Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 10:17 PM

Default Bear Hunting in Peace River area_Spot and Stalk

I am looking for a guide in the peace river area that hunts up and down the river for Black bears in the Spring (Spot and stalk). Don't need full outfitting, just a guide with knowledge of the area and a boat. Any info will be appreciated.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:19 PM

What an exciting idea! Hope you get that guide soon!
Mess around with the settings and repeat the test a couple of times. After you understand the ranges at which your camera takes the most pictures, you’ll be able to hang it more effectively in the field and fewer deer will ghost by your setup.
https://hunthacks.com/best-trail-camera-reviews/
Old 06-26-2017, 08:22 AM

There's nobody that I know who does this. A few guys that do non resident baited hunts up there but you're not likely looking to sit over popcorn if you're asking for spot and stalk.

There's a guy north east of Grande Prairie that does resident hunts on the Smokey river. I think those are baited hunts too but maybe he could be talked into doing spot and stalk

I know you had said you don't need to be fully outfitted but you're going to need somebody with a boat that's willing to spend a week on the river burning fuel so it's basically going to be exactly that.

If you want to come hunt BC I could do it there. But 7 days on the river with a guide is going to cost you about $7500 Canadian.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 AM

dude that sounds like it would be a lot of fun. I live in Edmonton but have hunted black bear up in 524 spot and stalk, if you cant find anybody to go with you maybe you and I can come up with a game plan. even if we have to canoe lol
Old 06-29-2017, 10:49 AM

Thanks to those of you who chimed in. I am actually not after a bear myself but will be hosting a buddy of mine from Austria who wants to have a spot and stalk hunt and is not interested in hunting over bait.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:03 AM
Banned

I know guys who float the Peace and spot from the river. They always get a bear, so it must work for them.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
Thanks to those of you who chimed in. I am actually not after a bear myself but will be hosting a buddy of mine from Austria who wants to have a spot and stalk hunt and is not interested in hunting over bait.

There's a reason every outfitter uses bait. Often folks want a certain kind of hunt based on unrealistic expectations. you could set up some bait and ground hunt the vicinity while the bears are coming in. I know Fred Bear did it this was because he wasn't fond of sitting over baits.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
There's a reason every outfitter uses bait. Often folks want a certain kind of hunt based on unrealistic expectations. you could set up some bait and ground hunt the vicinity while the bears are coming in. I know Fred Bear did it this was because he wasn't fond of sitting over baits.
Are you saying that a bait is necessary for success?

I hunt bear spot and stalk, and so do my friends. We kill our bear / bears every year, passed on several bears daily, cause we aim for 6' and over.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:32 PM

Not saying it's necessary but that many people from other countries have a flawed understanding of spot and stalk success rates.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:58 PM

hes hosting a non-resident and wants to sorta use an outfitter....... isn't that a bit of an issue? seems like a way of skirting the rules? not sure on this but it seems to defy what the outfitter system was set up for?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogg View Post
hes hosting a non-resident and wants to sorta use an outfitter....... isn't that a bit of an issue? seems like a way of skirting the rules? not sure on this but it seems to defy what the outfitter system was set up for?
As long as he uses a non-resident outfitter with allocations he's all good, or he can just do it on his own.

No resident guides, guiding a partner hunt !
Old 06-29-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Not saying it's necessary but that many people from other countries have a flawed understanding of spot and stalk success rates.
Spot and stalk success rates being higher then baited hunts ???

We go 100% on every tag we sell unless the hunter decides to pass on the bears he's shown.

I had my first bear hunter ever go home empty handed this year. He passed on 41 different bears including 3 boars that were at least 7 footers.
Old 06-29-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Spot and stalk success rates being higher then baited hunts ???

We go 100% on every tag we sell unless the hunter decides to pass on the bears he's shown.

I had my first bear hunter ever go home empty handed this year. He passed on 41 different bears including 3 boars that were at least 7 footers.
Wow how's that for twisting words
Old 06-29-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Wow how's that for twisting words
Did I misunderstand what you were trying to say ?
Old 06-29-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Did I misunderstand what you were trying to say ?
Yup...but s'okay