Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-22-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snm View Post
Firearms got me into hunting. I got my pal and then within 2 years of shooting i took the hunting course and then progressed to birds and then big game. I hunt with my best friend and anyone who is down to earth. Always learning everything I can from anyone with experience.

My family came from areas in the world where there is pretty horrible things happening. Everyone had an aversion to guns because of things they have seen.
This was a big reason for my lack of hunting experiences until I was an adult. My mother was a missionary's kid in Peru in the 60's - 70's and lived in fear of The Shining Path terrorist group. No way will she allow even a BB gun in her home, it doesn't make sense to me but then I've never had to worry about people burning my home and killing me.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:38 PM

Mom and dad split when I was two, dad was a hunter. I never did get a chance to hunt with my dad though. He passed away when I was thirteen. I didn't start hunting until I was in my early twenties. Started off bow hunting. As it was easier to acquire a bow, without needing a PAL. A few years later I won a rifle, which caused me to go out and get my PAL. I would say I have been primarily self taught. Lots of trial and error, lots of magazines and books read. I still make lots of mistakes, but it helps me learn more. Hunting has become my way of connecting with my father. Even though he's been gone for 22 years.

Last edited by bowhunter9841; 06-22-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:58 AM

Default Awesome stories

I'm amazed at the responses to this post. Never thought So many people would have wrote in about this topic. Glad to see all these adult onset hunters getting it done year after year.

Cheers
John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 06-23-2017, 01:40 PM

My dad always hunted and many times with neighbors who guided in the 70's-80's. I always loved hearing the stories and adventures, and that certainly hooked my into the outdoors.

Now I find I'm helping friends who didn't have the same opportunity when they were young.

So I guess the my contribution to this thread is...I'm now mentoring adult hunters
Old 06-23-2017, 07:33 PM

I got my start last year for non 2 legs. New world for me lol. My friend suggested it might be a good thing to try. Long time picking make and models, trying old learned rules with this new form of hunting. Some fits some not so much. Now stuck trying to decide on a Xbox lol.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:32 AM

I was fortunate my Dad and uncles were homesteaders living on moose in winter in Peace country. Father taught me how to track moose and shot my first bull when I was 12, knocked him over on his butt with 30-30 when shot him in the neck. Passing the knowledge to my son and his hunting partner, they have shot their bull moose in one day of hunting last 3 years. Must be doing something right as takes me and my trapping partner usually a week to get our moose. PS We must be getting old!
Old 06-27-2017, 07:42 PM

Default pop's teach me nuttin'

I always had an interest in hunting while I was a kid. My pops didnt teach me anything to do with rifles or hunting for that matter.

I first learned how to actually shoot was the military and now I am self teaching myself how to hunt though I have reached out a couple of times, and those couple of times, hunters have been nice enough to take me out to show me the ropes.

Relying on my Military background and applying that to the stalking and shooting.

Pop's was a hunter and as his pop's but the hunting aspect when my pop's got married. my pop's was not a outdoor's man like he thinks he is.

Last edited by Viking Caliber; 06-27-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: oops!!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:04 PM

My father "hunted". He never got anything. Shot a deer in the 50's and that was his experience in total.

I had to beg to go, got rejected 99% of the time. Times I did go, I stayed alone in the truck, looking at trees with binoculars.

So, at 10yrs old, I decided screw it, I'd go myself. Bike, gun, bush, didn't know anything about licenses. Got spanked a lot too. Didn't care.

Learned on my own. There was no choice.

As an adult, I decided that if anyone ever needed help or advice, I would do my best for them and never repeat what my father did. One of the big reasons I joined AO.

For those who had dad's that took them, I envy you.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 06-28-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
My father "hunted".

I had to beg to go, got rejected 99% of the time. Times I did go, I stayed in the truck, looking at trees with binoculars.

So, at 10yrs old, I'd go myself. Bike, gun, bush, didn't know anything about licenses. Got spanked a lot too. Didn't care.

Learned on my own. There was no choice.

As an adult, I decided that if anyone ever needed help or advice, I would do my best for them and never repeat what my father did.

