Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 05:04 PM

Default Precision Shooting rifle options

Have gone the rabbit hole of precision shooting with an interest in PRS style shooting and longer distance shooting (500+ yards).

Disclaimer: I don’t know too much about this style of shooting. I am mainly a hunter. Just want to try something new, it looks fun and I want to improve shooting in general.

Looking to keep rifle "around" $2000 (used or new). Haven’t decide on scope budget it yet but will be about the same. This set up will NOT be used for hunting.

I’ve notice most guys have a chassis style stock or an adjustable stock like an McMillan A3 or A5 style. What is recommended or advantages or disadvantages of each for PRS shooting and general long distance shooting? Is a folding stock recommended if I go with a chassis?

Looking at either getting a

1. Tikka CRT and put it into a stock/chassis
2. Tikka TAC A1
3. Ruger Precision Rifle

Or is there another rifle option you would recommend or a specific chassis for the Tikka CRT are welcome.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:28 PM

I say get a Tikka ctr and Leave it factory and go shoot. You may not enjoy the sport so no need to dump a bunch of cash into it. Use the extra cash on bullets and a good shooting bags/bipod
Old 12-11-2019, 10:04 PM

Tough to beat the Savage model 12.. Several people I know started with these rifles..MOST are surprise by how well they shoot out of the box.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=TargetS

PS I am not a savage guy...actually I think there ugly but they do shoot.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:58 AM
Banned

There seem to be quite a few options for the Tikka’s, Savage’s, and the Rem 700’s, with some companies building of the Rem 783. You won’t go wrong with any of them as long as you get one that shoots.
You don’t need to be shooting dime sized 5 shot groups, but MOA or better will be needed. That really shouldn’t be hard to find with anything that you have listed for desired equipment. A good stock or a chassis system will be ideal, the biggest thing is being able to get comfortable in a variety of different positions with your set up. I’m sure you’ve looked in to it but shooting from fence wires, ropes, kids powered hot wheels, simulated roof tops, ladder rungs, chair braces, etc. You never know what the particular stages might throw at you.

If you want a little bit cheaper option to start with, look at the Canadian Rimfire Precision Series. They have a couple different classes and it’s all done with 22’s.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
There seem to be quite a few options for the Tikka’s, Savage’s, and the Rem 700’s, with some companies building of the Rem 783. You won’t go wrong with any of them as long as you get one that shoots.
You don’t need to be shooting dime sized 5 shot groups, but MOA or better will be needed. That really shouldn’t be hard to find with anything that you have listed for desired equipment. A good stock or a chassis system will be ideal, the biggest thing is being able to get comfortable in a variety of different positions with your set up. I’m sure you’ve looked in to it but shooting from fence wires, ropes, kids powered hot wheels, simulated roof tops, ladder rungs, chair braces, etc. You never know what the particular stages might throw at you.

If you want a little bit cheaper option to start with, look at the Canadian Rimfire Precision Series. They have a couple different classes and it’s all done with 22’s.
Great info on CRPS. Wasn't aware of this, going to check it out.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:41 AM
Shooting Xs

Although I agree the Model 12 Savage line are very good for bench or prone long distance disciplines,they're not really applicable for PRS,too heavy.
Buying a suitable rifle then a chassis for it gets pricey,I would suggest getting a factory package to start.All the extra's needed will add up.Most PRS shooters are using 6 mil. Cartridges,if you're not reloading you may want to keep in mind whats available in factory ammo,as stated previously MOA is only required as far as accuracy goes.Less would be better but not necessary to start.
First focal plane scopes are pretty much the standard.
I would highly recommend going to a SAPRL event or other organised PRS shoot in your area and talk to the guys ,check out equipment used ,etc.
Also as mentioned Precision Rimfire is becoming very popular and is much easier(cheaper) to get started,it's pretty much all the same mechanics out to 300 yards with a .22.
Quite a few of the Centerfire PRS guys also shoot the Rimfire series.
Check out Southern Albert Precision Rifle League Facebook for a quick look,Chad and the boys put on some excellent events.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:33 AM

I have had a few target rifles, some savages in different mdt chasis, and now a ruger precision. They were all accurate, but I wound up paying less in the end (rather then rifle, chassis...) for a "used" ruger and it's crazy accurate.

