Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-11-2017, 10:44 AM

Default Comparison of ultra light spin against fly rod wts.

Anyone know or have a good guess as to what a 6 ft ultra light spinning rod would equal in a fly rod? Im thinking maybe a 4 wt would be a close guess.

Ive caught a few 2-3 pounders that feel about the same on my ultra light spin rod to a 5wt. i think at least, but?.

Im asking as i dont really want to fish say the Bow with my ultra light as ive been told 5 wt is lightest most would use in fly rod. Im not interested in playing fish out to exhaustion and i cant fly fish for a while yet. Need to know what to bring.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Maybe i should clarify more, so it doesnt look like im asking a frivolous question above.
I grew up first south of Calgary and later in the city. I spent countless hours down by the Bow as a kid cause i hated the rush of the city back even then and the river valley didnt have a whole bunch of roads running along side it.

Unfortunately i never got into fishing till later in my life after moving away from Calgary. So its on my bucket list to fish the Bow even though i grew up mostly there.

That desire has increased since my recent heart attack and i was hopeing possibly my ultra light spin rod would work there as im now having trouble casting anything to heavy weight wise. Cant cast a fly rod yet. Arms over head is a nono. My heart starts skipping if i do that and it tires me too much.
Ill be there at end of month for a few days just for my bucket list to be fulfilled.. Getting excited. been wanting to do this for a long time. Im even down there periodically but just no time before.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:00 PM

Easy enough to find out using this system.

http://www.common-cents.info/

I have measured every rod I've built as well as every rod I own. Google Common Cents Data bank and you will find some data banks.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-11-2017, 06:20 PM

Another option is a switch / spey rod. Easier on the body and from what I have been told from my research after an elbow surgery a 4wt Switch would be very bow appropriate.

As for a straight comparison I would think an ultralight would be closer to a 3-4wt than a 5 wt but of course it would depend on the specific brands since they are not all created equally.