Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-02-2017, 11:03 AM

Default Bamboo rod building kits and blanks

Howdy,

After fiddling around with replacing guides on a couple of rods and repairing a couple of cheap bamboo rods (purchased off ebay) so they are fishable, I find myself intrigued by the idea of trying my hand at rod building.

I need another hobby like a hole in the head but.........there are worse ways to spend money and time.

I have very little knowledge in the area besides what I've read and a few tidbits of information regarding suppliers and epoxy techniques for guide replacement that Don Andersen was kind enough to answer over the phone a couple years ago.

There is a wealth of knowledge on the interweb that I've just stared to really dig into but was wondering if any rod builders out there might answer a few questions.

First off have any builders out there purchased kits or blanks from Angler's Roost?

If so, what is the quality like?

They have a couple of bamboo rod kits I'm interested in. The price seems reasonable ( $150 US + shipping) and a kit seems like a good place to start rather that learning every aspect of building that could take years and years to figure out before I build something that might be fishable.

Any advice or information regarding bamboo blank suppliers or bamboo kits would be appreciated.

For now, I've got a few chironimid patterns fresh off the bench and I'm going fishin!

Have a great weekend.
Stan
Old 06-02-2017, 04:54 PM

Not such much specifically bamboo, but check out Proof Fly Fishing for rod building supplies. Matt is a great guy, helpful, and tries to minimize costs to you.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
Not such much specifically bamboo, but check out Proof Fly Fishing for rod building supplies. Matt is a great guy, helpful, and tries to minimize costs to you.
Thanx for the feedback. I'll check them out.
Old 06-06-2017, 10:27 PM

Default Bamboo rod building

I've been finishing out and restoring and repairing bamboo rods in the Edmonton area for the past 15 or so years. I offer restoration and repair of bamboo rods but can't post a link to my business website here so PM me if interested in viewing my work and learning more about bamboo rod building.
I have only ordered one blank from Angler's Roost in the past and it didn't stack up to blanks from reputable blank builders in the USA. I promptly sent it back for full refund.

Probably the best deal in a high quality blank is from Dennis Stone of Stone Rod Co. located in Oregon. He does great repair scarf work too should you ever break a rod section. He often offers blanks on sale in spring and fall for a decent discount. I've built out 3 or 4 of his rods to date and have been extremely happy. Rod blanks are in the $250 -$350 USD range depending on configuration and length (more rod sections = more $$$)

Another builder that offers very high quality blanks at decent price is Tim Zietak located in Pennsylvania. He offers many classic tapers in both hex and quad format. I've completed a couple of quad rods from him in the past and have plans for more. Rod blanks are in the $300-$400 USD range depending on configuration and length (more rod sections = more $$$).

Lastly I will mention Bill Critchfield based on decent quality work but more importantly his blanks are relatively inexpensive (not much more than Angler's Roost). He offers them on the big auction site and they go for $200 USD or less. He produces some great tapers, but to be honest the only reason I don't use his blanks is that he uses Titebond III adhesive to glue his blanks up and I feel that yields a slightly softer (slower) blank than would otherwise result if an epoxy or URAC adhesive is used.

There are other builders, but these are the ones that are reasonably inexpensive and have short turnaround time. And they all stand behind their work.

I source out and buy rod components from various suppliers mainly in the U.S. including Struble for cork grips and agate stripping guides, Bellinger for high quality reel seats, Snake Brand Guides for their high quality guides. I get my aluminum rod tubes from Landmark.
REC also carries a large selection of high quality reel seats and does sell cork grips, guides, rod tubes and other components too.
Companies like Angler's workshop and Golden Witch in the U.S. sell all the components and consumable supplies like adhesives and silk thread you'll need.
Rodbuilders Supplies is a Canadian company located in Victoria B.C. and does carry a good selection of components used for bamboo rods. I have used them in the past and Andy is a great guy to deal with.

Just thinking out loud here but another good option for you is to get a better quality used vintage rod and do a complete strip down refinish job. While that may or may not necessitate replacing a cork grip and reel seat, At least you will get experience wrapping all the guides and learning how to straighten rod sections and fit ferrules. Then you will also get a chance to varnish a full rod.

Anyway just food for thought. PM me or email eastslope@shaw.ca if you have other questions.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:00 AM

Ronbill,

Thanx very much for that! You've provided some great information.

Don A. directed me to Rod Builders supply and they have been great to deal with for the few things I've ordered.

I will be contacting you.

Stan
Old 06-07-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
Ronbill,

Thanx very much for that! You've provided some great information.

Don A. directed me to Rod Builders supply and they have been great to deal with for the few things I've ordered.

I will be contacting you.

Stan
Stan, it's important to learn what influences various adhesives, ferrules, varnish, etc., have on a bamboo rod's action and durability. Also one of the most important aspects of bamboo rods is understanding tapers and learning about the work of various classic rod makers. Try to cast as many as possible to get an appreciation for the feel of each design. This will help you decide on what kind of taper suits you and your casting style.

Perhaps we can meet up at a local trout pond and cast a few different rods for comparison.

Cheers,

Ron
Old 06-08-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbill View Post
Stan, it's important to learn what influences various adhesives, ferrules, varnish, etc., have on a bamboo rod's action and durability. Also one of the most important aspects of bamboo rods is understanding tapers and learning about the work of various classic rod makers. Try to cast as many as possible to get an appreciation for the feel of each design. This will help you decide on what kind of taper suits you and your casting style.

Perhaps we can meet up at a local trout pond and cast a few different rods for comparison.

Cheers,

Ron
Sounds great! I appreciate the offer.

I tracked down your website and will be contacting you.