To answer you one question about folding stocks, no they are not necessary. None of my savage chasis' had one, but the ruger does. When your shooting they are not folded anyways, only difference is how the bolt needs to come out on the ruger, it needs the folding butt stock in order to take it out.

Bigger question and up to debate is the chassis itself, with a pistol style grip or "normal" stock. There is a lot of debate on muscles in your hand with the different grips and how it affects trigger pull and accuracy. I didnt totally buy into getting that crazy about it though.

Be warned the rabbit hole runs deep...

Last edited by freeride; 12-12-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Although I agree the Model 12 Savage line are very good for bench or prone long distance disciplines,they're not really applicable for PRS,too heavy.
Mys exactly, and I am a Savage fanboy BTW!
I have owned many of their competition rifles,( currently shoot three), but the only one I would look at for a PRS rifle was a model 12 silhouette, and it has a single stack mag IIRC, I think most PRS guns emply double stacks because of courses of fire?
The BR, Palma,LRP, and FTR guns are not suited at all, being way too heavy and single shot.
Cat
Old 12-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Shooting Xs

A decent bolt action that can use or adapt a 10 round mag(you'll need several) you can mount or remove a bi-pod quickly or a bag for barricade use with a good FFP scope with target turrets and tactical type reticle in Mrad is a good place to start.Don't over look some thing in a .243, lots of decent factory selection of ammo available and not have to worry about expensive brass left on the ground.
Then practise at distance,get your DOPE figured out,go to a shoot have fun!You can always upgrade if you like the sport.
Most shooters are more than willing to help out a newbie at the shoots.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:20 AM

Sorry I read too fast, didnt read it was for a PRS match, I was talking about just target shooting in my post.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:40 PM

CTR /TAC A1 seems to have a good reputation, mags are a whole lot pricy though. I see a huge number of people using the RPR, a pile with Savages, a few Howas, does also seems to be a fair amount of custom stuff though.
I'm not up to doing PRS, and the TAC A1 isn't a light gun, 11lbs sans scope, but, I bought one for general plinking and some fooling around at longer ranges. I doubt that I'll get into competitions. There seem to be quite a few people looking at customizing Rem 700 5R, Cadex chassis, etc. I'm just starting to learn about the guns they build for this stuff nowadays, as usual, opinions are all over the map and so are budgets. There certainly is no lack of choice in components to build one. Some interesting stuff in 6.5 guys on YT and on Sniper's hide, 6.5 forum, to see and read.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:58 PM
Shooting Xs

Budget...yeah ,isn't hard to drop $6-8 K on just the rifle/optics when you start talking custom PRS guns,then equip.,ammo ,travelling,fuel,eats,entry fee's,etc.
Don't have to get too silly spending at first.If you start looking at top 20-50 finishers with the big boys,you're not going to see much of their stuff that's inexpensive.You may want to keep that in mind.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:34 PM

Having shot PRS and Riflesmans Team Challenge for several years it will not so much be the equipment but the time that you can commit to practice, travel and matches that will dictate your ability to place up in the top echelons. Give a Vibbert, Preston, Pynch type shooter a Tikka and they will still more than likely be a top ten finisher.

Nothing wrong with the Tikka, have a look at the Bergara as well. They are both reasonably priced and will shoot well enough to not be an "equipment issue" reason for not doing well. If you can, at least go get behind one and see what is comfortable.

If you are not a reloader get a caliber you can afford to buy and shoot a lot of. Typical matches run 140-180 rounds over a weekend. 6mm and 6.5mm Creeds come to mind. (.223 and .308 still have their place)

Then just get out an enjoy it and compete against no one but yourself and look to improve on the basics before chasing equipment to much. Invest in a training course, it will save you a tonne of money over what it would take to learn by shooting ammo and learning on your own
Old 12-12-2019, 04:57 PM

I won’t have a ton of time to commit to the sport and so my expectations of how I place won’t be high. Just want to have some fun and learn some shooting skills and techniques.

