Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Warrior

Default Camping around Elkford BC

Just wondering if anyone has any experience camping in and around Elkford. We are planning on heading that way for the May long and want to random/bush camp. We will be doing some biking, but the bikes are dual sports so driving on the roads won't be an issue to go sight seeing...

Any input?
Old 01-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Warrior

Sorry this should have been in General. Mods please feel free to move if required.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 PM
M70

You might have better luck if you travel along the gravel road north of Elkford out to the lakes. The land along the highway from Sparwood looks like alot of it is privately owned. I would definitely check out Josephine Falls. The hike is fairly short and I've seen some bikes on there as well. Grave Lake on the way to Elkford has a few privately owned cabins once again, so I don't know about the random camping there either. Hope this helps.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Jonesy11

Warrior,

I grew up in Elkford and my back yard/playground was everything north of Elkford (Elk Valley). As you are probably aware, the highway does not go past Elkford, it goes "to" Elkford. After that it is gravel raod for 75 kms north to the BC/Alberta boder. But that 75 km stretch is God's Country. The gravel road is passable by car. Your worst obstacle is pot holes. There are about 7 different Forestry Recreation Campsites between Elkford and the Elk Lakes Provincial Park. Which is at the very north end of the elk valley, just before the border. All the Recreation Campsites are free and have picnic tables, as well as outhouses. Other than that, it's whatever you pack in your camper. If you are looking for the exact location of these camping spots I would advise contacting the Tourist Information Centre which is ran by the Elkford Chamber of Commerce and they will send you an information package. Or, make a point of stopping in there on your way into town. Their e-mail is info@tourismelkford.ca <info@tourismelkford.ca>

Or call 1-250-865-4614.

Enjoy the Elk Valley.
Let us know how you like it.