Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2020, 07:21 PM

Default delete

Its starting to make sense now ,seeing all these home made videos on A/O.
Every time you watch one of these videos it has a commercial attached to it and the guy is getting $$$ for every hit he gets.
Kinda of seems like free advertising on A/O.
Sure its nice to see some fishing videos, but I think when an Advertisement is attached to it A/O should delete it .
What do you guys think?
Old 02-22-2020, 07:23 PM

sounds to me like you have too much time on your hands!
Old 02-22-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Every time you watch one of these videos it has a commercial attached to it and the guy is getting $$$ for every hit he gets.
Sure its nice to see some fishing videos, but I think when an Advertisement is attached to it A/O should delete it .
What do you guys think?
None of the guys posting their videos on here are making fifty cents with their YouTube videos.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
What do you guys think?
YouTube ads pay like $2-4 per thousand views. And I think you have to break something like 10,000 views to even qualify.

No one on AO is making any money on this.

Even guys like Aaron Wiebe from uncut aren’t making much off their videos. Maybe a few hundred dollars for some of his most popular videos.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:16 PM

Whether there making big money or no money what do you really care? There providing entertainment that we all enjoy doing,Ive followed quite a few of the guys on this forum due to there great videos. They put the time in creating,editing and uploading each one so if my like or view gets them some dollars then I’m glad I could help out. To everyone posting videos keep it up,I like watching fishing and hunting. Beats most of these threads lately that get derailed over the same stuff each and every year.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:16 PM

Think you should go fishing lol
Old 02-22-2020, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter4ever12 View Post
Whether there making big money or no money what do you really care? There providing entertainment that we all enjoy doing,Ive followed quite a few of the guys on this forum due to there great videos. They put the time in creating,editing and uploading each one so if my like or view gets them some dollars then I’m glad I could help out. To everyone posting videos keep it up,I like watching fishing and hunting. Beats most of these threads lately that get derailed over the same stuff each and every year.
Exactly
Old 02-22-2020, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Yup. Keep posting vids everyone. We enjoy them.
Not sure what the problem is.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:16 PM

My biggest video has just under 10k views. I can assure you that I have never seen a cent.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-22-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
What do you guys think?
I've been doing this for a long time, so not really worried what people think or if they watch them or not. But I don't want comments or people reading your comment and believing this garbage because I like seeing the other guys videos and I know how much work it is. I don't want them to stop. So this is to Set the Record Straight.

I will not miss posting here if the administrators don't want me to post here. Seriously isn't worth my time posting a link. I do it because I like making the videos and enjoy sharing the adventures. It's always up to people whether they want to watch or not.

If you don't believe me I'm probably one of the few guys who makes a few cents off the videos. You either need 1000 Youtube Subscribers or 4,000 hours (thats 166.6 days straight viewing time a year) of watch time within the past 12 months to qualify for monetization. Everyone who doesn't have that does not even qualify to make a cent. They get nothing.

Just FYI, I thought you and others would like to see the actual stats. I looked up the last analytics from my Kokanee video with the kids.

There are currently = 1031 views total.
The number of views from www.outdoorsmenforum.ca = 70 (seventy)

Percent of views 6.7% (which will diminish to almost nothing as time progresses as more views build up organically)

Current video earnings. $2.60

6.7% of that is $0.17 (17 cents).

Considering I took at least 4 to 5 hours editing the video that is a whopping... wait for it..... drum roll.... 3.4 cents per hour of editing.

JR you are right. I must thank you and everyone here for contributing to my retirement fund.

To fish the lake I drove 4 hours each way, stayed in a hotel over night. You do the math. If you still think it's for the money you may want to start your own channel!

Best of luck.

I'm ok with whatever Admin says. They say goodbye, I'll say seeya. No hard feelings. I know how online media works though. Traffic is everything. You tell people to stop posting and leave your forum, Guess what happens?

Click that link to see Kids Killing Kokanee haha - https://youtu.be/3vIi2l5yQnE

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures

Last edited by Brandonkop; 02-22-2020 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:43 PM

Well put Brandon!!

I spent my teens watching Brandon's videos and remember watching them over and over again before every trip to try to pick up on anything I could. I can accredit my passion for laker fishing to watching his videos and another very generous user on this forum who took me out to show me the ropes before I could afford my own gear.