For those who had dad's who took them, I envy you.
Dang went with my grandpa and dad all the time.

Grandpa set me up for my first deer. Dang I was afraid of pulling that 3006 trigger.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 06-28-2017, 05:33 PM

My dad and uncles were avid hunters. When I was younger I always got to take the first week of school off to go moose hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
i also have to say that without this forum, i probably wouldnt be hunting at all.
All the forms of hunting media are probably responsible for half of the hunters. I would bet half of Alberta's hunters don't have a family hunting heritage. If hunting hadn't become so mainstream the province wouldn't have 400K+ draws being applied for either. Probably wouldn't even have draws.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-29-2017, 07:39 PM

I'm the first in my family to hunt in years. We've got a decent shooting history but not much hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2017, 11:37 AM

I grew up the son of two Irish immigrants to Canada, so fishing and hunting wasn't part of that. I grew up in Peterborough Ontario and fished in the Otonabee river near our house almost every day each summer, never caught much as I had no idea what I was doing.

When I was 35 I moved to Deep River, On for work and was re-introduced to fishing and to hunting. The first year we lived there a friend invited me to come along for a day of hunting, they were a very well organized large multigenerational family group that pushed bush for moose and deer. Another friend hunted deer from tree stands. After coming along that year I was hooked. I bought a used Model 70 30-06, practised all summer, didn't get any action during moose but killed a deer in November.

Shortly after that we moved to Ft McMurray where it really took off, met a few guys who taught me to shoot, catnthehat among them and a few that took me out and showed me a few spots.

Got pretty good at finding deer, probably shot 30 or so over the 11 years I lived there (Supp tags every year and three years of 3 extra mule deer doe tags NW of Grande Prairie.

Interest died out a bit when we moved to Edmonton, they pretty much completely when we moved to NB. Just too busy with work in the fall, but moved to Winnipeg two years ago and now would be described as avid, but not very talented fishermen on Lake of the Woods.

So hunting, probably 80% self taught.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:15 PM

There are a lot of newcomers to the challenge and sport of hunting. Judging from some of the posts here, it's great to see the interest and determination to become knowledgable and proficient hunters.

However, with so many entering the hunting fraternity, we have to wonder if there will be enough game around in a few short years to support this continuing influx. It is imperative we also learn constraint. Just how many animals do we have to kill each year to satisfy our personal needs and display our competence?
This type of overkill is not sustainable. Self imposed limits are necessary in spite of the fact it is legal for one family to take several big game animals in a given year. This is a proven way to self-destruct a priveledge we all enjoy and can look forward to .. at the moment. Take a deep breath, look around, slow down and enjoy hunting for what it really is.
The Good Old Days are Now !
Old 07-11-2017, 03:06 PM

I grew up in a non-hunting family in Northern BC (prime moose country). My grandpa even owned a hunting and fishing operation in the Yukon and would drop off leftover meat (caribou, moose, sheep and goat). I was busy mountain biking and snowboarding as a kid and never had an interest in hunting. I now know how great of an opportunity I missed out on with my grandpas operation in the Yukon. He sold it 10 years ago to a well know TV hunting personality. This was about the time when a buddy from university asked me if I wanted to tag a long for a whitetail hunt. On the second day of the hunt I ended up spotting the buck we harvested. After learning how to field dress and butcher the deer I was hooked for life. The following spring I got my PAL and did my hunter education and was off to the races. I've learned a lot over the past years from a lot of very knowledgeable hunters, read a lot of books and watched a lot of Meat Eater, Randy Newberg and SoloHunter. Hunting has definitely changed my life for the better and am extremely grateful that I was introduced to it, even if it was later in life. Now I am just trying to figure out how to carve out a career in the hunting world.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:56 PM

Started hunting three years ago at 37 years old with a friend of mine that had been hunting for a year (with a couple years of tagging along) I always meant to get into earlier but never did
First year I got tag soup (missed a nice white tail buck last day of the seasons with a big case of. I know fever lol)
Second year got a real nice white tail buck
third year got a decent buck as well
Now I am hooked big time started shooting bow as well
(Might hunt bo season this year )

Impatiently waiting for draws tomorrow 😀