I want to take a course. Spoke with the guy that runs Callsign66 ( shooting courses) yesterday. Great guy, very helpful.

I’ll check out Bergara too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayquiver View Post
I won’t have a ton of time to commit to the sport and so my expectations of how I place won’t be high. Just want to have some fun and learn some shooting skills and techniques.

I want to take a course. Spoke with the guy that runs Callsign66 ( shooting courses) yesterday. Great guy, very helpful.

An alternative would be to start shooting long range steel with us at the range up here .
We will be opening up finally on a regular basis in the new year , heated firing position and steel at 600,700,800,900, and 1,000 meters!
Not nearly as expensive to get into , I can help you out there as well.
Cat
Old 12-12-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
An alternative would be to start shooting long range steel with us at the range up here .

We will be opening up finally on a regular basis in the new year , heated firing position and steel at 600,700,800,900, and 1,000 meters!

Cat

Deal! Let’s do it. Thanks Cat.

Old 12-12-2019, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Deal! Let’s do it. Thanks Cat.

You got it!
We are anxious to get this underway in January and hopefully I will be able to get a bit of an introductory shoot going hopefully in February as well .
For those not aware we are one of the few ranges in Alberta templates for .50 BMG
Cat
Old 12-12-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Cat
I hope your heated firing positions are stoked with Ab nat gas.....

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 PM
Shooting Xs

Quote:
Cat
Very nice!Wish I wasn't so far south,sounds a whole lot better than a cold bench with a North wind.
Good for Ft. Mac.,nice range.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLab View Post
Very nice!Wish I wasn't so far south,sounds a whole lot better than a cold bench with a North wind.
Good for Ft. Mac.,nice range.
We used to hoard in our 500 meter line as well, and the guys would bring buddy heaters with them and shoot out of "windows " in the hoarding.
Worked pretty good actually.
Our 1K range has a few disadvantages, the biggest being it is in an elevated building, so we only have 4 firing positions.

I was involved in the initial brushing but not the actual landscaping, but the terrain is such that it was easier and cheaper to erect the building that to grade the land so we could shoot on the ground - too much muskeg issues!!
However , it works and is A-OKAY for the majority of our membership using steel only because as far as I know am the only belly shooter up here now.
Steel is fun though and that is the main thing!
Cat
Old 12-12-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
I hope your heated firing positions are stoked with Ab nat gas.....
OH YEAH!
Cat
Old 12-14-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:

You can't go wrong with a Savage 10 Tactical in .308. Heavy barrel, 20" or 24", Accustock. Stupid accurate right out of the box and very reasonably priced. Mine required very little load development to routinely shoot 4 or 5-shot bug holes at 100 yds. Makes me look like I know what I'm doing. lol
Old 12-14-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Have gone the rabbit hole of precision shooting with an interest in PRS style shooting and longer distance shooting (500+ yards).

Disclaimer: I don’t know too much about this style of shooting. I am mainly a hunter. Just want to try something new, it looks fun and I want to improve shooting in general.

Looking to keep rifle "around" $2000 (used or new). Haven’t decide on scope budget it yet but will be about the same. This set up will NOT be used for hunting.

I’ve notice most guys have a chassis style stock or an adjustable stock like an McMillan A3 or A5 style. What is recommended or advantages or disadvantages of each for PRS shooting and general long distance shooting? Is a folding stock recommended if I go with a chassis?

Looking at either getting a

1. Tikka CRT and put it into a stock/chassis
2. Tikka TAC A1
3. Ruger Precision Rifle

Or is there another rifle option you would recommend or a specific chassis for the Tikka CRT are welcome.
Judging by the lack of you specifically saying so, I take it you're not looking for a left-handed rifle ? You shoot right handed ?
Old 12-15-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Judging by the lack of you specifically saying so, I take it you're not looking for a left-handed rifle ? You shoot right handed ?

Yes I’m right handed.