I can guarantee you I have not made a dime from you tube advertising. I simply make my videos because I enjoy doing so. I fish Cold Lake primarily and utilize these videos to help others as well as for entertainment purposes. I know lots of people come from out of town and spend a ton of money on gas, hotels, equipment and bait just to have the opportunity to fish this fishery. These videos are to help people with techniques, areas to fish, lures to use and any other small tip to help them out along the way. If my video helps one person catch a couple more fish on their next big trip that they spent their hard earned money on then in my mind it was 100% worth my time and effort!
Old 02-22-2020, 11:05 PM

Default Really???

It's obvious some people don't do any research on subjects prior to posting.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:27 AM

It seems to be the way our society is headed. Spend 10 minutes on line and pick something to protest. Truly disappointing, I rarely post on here and this is a prime example of why.
Keep the videos coming please Brandon, you do great work and they are appreciated. When you make enough to retire remember all the little people that helped you get there...Lol
Old 02-23-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I've been doing this for a long time, so not really worried what people think or if they watch them or not. But I don't want comments or people reading your comment and believing this garbage because I like seeing the other guys videos and I know how much work it is. I don't want them to stop. So this is to Set the Record Straight.

I will not miss posting here if the administrators don't want me to post here. Seriously isn't worth my time posting a link. I do it because I like making the videos and enjoy sharing the adventures. It's always up to people whether they want to watch or not.

If you don't believe me I'm probably one of the few guys who makes a few cents off the videos. You either need 1000 Youtube Subscribers or 4,000 hours (thats 166.6 days straight viewing time a year) of watch time within the past 12 months to qualify for monetization. Everyone who doesn't have that does not even qualify to make a cent. They get nothing.

Just FYI, I thought you and others would like to see the actual stats. I looked up the last analytics from my Kokanee video with the kids.

Percent of views 6.7% (which will diminish to almost nothing as time progresses as more views build up organically)

Considering I took at least 4 to 5 hours editing the video that is a whopping... wait for it..... drum roll.... 3.4 cents per hour of editing.

JR you are right. I must thank you and everyone here for contributing to my retirement fund.

To fish the lake I drove 4 hours each way, stayed in a hotel over night. You do the math. If you still think it's for the money you may want to start your own channel!

Best of luck.

I'm ok with whatever Admin says. They say goodbye, I'll say seeya. No hard feelings. I know how online media works though. Traffic is everything. You tell people to stop posting and leave your forum, Guess what happens?

Well said Brandon. I always take the time to watch your videos. Also like Huyfishin videos. Both are great and it’s a good way to help people get better at the sport. Keep them coming.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post

Best of luck.

I saw that one guy suggested it the forum, the op, and there was nothing but support for the videos that was posted in the reply’s, none of the mods have kicked in which would imply their support, relax a bit would ya
Old 02-23-2020, 09:15 AM

Like anything if you don’t like it don’t click on it. Myself I only watch the odd clip posted but prefer posts that are more interactive between members. I am more inclined to watch the YouTube stuff posted by those who contribute to the forum beyond just dropping YouTube links. This is my choice

I don’t see any harm in those posting YouTube stuff and many enjoy them. Like Brandon posted they are not making big bucks or even breaking even
Old 02-23-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:

This^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2020, 09:28 AM

Lets ban all of the hunting and fishing videos on a hunting and fishing forum!

Makes total sense to me ...........

Old 02-23-2020, 10:05 AM

My first guess is, if the video has a commercial, then does this say they get a return from advertising from the company.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:30 PM

For those that spend the time making, editing and posting videos please keep them coming and if there is a few sour grapes out there, that’s their problem.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:06 PM

When I grew up in the 80’s and 90’s there was fishin Canada, bob izumi, and a couple bass fishing shows. And now people are complaining about too much local content lol
Old 02-23-2020, 01:47 PM

I'm glad you are not speaking on behalf of the forum JR.

If people who post videos make a few bucks, who cares, the bottom line is 99% of the stuff we enjoy watching doesn't amount to an hour's (let alone days) wages for any of these guys. They enjoy making videos and we enjoy watching them.

I appreciate these guys .... keep the videos coming.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:23 PM

I spent 10k in camera gear last year. I crashed a 3000 dollar drone into a lake the first time I used it. I know I'll probably never make my money back for any of it. However it's become a hobby of mine. The videos I make and edit are all self taught. (including wife's help)

When I'm able to make a video which people enjoy watching. it makes me absolutely happy. I'm not begging people to watch it so I can get rich off of you. Although it would be nice to make enough to even cover a pack of minnows. I don't get a cent.

This is just something I'm passionate about. I answer all my messages with everyones questions regarding my bait, lures, depths and ice conditions.

The thread started off very discouraging. It ended well with everyone's support. So I just want to thank everyone.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife