Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-09-2019, 06:13 PM

Default Ways to stop scope moving from heartbeat

At the range Sunday I noticed that my scope was moving from my heartbeat. Was shooting from a bench supported w rear bag front rest etc. Could have been the excess coffee but noticed movement. What do you do. .. if at all to overcome this? Shoot between heartbeats? Padding on shoulder? Anyone experience this?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2019, 06:20 PM

Arsenic?
Old 09-09-2019, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWCalgary View Post
At the range Sunday I noticed that my scope was moving from my heartbeat. Was shooting from a bench supported w rear bag front rest etc. Could have been the excess coffee but noticed movement. What do you do. .. if at all to overcome this? Shoot between heartbeats? Padding on shoulder? Anyone experience this?

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
There is no way to eliminate pulse beat from the sight picture be it with a scope or irons , and the more you try the worse it gets .
Stay away from caffeine drinks or excess sugar if you want to try serious about it , learn to regulate your breathing and shoot between the pulse beats are only a few things to do .
Cat
Old 09-09-2019, 06:33 PM

Shoot between the heart beats...... I seldom even have to do it consciously anymore, it’s just part of getting the mojo going.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Arsenic?
lol
Old 09-09-2019, 07:44 PM

Dont rest your chest against the edge of the bench.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:45 PM

My heart must not only be equipped with a silencer, but also have a high end dampening system which is unfortunate because I’d like another excuse for throwing shots. With a “rate” of 60 it means I would have to synchronize my eye-hand coordination to make the trigger break within a 1/2 second interval. Way too complicated. Bottom line, work on breaking the trigger when the crosshairs are right.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Shoot between the heart beats...... I seldom even have to do it consciously anymore, it’s just part of getting the mojo going.

I shot competitive biathlon for 15 years, including international and Olympic level. Maybe the competition BR guys can chime in with more info. Here is my take:

While I agree that it is technically possible to shoot between systolic heartbeats, I can attest that the worlds best biathletes pay no attention to heart rate, other than deep breathing sequences prior to shooting in competition and training to drop the heart rate from say 185bpm to around 150.

This is from sling-supported prone shooting and unsupported standing. Peep sights with no magnification.

I have little centerfire benchrest experience, other than load workup for hunting rifles.

I really believe that in this case MAGNIFICATION can be your enemy since it will make any movement more noticeable in the reticle. I would suggest two things (other than laying off the coffee and not forgetting the beta blockers*):

1. Dial down the scope;
2. Learn to accept what I call the area of acceptable hits. What I mean is that if your crosshair is within a given acceptable target area (or kill zone) and the crosshair spends 95% within that area, then quit focusing on a perfect hit. Just believe that the VAST majority of shots will be hits. Your squeeze of the trigger will be steadier, with less chance of slapping or jerking the shot. If you are too unstable and your crosshair spends more time outside of the kill zone, then adjust position and get more steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Arsenic?
Another LOL
Old 09-09-2019, 08:40 PM

Say away from caffeine.
Old 09-09-2019, 09:21 PM
Banned

I've ever only seen my pulse move the crosshairs in high powered rimfire scopes at 50 yrds.
It seemed to disappear at 15x
Old 09-09-2019, 09:30 PM

All depends on what your after , in a bench set up (36x-50x+) the cross hairs/dot should never move unless it’s intentional (squeezing the rear bag or moving the joy stick ) make sure your cheek is off the stock as well as your hands , you can pin the rifle with your shoulder but make sure it’s the same every time ,let the rest and rear bag do what they are supposed to , and that is hold the rifle in place on target, face and hands on the rifle are a sure way to introduce stray shots .the front and rear bag need to fit your set up , heart beat never really plays into it
Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 PM

Turn the power on your scope down....caffeine etc...bad news...relax your death grip on the stock (wrist hand)...do not use your other hand to support the rifle in anyway....(If your only shooting from a hunting position then this point is mute)..Dis regard all the "shooters" you see on TV who hold down their rifle by placing a hand on top of the scope (or anywhere else).

