Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-24-2010, 09:40 AM
sheephunter

Default Powder Coat or Not

I've been running a somewhat unofficial poll as to what I should do with my new RMR 270WSM. My original plan was to powder coat the barrel and action in a dull cast iron colour but I have to say that the shine is really growing on me. What do you think....powder coat or not?

Old 08-24-2010, 10:08 AM

I would leave it, love the twisted bolt, that is one sharp looking rig!
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM

Personally I wouldn’t bother powder coating it. It looks good like it is, just a little shiny.
If you’re going to do anything, why not get the SS bead blasted to give it a little more of a dull non-glaring finish?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 08-24-2010, 10:28 AM

my cuz just got his tikka 7mm powder coated and man does it look unreal, as well as a muzzle break.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 AM

Sand blast it, or better yet, get it Cera coated.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:59 AM

Leave it, because it looks good as is,"dont Fix if it aint broke"
Old 08-24-2010, 11:45 AM

Default Leave it

I would leave it. I personally love the look of the dark flutes contrasting the shine of the stainless steel.
Might just be because of the fact that I own what appears to be the exact same rig in 300WSM though!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:20 PM

I vote leave it. It looks great!

P.S., nice sheep!
Old 08-24-2010, 12:28 PM
Banned

cerakote or something, thats pretty flashy, would be tough call, you want to humble things down a bit i like black with the tan/sand color stocks, get it matching the rings scope....if darker stock i like beadblasted stainless or the lighter pewter/grey coatings....i'm a contrasty that way, not a fan of the murdered out all black cars/black wheels/windows etc. dark cars flashy rims, light cars darker rims okay...cept yellow...don't dig the bumble bee look...go with flash or brushed/silver type...but thats just me....if your liking to show off a bit then leave it the way it is and hope your head still fits through doors etc.

nice rig, any specs, did you weigh it, how did you option choice list go?
Old 08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
nice rig, any specs, did you weigh it, how did you option choice list go?
6 pounds naked, Defiance Thinhorn action, .270WSM, #3 contour Pac-Nor barrel, Shilen Trigger set at 2.5 pounds, McMillan stock, Talley Lighweight rings and a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 with Rapid Z800.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Powder Coating is a finish I cannot warm up to. While affective it has a gloppy painted on look that is best reserved for the behind the seat truck gun. I will admit that when I first saw that rifle I immediately thought that shine had to go. But I don't mind it and if I did anything I would have a nice satin bead blast finish put on it. Be careful though. I have had rifles almost ruined by a poor blast job and repairing and re-polishing to fix it is EXPENSIVE. The coarser/duller the finish the worse it is to clean up things like grit and tape residue. Sometimes it is impossible to clean.

Bill Leeper is my recommendation for that satin finish. He does the best job I've ever seen.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-24-2010, 01:08 PM
sheephunter

Ya, I actually picked the rifle up before they were done with the build for my Dall hunt and now I'm glad I did. I must admit that I gasped a bit at the shiny finish when I first saw it but it's really growing on me. There's a couple ounces yet to lose in the bolt and action but I'm thinking the finish will stay. Now that it's got a few dings in it and big scrape in the bottom of the forstock where it ground across the rock it was resting on when I shot the sheep, it seems more like a mountain rifle. It's dfinitely not going back until the season is over! A little electrical tape on the barrel helps too

Last edited by sheephunter; 08-24-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM

I sent a rifle in for repair of something small after a few sheep hunts including a successful one. The stock was a McMillan hunters edge like yours and I was quite proud of the scratches in it. Imagine my horror when I took it out of the box and found that the stock had been nicely repainted.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-24-2010, 01:25 PM

TJ, I think it's too much stress for you, I'll take it off your hands for $1,000 . Then you can let me worry about whether it should be powder coated or not. For the record if you do sell it to me, I plan on leaving it au natural. Of course once I have it, I may have the same dilema as you. Oh the curses of being a gun nut.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Default RMR Powder Coat Rifle

Found a couple old pic's of Dad's powder coated, Snow Camo, RMR Rifle chambered in a 257 wby Mag.it's got a Fluted Gaillard barrel,brown precision or mcmillan stock?(cant remember) and the bolt handle is skelotoned.or chicken winged as I call it(lol).Korth took apart the scope which was also powder coated along with the bi-pod.Maybe it can give you somewhat of an idea of what your rifle will look like powder coated?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RMR 257 Wby Mag.jpg (107.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg RMR Powder Coat.jpg (128.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 08-24-2010, 02:06 PM

I love my Sako m75ss 300WM with the polished barrel and flutes teflon coated-all work done by Corlane's in 1997/98. Now my Sako m75 Greywolf 338-06 Ackley Improved is a sweet looking rifle too. Receiver, bolt handle, clip, barrel and rings are powdercoated the same color as the Leupold VX3 scope- Gunmetal metallic grey.

I'd say keep this rifle setup the way it is, and built another later powdercoated.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:11 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
I'd say keep this rifle setup the way it is, and built another later powdercoated.
Another one is already in the works!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Another one is already in the works!
Perfect, this is going to play right into my new to me 270wsm scheme.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
Perfect, this is going to play right into my new to me 270wsm scheme.
LOL...always good to have dreams.
Old 08-24-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...always good to have dreams.
A guy's gotta dream big
Old 08-24-2010, 05:14 PM

i had my barrel and action bead blasted by a member on here and i think it turned out awesome. It took the shine out so you couldnt spot me across the valley anymore. But im also a fan of the powder coating too either way i think youll be happy.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned

i've run bits to a shop off 40st/barlow country in calgary here with do it yourself beadblasting booth, in doing some parts for guns (stainless rings etc.) i wouldn't hesitate taking a barreled action in and doing whole thing myself...the dark flutes would be gone when i was done though , when doing this he mentioned a few guys would bring a bunch of barreled actions in and do em all at once etc., so we could be talking same outfit, if i could think of name i'd say it, there is also a member here who had offered to do some bits for me when i originally sourced this out...he may surface yet, he might have put a note in my homepage here....something i think i've only seen once....if thats even what its called? profile page maybe? effed if i know
Old 08-24-2010, 11:19 PM

Here's a Cerakote job ATRS did on my Rem 700P .308. (yes, its got a different stock on it)

I'm happy with the results