Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2017, 10:22 AM
Banned

Default Canada facing a marijuana shortage with legalization?

The stuff one finds purusing one's morning news feeds!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-of-marijuana

Apparently there will be an initial shortage of legal marijuana when Canada legalizes it Canada Day of next year. Go figure!

On the other hand, the 800,000 sq. ft. grow op being built at the Edmonton International airport should be able to fill that gap when it goes into full production.

The times they are a'changing.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:03 AM
Banned

Lots of people know how to grow great weed at home. If it`s just for personal then 4-6 plants will do you fine. I`m not too worried.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Yes, the government figures there will be a shortage. Pretty sure there won't be.

Are they saying they expect a huge surge in the use of marijuana due to legalization? Pretty sure that anyone that wants to smoke pot now does.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Yes, the government figures there will be a shortage. Pretty sure there won't be.

Are they saying they expect a huge surge in the use of marijuana due to legalization? Pretty sure that anyone that wants to smoke pot now does.
I think they are referring to the legal kind, legally grown. Not the underground stuff.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
Lots of people know how to grow great weed at home. If it`s just for personal then 4-6 plants will do you fine. I`m not too worried.
That's true , people are allowed to make beer too , but how many do it , growing weed is not easy , need special tools and greenhouse to do it right , throwing into a pot and hoping it will grow usually fails.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:14 PM

A few of the Licensed Providers are already experiencing supply shortfalls, with the ramp up of medical licenses. A couple of them have stopped accepting new clients.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alta270 View Post
I think they are referring to the legal kind, legally grown. Not the underground stuff.
Don't worry. There will be lots of that legally grown crap around. Probably won't be able to give it away.
Old 06-23-2017, 01:17 PM

Maybe Canada can ask the fine folks at "Texas Border Patrol" to sell us the hundreds of bales of Mexican marijuana they confiscate every week. Could be a win win
Old 06-23-2017, 03:22 PM

Not likely, they are even building massive grow-ops in Olds (3 different Companies)and an expansion to the one in Cremona. Sundial switched from Cucumbers to Pot. I bet their will be an excess, if not right away soon after.
The only jobs left in the future will be low paying Bud picking until the robots take over.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:49 PM

Hmmm, so if too many food producers switch to growing pot...

...what will we eat when the muchies hit?

I predict an APOCALYPSE!

(or an "apotalypse", even...)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:50 PM

OMG A marijuana shortage? There goes half the NDP and Liberal votes in the next round of elections.

Seriously, if government runs it, it's going to be rationed and scarce and inefficient just like healthcare and post-secondary education. Reefer Madness will refer to the bureaucracy.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:41 PM

Is there a ground floor to buy in on this?

Seems like the next monsanto or some such. I made enough to buy beans from 3M, what can I make from what grows in a ditch?
Old 06-23-2017, 05:39 PM

Not around here. 2 facilities growing and a third in the works. Think there's a lot of over optimism at work in the Marijuana market.

Grizz
Old 06-23-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfBreed View Post
Is there a ground floor to buy in on this?

Seems like the next monsanto or some such. I made enough to buy beans from 3M, what can I make from what grows in a ditch?
Look into canopy growth.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:31 PM

Remember, this is a commodity. It is literally a weed and grows like one. That means lowest cost wins UNLESS you have a way of making your product sexy/edible/etc. Supply can crush prices down. Everyone wants to produce it and with technology, there will either be a focus of pure volume to drive down prices, or sexy products with great margins that will attract strong competition. Keep that in mind.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:34 AM
Banned

Default .

Aurora and Canopy growth stocks , will make you rich next july
Old 06-24-2017, 08:01 PM

Fair question. Will I be able to buy marijuana plants, along with my tomatoes and squash, at the local gardening center ?

Grizz
Old 06-24-2017, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Fair question. Will I be able to buy marijuana plants, along with my tomatoes and squash, at the local gardening center ?

Grizz
Probably not the garden centre, check the local farmers market.

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-24-2017, 11:00 PM
Banned

i think it was Colorado that was sold out in the first week and people turned to the black market. I really think people are under estimating how much pot is going to fly off the shelves when it is legal as many people don't like the illegal stigma that marijuana has at the moment. It makes those people paranoid because they are breaking the law and of coarse for those that it doesn't bother it's just another day. I will smoke it when it's legal to do so but I must say the liquor stores will be loosing a large profit from my pocket next year and years to come. I don't want it around my kid or wife so I won't be growing but I must say when I'm sitting by the camp fire after the day ends and lighting up a nice skunky tasting skud missile (legally) it will bring me great joy
Old 06-25-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
i think it was Colorado that was sold out in the first week and people turned to the black market. I really think people are under estimating how much pot is going to fly off the shelves when it is legal as many people don't like the illegal stigma that marijuana has at the moment. It makes those people paranoid because they are breaking the law and of coarse for those that it doesn't bother it's just another day. I will smoke it when it's legal to do so but I must say the liquor stores will be loosing a large profit from my pocket next year and years to come. I don't want it around my kid or wife so I won't be growing but I must say when I'm sitting by the camp fire after the day ends and lighting up a nice skunky tasting skud missile (legally) it will bring me great joy
Just like the release of a new electronic toy, people are going to line up , cause they have to have it, then it'll be another novelty past prime.

Grizz
Old 06-25-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Paranoid dope smokers, just can't get my melon 'round that one.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:45 AM

Shortage? hahaha.
Not a chance.

The Airport grow opp should be able to supply western Canada when it's up and running. How many other plants do they have on the go ?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.