If you can, ( It is hard to overcome the urge to snuggle up to the recoil pad) pull your shoulder off the rifle, let it free recoil (Good bags and front rest will do wonders, most rifles will not jump out of the bags, practice (dry fire..LOTS), only place your trigger finger on the trigger un wrap your thumb from the wrist of the rifle (squeeze) Some shooters only have their thumb and trigger finger on the rifle ..turn down your scope...then as you begin gaining confidence....turn the power up a bit at a time...Most casual shooters only need 10X or less...better still 6x or less....at least for big game.

Heart beat can be a killer...but with time and practice it will become less of a concern.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:04 PM

I was told with archery, that the window from 7-15 seconds is the best, after that the pulse goes up from holding at full draw. That also seems to apply with shooting offhand, about the same time to settle in and steady the sight somewhat. I always noticed my offhand aim worked in a figure eight with the scope between 12-20 power, and the time frame was pretty similar to archery, and that was with a 15lb gun. For bench I always relaxed my trigger hand, barely rested the gun against the shoulder, and tried as hard as I could to get that the same every time. The rifle has to recoil straight back, no influence from the bags at all, all they have to do is hold it up, no side pressure or twisting of the gunstock during recoil. Crosshairs should be centered on the target with the gun just sitting there, no change when you grip it, lightly. My Bee stock looks bit funky, but it recoils straight and easily in the bags, the rear sits and doesn't want to slide back like straight tapers such as hunting guns and english grips. It works for me anyway. Get rid of your non-flush sling swivels while using the bags too.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I shot competitive biathlon for 15 years, including international and Olympic level. Maybe the competition BR guys can chime in with more info. Here is my take:

While I agree that it is technically possible to shoot between systolic heartbeats, I can attest that the worlds best biathletes pay no attention to heart rate, other than deep breathing sequences prior to shooting in competition and training to drop the heart rate from say 185bpm to around 150.

This is from sling-supported prone shooting and unsupported standing. Peep sights with no magnification.

I have little centerfire benchrest experience, other than load workup for hunting rifles.

I really believe that in this case MAGNIFICATION can be your enemy since it will make any movement more noticeable in the reticle. I would suggest two things (other than laying off the coffee and not forgetting the beta blockers*):

1. Dial down the scope;
2. Learn to accept what I call the area of acceptable hits. What I mean is that if your crosshair is within a given acceptable target area (or kill zone) and the crosshair spends 95% within that area, then quit focusing on a perfect hit. Just believe that the VAST majority of shots will be hits. Your squeeze of the trigger will be steadier, with less chance of slapping or jerking the shot. If you are too unstable and your crosshair spends more time outside of the kill zone, then adjust position and get more steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What you are describing sounds like what is called “trusting your wobble” (I think I plagiarized that term from HP Silhouette shooters)

In other words it’s always there, you just become attuned to it, and learn to work around it, same as the heart beat thing......

There are no absolutes
Old 09-10-2019, 06:37 AM

This is not a complicated thing but many make it complicated .
You can’t stop wobble offhand, nor can you stop your heartbeat on a high powered scope , so offhand let the sights wobble around the target as was mentioned , but shooting a big magnum off the bench is not fun.

In this case , the noted shooter and hunter Warren Page recommended tiding a firm for end grip instead of squeezing the rear bag .
Cat
Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 AM

Many BR guys shoot free recoil, they are not touching the gun except for the tip of a finger on a 2 oz or less trigger. A solid concrete bench helps absorb effects of pulse. A flimsy table or creaky wooden bench seems to amplify it.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Many BR guys shoot free recoil, they are not touching the gun except for the tip of a finger on a 2 oz or less trigger. A solid concrete bench helps absorb effects of pulse. A flimsy table or creaky wooden bench seems to amplify it.
They are also not shooting anything near as big as an ‘06 or some of the big magnums that are so popular these days !
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 09-10-2019 at 07:27 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Banned

Get in better shape, lower than heart rate BPM