Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-28-2020, 09:22 PM

Default Positive Representation of hunting on social media

Obviously hunting on social media is a topic that has caused quite the stir over the past few years. To make a long story short, I feel that the passion and love for hunting and fishing needs to be shared in a manner that shows respect and ethics towards the game we chase.

I am a young bowhunter who is extremely passionate about the outdoors. Because of this, I have decided to start up an instagram page in which I can spread the shared passion with the hunting community. The page is brand new so bear with me, but if you have an instagram account and want to join in spreading hunting positivity then give me a follow. I could use some support from fellow AO members.

The account is Critical Instinct Outdoors.
Old 08-28-2020, 09:51 PM

Default Done

Following, bring on the game pics
Old 09-01-2020, 03:44 PM

I've long thought of what we could do as a PR campaign, and this is what I've come up with.

We all know of a sign or two that has been shot up by some trigger happy moron. If we were to offer to replace these signs, and get permission to also put up a sticker or other notification that the sign had been fixed by "Responsible Hunters of AB" (or some other positive sounding name) it would be a very public declaration of distance from the poachers and other assorted morons that the media likes to showcase. Make up an informative web page for said group and I think we could really educate some non' hunters.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:24 PM

Followed.

I think bushleagues suggestion is excellent.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I've long thought of what we could do as a PR campaign, and this is what I've come up with.

We all know of a sign or two that has been shot up by some trigger happy moron. If we were to offer to replace these signs, and get permission to also put up a sticker or other notification that the sign had been fixed by "Responsible Hunters of AB" (or some other positive sounding name) it would be a very public declaration of distance from the poachers and other assorted morons that the media likes to showcase. Make up an informative web page for said group and I think we could really educate some non' hunters.
This is good. And offers to help clean up crown land shooting areas etc.... Excellent sir!
Old 09-01-2020, 04:44 PM

Thumbs up Yes! Yes! Yes!

I would get onboard with this 100%. Is anyone gonna make the group? I could have a go at it if anyone has any ideas. My wife is in marketing
Old 09-01-2020, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxiD View Post
I would get onboard with this 100%. Is anyone gonna make the group? I could have a go at it if anyone has any ideas. My wife is in marketing
So I think the first step would be checking if replacing the signs would be permitted, and what we are allowed to do in the way of notification on said signs. The second step would be to figure out what kind of costs would be involved in procuring signs. At this point we would have an idea how viable the organisation is.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
So I think the first step would be checking if replacing the signs would be permitted, and what we are allowed to do in the way of notification on said signs. The second step would be to figure out what kind of costs would be involved in procuring signs. At this point we would have an idea how viable the organisation is.
Agreed. There would be a bit of research needed for that particular activity however, I dont think that a group trying to promote responsible hunters would necessarily need to limit themselves to that one mission.

Wildwood had a good idea of cleaning up crownland and notorious shooting areas. There are plenty of activities a group like that could undertake to promote responsible hunters
Old 09-01-2020, 06:33 PM

Aside from feeling sorry for the animals, most of what is seen by the non-hunting community, I am assuming, is photos of killed wildlife alone or with a person smiling behind a dead body or part of a body (head, for example). There is nothing wrong with that in my view, just like most of everyone else here, but others may probably see it differently.

I often write “behind the scenes” things on here, way before the animal hits the ground, if it does at all. For example, a post I made last week here and another one in the same thread yesterday. I had a similar thread running a couple of years ago through out the whole season. Last year, I had a thread called something like “a day in the bush” or “thread about nothing” or something of that sort. However, these type of threads hardly get much attention even here compared to the threads of successful hunts with long and short stories (some with no stories at all, just a pic or two).

Not sure how to express what I am trying to say, lol. Maybe hunting is not seen beyond the moment of a projectile hitting the animal and killing it? Something like that. Not as many people are going to be excited reading about a guy/gal hitting the bush or the mountains on the daily basis or even once a week. But many more are likely to be excited reading a short story of a successful hunt and seeing the pics of the “trophy”. I say “trophy” in a good hunting way, meaning a rack, meat, the adventure, the memory, etc. Others, however, may see that “trophy” as nothing more but a body of a killed animal. And I am not sure one can blame them for that. I mean that is all people see, literally. Who is going to educate themselves that hunting is way more than just pulling a trigger or sending an arrow?

