Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 AM

Default Homestead "Public Rifle" Range Closed for the July Long Week-end

Homestead "Public Rifle" Range Closed for the July 2012 Long Week-end

Alberta Provincial Rifle Association (“A.P.R.A.”) "Public Rifle" Homestead Range

Will be closed June 29th till July 2nd 2012

Thanks for understanding - see the WEBSITE for the time when it will re-opened at www.albertarifle.com

Cheers
Joe B
Old 06-27-2012, 07:21 AM

Default Public place

is there an alternative public shooting range around calgary ?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:53 AM

Somedays I just hate public ranges.

I've belonged to so many that took my money and then wouldn't let me shoot there so many times during a year that it was hardly worth the price of admission.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-27-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Somedays I just hate public ranges.

I've belonged to so many that took my money and then wouldn't let me shoot there so many times during a year that it was hardly worth the price of admission.
In this case the "price of admission" is $0.00/year. I'm sure anyone who asks nicely can get a refund from the A.P.R.A for the inconvenience.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:00 AM

The more that I read about the issues that many Alberta ranges are experiencing, the more I appreciate my local range. The $200 per year membership that I pay, seems like a bargain for the facilities that we have.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 PM

So, after building all the big berms and etc into the BTSA range, they need to shut down the public range due to an IPSC shoot? Likely to get some parking space?This could be interesting.
There are a lot of people who don't read this forum.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:14 PM

Oh well, I will be in Invermere using their public 250 yard range with real benches that are covered! Hopefully the weather is decent as I want to shoot some skeet, trap and sport clays!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
So, after building all the big berms and etc into the BTSA range, they need to shut down the public range due to an IPSC shoot? Likely to get some parking space?This could be interesting.
There are a lot of people who don't read this forum.

How do you know there doing a IPSC shoot there? i looked online maybe i missed it.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 AM

Shows the shoot listed for the 30th on the APRA calendar
Old 06-28-2012, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The more that I read about the issues that many Alberta ranges are experiencing, the more I appreciate my local range. The $200 per year membership that I pay, seems like a bargain for the facilities that we have.
X2

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 AM

Under the current management the APRA has been in a bit of a downward spiral:

- $100 penalty for new members
- restricting access to range access for members unless they are in the in group
- unresolved financial issues with missing moneys
- getting rid of the core discipline on which the APRA was founded (military style shooting)
- likely loosing their range in Calgary due to generally screwing around with the City and not negotiating in good faith

In short they have been failing to promote the shooting sports to the general public and have been working towards making a private insiders only club. Now failing to uphold their obligation (under their lease with the Alberta Government) on one of the busiest weekends of the year?

They are currently trying to change their bylaws to further the goals of some to take the APRA further down the wrong road at this time. If you are an APRA member you might want to ask what they have been up to.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
Under the current management the APRA has been in a bit of a downward spiral:

- $100 penalty for new members
- restricting access to range access for members unless they are in the in group
- unresolved financial issues with missing moneys
- getting rid of the core discipline on which the APRA was founded (military style shooting)
- likely loosing their range in Calgary due to generally screwing around with the City and not negotiating in good faith

In short they have been failing to promote the shooting sports to the general public and have been working towards making a private insiders only club. Now failing to uphold their obligation (under their lease with the Alberta Government) on one of the busiest weekends of the year?

They are currently trying to change their bylaws to further the goals of some to take the APRA further down the wrong road at this time. If you are an APRA member you might want to ask what they have been up to.
Always tough to get a good capable executive in any volunteer organization. Seems you've got to take what you can get.

Grizz
Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
I'm not sure what the "lease obligation on one of the busiest weekends of the year" is.

Care to elaborate on what you're saying.

Is shooting at a public range on public land now taking the "back seat" to other recreation users using public land the area on a busy long weekend?

I hope they are not shutting down because of other heavy use in the area.
Promotion of shooting sports is sorely needed.

Jim
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 PM

The APRA has to provide the public range as part of their lease of the public land. The long weekend is one of the times when the public range is likely to busy. They are shutting it down this long weekend to use as parking for a non-public event in the pistol ranges.

One possible result of this will be lots of guys shooting into the woods, hills, etc... at any and maybe all pull outs along the length of the access road to the range area because they will have driven out there to shoot and found the range closed to them. It can be a gong show at the best of times on a long weekend along that road, this weekend might be extra special. There are hiking and other trails in the area and other users besides shooters, I would not be good if these uses conflict.