Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointer View Post
Are their prices the same as their flyers they send out or their candian web site is the price all jacked because its alberta?
Yes, I haven't gone in there yet so i can't really comment yet. However, i was just in Cabelas last thursday and Basspro on wednesday in the states and the prices there were phenomenal. I ended buying 3 pairs of boots. 2 upland cabelas for $200 and 1 pair of 2000g thinsulate for $108. upland wrangler, redhead, and cabelas pants for 19.99 and one other was 24.99.
Very cheap prices there in the states.

The issue here should be that when a company comes in from the US and provides some competition to local business, then the prices should reflect the ones that are currentl being offered in the states since they are the same company and NOT jack up the prices that are compared to the local business. Or really, is it because we live in Alberta?

I will be there Monday to compare prices!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNORTHERNSNIPER View Post
Well pal....... I have bought over $7000 dollars of HUNTING stuff from Cabela's Winnipeg and their U.S stores and they send me e mails and invites saying I am........a Very Important Person.. .....hence the title: VIP.
I can think of a few other things VIP can stand for....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy View Post
The issue here should be that when a company comes in from the US and provides some competition to local business, then the prices should reflect the ones that are currentl being offered in the states since they are the same company and NOT jack up the prices that are compared to the local business. Or really, is it because we live in Alberta?
I can tell you right now why that won't work. What is minimum wage in the US vs Alberta? If a employee is making 8$ an hour in the US because that is average wages, then according to your plan the SAME employee in Alberta would have to get paid $8 an hour otherwise if they paid the Alberta employee wages compareable to other stores say $16 an hour they would be loosing money just by paying their employees. They raise the prices because the cost of living is more. They are a business and businesses make $$. They can't make $$ if they spend it all paying their employees, there is no profit for them. And that dear sir is why your statement will NOT work.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaree View Post
I was there looking for Cz magazines at Cabelas and they had NONE. I was also looking for Primos shooting tripod stick and they have NONE. Luckily I went to Huntfest today and got the shooting sticks from there. Also, the WSS was sports was giving 10% discounts on all of their, optics, archery, knives, firearms and every thing they had was 10% off. No they were not selling firearms at huntfest but they were giving coupons for 10% off. Definitely some saving for up coming hunting season. They were also giving a rifle, a riflescope and 1000 dollar gift card on a draw basis.

oh yeah, guess what, how cheap Cabelas can get???? they send out a guy at north edmonton WSS and this guy was asking every customer going to WSS if they know how to get to Cabelas???? he was giving directions to Cabelas....now how do I know this, I live not too far from WSS....
Don't you work at WSS?
Old 08-06-2011, 09:18 PM

Cabellas is awsome,today when we were there they were handing out free hats and coats i got six. My two sons were handed coupons for 80% off any hunting rifles. I also won the free draw for the salmon fishing trips for life on the west coast everything supplied. When my feet got sore from walking through the store they carried me out to my truck. No this didnt really happen , but with all the bitching and moaning going on about this store u would think that this is how it should have been when the "VIP" passes were handed out. Its a hunting store. If you dont like the prices shop elsewhere.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:29 PM

I saw a whole aisle dedicated to bipods and shooting sticks, one selection was sold out but they're there!

I agree with most others, y'all are a bunch of whiners
Old 08-06-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck19 View Post
I mostly just went for the sake of checking things out, I thought it was super cool! Plus they have tons of womens camo, I'm happy. I got asked by 3 different people if I needed help too! Hundreds of people crammed into a store and I get better service there than WSS on a slow day.

Uh, it could have something to do with your looks and gender.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
I saw a whole aisle dedicated to bipods and shooting sticks, one selection was sold out but they're there!

I agree with most others, y'all are a bunch of whiners
How come theres more people whining about the whiners than there is whiners
Old 08-06-2011, 09:43 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
UH...because ...maybe everyone is tired of it?????.... some people here would B***ch if they're hung with a new rope.......
Old 08-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:
ya .... someone needs to call ....WHINE-1-1 ... for a WAAmbulance
Old 08-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOKgRwHfITg
Old 08-06-2011, 10:14 PM

whats to whine and complain about???
i suppose the negative people are to young to remember when we didn't even have a wss or a proper gun shop
we were stuck with the local sporting goods shop that jacked their prices 95% higher just because they could because the was no other place to shop, now look at all the huge hunting fishing sport shops whats to complain about , i think we are very fortunate to have these stores
Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
whats to whine and complain about???
i suppose the negative people are to young to remember when we didn't even have a wss or a proper gun shop
we were stuck with the local sporting goods shop that jacked their prices 95% higher just because they could because the was no other place to shop, now look at all the huge hunting fishing sport shops whats to complain about , i think we are very fortunate to have these stores
I have always shopped in smaller stores when i came here started shopping at the fishing hole and still do and bet i still get things cheaper then any of the big stores and get better service.Nothing against the big stores but don't need them
Old 08-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
I have always shopped in smaller stores when i came here started shopping at the fishing hole and still do and bet i still get things cheaper then any of the big stores and get better service.Nothing against the big stores but don't need them
I like shopping in all of the stores, big or small. When it comes to outdoor stores I dont think NEED really comes into it, but a lot of us want more selection. They probably all wouldn't survive but it wouldn't bother me at all if there were more outdoor stores. Every new outdoor store always seem to carry some product a bit different than the other guy.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
You don't have to shop around when you start with the best.......
Old 08-09-2011, 01:50 PM

I went with my 7 year old son last friday night. It was packed and i saw some good deals. I picked up a shwhack of pike flys that I know aren't available at TFH or WSS. My son was pretty impressed with all the stuffed critters to. Those polar bears were cool.

From a business perspective, I think in time once the honeymoon wears off there should be some good price wars between WSS and Cabela's. Watch for this to kick in during fall and xmas. Competition can be good for customers.

I will say this... from my own experience... what TFH may lack in the the big box store selection... they have proven to me they lead in experience, advice and local knowledge. I have had some great advice and talks with guys there.

Another good place I visit once a month is the Fishing Center on 82st. Great little place on the north end. I recently picked a nice Fenwick Pike Fly Rod that i had been looking for, a fist-full of trout flies, and then spent an hour talking to the owner and his son. Good down to earth folks.

Just my two cents... but right now in e-town... I think the needs of outdoorsmen are pretty well taken care of.

Jay