Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-07-2019, 12:31 PM

Default RPAL courses for beginners/first time user

Hi

Does anyone know a good place to take your RPAL, for someone who has never shot guns before, she is not interested in hunting. Ideally something where they can teach shooting, proper stance, handling, etc. Especially geared toward women. I am trying to get my wife into shooting, and I don't want her to get my "bad habits". She would feel more comfortable in a small group of women. I took her to the range a few times, the first time she was very reluctant, but the second time, she felt a little more comfortable, so I would like her to get her RPAL but she might feel intimidated, in a regular RPAL course as she is too much of a beginner. I realize this will not be a normal course. We are located in Calgary, but I don't it really matters where the course it, as long as it would suit her needs.

Thanks in advance for all the suggestions.

--
Dan
Old 12-07-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2008 View Post
Hi

Does anyone know a good place to take your RPAL, for someone who has never shot guns before, she is not interested in hunting. Ideally something where they can teach shooting, proper stance, handling, etc. Especially geared toward women. I am trying to get my wife into shooting, and I don't want her to get my "bad habits". She would feel more comfortable in a small group of women. I took her to the range a few times, the first time she was very reluctant, but the second time, she felt a little more comfortable, so I would like her to get her RPAL but she might feel intimidated, in a regular RPAL course as she is too much of a beginner. I realize this will not be a normal course. We are located in Calgary, but I don't it really matters where the course it, as long as it would suit her needs.

--
Dan

You really aren’t looking for her to take the RPAL course as what you are asking is quite a bit beyond that course.

By all means have her take the course, but I’d think a session or two with an instructor at a shooting range may be what she is after.

I know there’s a couple indoor ranges in Cow Town, just give them a call and set something up.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-07-2019, 03:44 PM

Someone told me a while ago there was such a course around the Caroline area. Like I said, I don't want her to feel too intimidated or frustrated, as this will turn her off completely. The end game is for her to get her RPAL, but I do realize that just the RPAL will not be enough....It would be nice if there was a course that is spread over a few weeks, including hands on, and at the end, you get your RPAL. I don't know if such a thing exist - this is why I asked the question, with the amount of people here....someone is bound to know, or direct me in the right direction.

Thanks for the reply.

--
Dan
Old 12-07-2019, 04:45 PM

Default Shooting training - Experience.

It sounds like what your wife could use is the Outdoor Women Program put on by AHEIA at the Alford Lake Facility near Caroline. She would get lots of shooting practise and complete her RPAL as well.
Google AHEIA and you can get info on the course. The downside to this course is the length of time required, 5 days. In 2019 it was August 7th-11th.

I know a couple of ladies who went in with no experience and loved it.

https://319.yssecure.com/programs?_g...327.1575762133

https://www.aheia.com/owp?_ga=2.2638...327.1575762133

Good Luck,
Phil

Last edited by Phil; 12-07-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-07-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2008 View Post
Hi

--
Dan
Check-out the Calgary Rifle & Pistol club.They have PAL courses & women only LEARN TO sHOOT CLASSES.Located n.e calgary SW of the PORT OF CALL...
Old 12-08-2019, 11:58 AM

If she is easily intimidated it would probably be better you teach her.
She could handle the firearms and ask questions, play with them, action, load and unload in a safe environment.
Even the range can be intimidating place to start handling firearms, start at home, then the range and when she is confident go to the coarse, by then she will only be reviewing what she already knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
It sounds like what your wife could use is the Outdoor Women Program put on by AHEIA at the Alford Lake Facility near Caroline. She would get lots of shooting practise and complete her RPAL as well.
Google AHEIA and you can get info on the course. The downside to this course is the length of time required, 5 days. In 2019 it was August 7th-11th.

Good Luck,
Phil

X2 mom and sister went. Had a blast, have since went on pheasant hunts and got geared up for deer hunting on there own. (wasn't possible this year) Next year they will be out.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:53 PM

Take a look at the BOW camp. It is just South of Athabasca and is very popular. Registration opens Jan 1 and it fills fast. It is limited to 20 women and lets everyone have some special attention.

https://www.afga.org/conservation-camps/
Old 12-11-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Good Luck,
Phil
Thanks Phil, I will have a look, I think this is what she wants, as long as there is no animal hurting involved (hunting).
--
Dan
Old 12-11-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
Check-out the Calgary Rifle & Pistol club.They have PAL courses & women only LEARN TO sHOOT CLASSES.Located n.e calgary SW of the PORT OF CALL...
Thanks I will check it out.
--
Dan
Old 12-11-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledin View Post
If she is easily intimidated it would probably be better you teach her.
She could handle the firearms and ask questions, play with them, action, load and unload in a safe environment.
Even the range can be intimidating place to start handling firearms, start at home, then the range and when she is confident go to the coarse, by then she will only be reviewing what she already knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes this is what I am trying now, she was "scared" of guns earlier, but after a few times at the range, she is starting to get more comfortable. I don't want her to get some of the bad habits I might have, as I have been around guns for over 40 years. Things have changed considerably.
Old 12-11-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
Take a look at the BOW camp. It is just South of Athabasca and is very popular. Registration opens Jan 1 and it fills fast. It is limited to 20 women and lets everyone have some special attention.

https://www.afga.org/conservation-camps/
The big problem is she doesn't like harming any animals, so anything involved shooting animals she will not like, but she like the target shooting that we are doing.
--
Dan

Tags
courses, rpal, women