Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 10:27 AM

Default Fathers day rod and reel

I need a recommendation for a fly rod and reel for my dad for fathers day. Hes really keen on foshing for steelhead and pike bacl home in thunder bay. I was thinking an 8 wt but i dunno as ive never fished steelhead.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 10:51 AM

8wt would be good.

I don't know your budget but I'd suggest a redington Path or Vice 8wt rod with their Behemoth reel.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-04-2017, 12:22 PM

Wad thinking the behemoth reel. Ill check out the rods

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-04-2017, 12:31 PM

I'm an Ontarian, and have fished in Thunder Bay...but have also chased pike and steelhead here. Not sure how serious a pike fisherman he his, but big flies are the name of the game for big fish...and an 8wt. is a little on the light side. I'd suggest a 9', 9wt., fast-action for those things.

Great-Lakes steelhead are another story, a fast action is good with a little sensitivity in the tip for light leader/tippet protection. A 9'6", 8 wt. is a great rod on bigger rivers, a 9' if the rivers are a little smaller.

Reel~I'd say getting a good rod is way more important, but a good drag system is important for the steelhead mostly, pike runs (unless they're large, spirited fish) not so much. A friend of mine is a well-known fishing guide here in Ontario, he's used these for years to stop some of the biggest trout/salmon in Ontario. https://www.okumafishing.com/en/prod...-fly-reel.html I've since recommended them to a few guys I know looking to put together a budget set-up, and have heard nothing but rave reviews.

Hope this helps! A fast, 9' 8wt. would serve pretty well in both roles, but won't turn-over the big pike flies without a fight. I consider a 9wt. too heavy for all but the biggest steelhead.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:25 PM

6wt Echo Sr switch rod, (OFF has one on sale in calgary, smoking deal) I called the other day looking for a 4wt.

Reel ... cant go wrong with a lamson, but for the price the Cabelas in house brand RLS3 would be great for that rod too.

Depending on the size of the flies you are throwing you can just get a skagit line / or a scandi ... or just a switch line.

Just my two cents.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:00 PM

6wt is useless for steelhead and pike.

Don't know what your budget is but a 9ft 6in 8 or 9 weight sounds about right. I'm not convinced that a perfect drag system is required as long as you can palm the spool.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post

Don't know what your budget is but a 9ft 6in 8 or 9 weight sounds about right. I'm not convinced that a perfect drag system is required as long as you can palm the spool.
Not in a switch rod ... 6wt is the same rating as an 8 or 9wt single handed rod (depending on the brand) and spey casting can be easier on the arms getting those large pike flies out there.

Last edited by millsboy79; 06-04-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:

for pike and stillwater fishing, I agree about the drag.

for steelhead in rivers you're gonna want some stopping power

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 06-04-2017, 08:44 PM

Agree about the drag for stopping power.

Using a 6wt, be it switch or spey, for steelhead. in a medium to big river is not fair to the fish. Virtually all the experienced steelheaders, including myself, would go with an 8wt minimum.

Millsboy should take his 6wt out to the Skeena or Dean to see what we're talking about!
Old 06-04-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Agree about the drag for stopping power.

Using a 6wt, be it switch or spey, for steelhead. in a medium to big river is not fair to the fish. Virtually all the experienced steelheaders, including myself, would go with an 8wt minimum.

Millsboy should take his 6wt out to the Skeena or Dean to see what we're talking about!
Really? Most people i know fish 6/7 speys for summers on the Skeena. Thunder bay steelhead are runts comparatively.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:35 AM

I use a 6 weight Spey on summer steelys and a 7 weight Spey on winter steelys
And use a 8 weight Spey for chum and springs