needs so the lighter duty v6 models etc. are fantastic and reliable, when you're built and torture tested to tow 10,000 lbs etc. have brakes for this etc. it's nice as a daily as it takes forever to wear things out, over engineered etc. my 14 ram v6 was a champ for almost 150,000 kms, felt new, was looking forward to the next 150,000 kms as it still really did feel and drive like new, still hadn't done the brakes, they are massive for the light duty family dad duty i put it through

there are 3-4 better choices than todays taco's, likely for similar money

any of the big 3 base motor mid level trim half tons
jeep gladiator
gm twins (canyon colorado)
honda ridgeline

all of these roast the taco in daily livability and comfort, the jeep will likely dominate the resale value soon, toyota will have it's hands full in trying to own top resale spot while the jeep owns the taco in the livability, capability and every other standpoint

gm twins far more livable, affordable af (segment best), will not match resale but i'd gladly pay the difference for the comfort of 5 years daily livability, i'd gladly pay that for any of them over being annoyed by the taco every single day

ridgeline if i didn't need to do much more than get into a snowy field for deer retrieval and run some forestry roads for a bit of hunting here and there, would need a touch lift and tire for bit more snow clearance, it will only be beat by the taco in off-road worth, resale will be there for the honda and top of pack i'm sure, and livability won't even be in the same ballpark, the ridgeline would beat most of the half tons in this department as well, highly underrated option for many, and dismissed mostly because of looks...rule #1 95% of all vehicles are bought/sold on looks alone (well done toyota, no so well done honda, even though if you remove that, the honda is way better choice!)

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 08-14-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-14-2020, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I'm sorry, but it seems odd that a person who drives a Ram 1500 is smashing a Tacoma, one of the most reliable vehicles on the road for a loooong time. Something about this scenario just seems odd.

Compact trucks aren't for everyone, and the Tacoma is a challenge for taller drivers no doubt, but reliability as your basis for knocking them just doesn't seem a credible argument.

That's my 2 cents.
Exactly!
Old 08-14-2020, 04:22 PM
Banned

Neat that this thread was started, I've been kinda wanting a 6spd 4 door tacoma.

Who with Tacomas hauls with them and how's that going? How much lumber can you fit in the box? Or do you have to haul a trailer to Lowes every time?

Anyone ever put car seats in a double cab?
Old 08-14-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwayzie View Post
Neat that this thread was started, I've been kinda wanting a 6spd 4 door tacoma.

Who with Tacomas hauls with them and how's that going? How much lumber can you fit in the box? Or do you have to haul a trailer to Lowes every time?

Anyone ever put car seats in a double cab?
I hauled some 16 footers with one of those hitch plug in exteneders. It worked fine for a 75km drive. They have soft suspensions, or they’d ride like **** because they are so light. Payload rating is 1000lbs. If you’re gonna be hauling a box full all the time get a full-size.

Stinky, lay off the Grendel, it’s making you confused

Maybe just go to a fast twist 223 till you’re thinking clearer. The gladiator is some kinda fugly, and will never knock the Taco off in sales.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:13 PM
Banned

Of course it won’t, the Camry of trucks haha. Sales volume equals basic tool at basic price.

.223 isn’t big game legal...that’s not versatile, if gonna have a single digit recoil energy bang stick...it may as well do it all

The gladiator is an odd duck as it’s a legacy type lifestyle vehicle, and you pay for that, it just happens to come as a mid-size pick up truck. So as you’ll see a pattern with me...versatility rules and efficiency rules. Do more with less, the Swiss Army knife effect.

The taco really doesn’t compare. Pretty popcan.
Old 08-14-2020, 11:17 PM

Default just sayin

My buddies 2019 Colorado ZR2 was in the shop more times in the first 6 months then my 2006 Tacoma has been in it's lifetime (this is not a joke). I don't think the domestics have the quality of the Toyo even today. I love mine and will buy another but the thing just won't die and it's tough to leave something thats been so good to me. The joy of so many vehicles being made is something will please everyone, but I love the Taco for all reasons that are important to me. Staying out of the shop is reason #1