People can generally distinguish between the pigs that throw garbage all over the place wherever they are, but many, and it is by far not all, probably don’t do so between those of us who hunt and those who shoot the signs, leave a bunch of shotgun shells in the middle of nowhere, mess up a perfectly good hill in the wildlife park with their quad or a sxs. It’s just the way it is.

I don’t know what the solution is. Posting more dead animals on Instagram is probably not it. I tried googling “critical instinct outdoors Instagram” and didn’t get any results with that name. There were some “killer instinct” and the like, however. Seems to me “critical instinct” will be indistinguishable from “killer instinct”. My thinking is it will be viewed the same.

The signs idea is better, IMO. Not sure how long the new ones will last though, lol, before someone will shoots it right in the “responsible hunters” sticker. Although, I am 100% positive they will not allow to put any notes/stickers on it. Not on the face, anyway. Who is going to look at the back, even it is allowed?

I try to clean up wherever I go scouting or hiking. Even when hunting, on the way out.

Not insisting to be right in my thinking at all. Just bring a perspective. In the meantime, I will try to continue the thread I started through out the season
Old 09-01-2020, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Aside from feeling sorry for the animals, most of what is seen by the non-hunting community, I am assuming, is photos of killed wildlife alone or with a person smiling behind a dead body or part of a body (head, for example). There is nothing wrong with that in my view, just like most of everyone else here, but others may probably see it differently.

I often write “behind the scenes” things on here, way before the animal hits the ground, if it does at all. For example, a post I made last week here and another one in the same thread yesterday. I had a similar thread running a couple of years ago through out the whole season. Last year, I had a thread called something like “a day in the bush” or “thread about nothing” or something of that sort. However, these type of threads hardly get much attention even here compared to the threads of successful hunts with long and short stories (some with no stories at all, just a pic or two).

Not sure how to express what I am trying to say, lol. Maybe hunting is not seen beyond the moment of a projectile hitting the animal and killing it? Something like that. Not as many people are going to be excited reading about a guy/gal hitting the bush or the mountains on the daily basis or even once a week. But many more are likely to be excited reading a short story of a successful hunt and seeing the pics of the “trophy”. I say “trophy” in a good hunting way, meaning a rack, meat, the adventure, the memory, etc. Others, however, may see that “trophy” as nothing more but a body of a killed animal. And I am not sure one can blame them for that. I mean that is all people see, literally. Who is going to educate themselves that hunting is way more than just pulling a trigger or sending an arrow?

People can generally distinguish between the pigs that throw garbage all over the place wherever they are, but many, and it is by far not all, probably don’t do so between those of us who hunt and those who shoot the signs, leave a bunch of shotgun shells in the middle of nowhere, mess up a perfectly good hill in the wildlife park with their quad or a sxs. It’s just the way it is.

I don’t know what the solution is. Posting more dead animals on Instagram is probably not it. I tried googling “critical instinct outdoors Instagram” and didn’t get any results with that name. There were some “killer instinct” and the like, however. Seems to me “critical instinct” will be indistinguishable from “killer instinct”. My thinking is it will be viewed the same.

The signs idea is better, IMO. Not sure how long the new ones will last though, lol, before someone will shoots it right in the “responsible hunters” sticker. Although, I am 100% positive they will not allow to put any notes/stickers on it. Not on the face, anyway. Who is going to look at the back, even it is allowed?

I try to clean up wherever I go scouting or hiking. Even when hunting, on the way out.

Not insisting to be right in my thinking at all. Just bring a perspective. In the meantime, I will try to continue the thread I started through out the season
The hunting fraturnity includes many individuals. Some upstanding citizens, but also many undesirables that have decided hunting is "cool". The best we can try and do is educate the nubee's, unfortunately some hunters could care less, as long as they kill something. A lot view the kill as a sign of their worth in others eyes.

Thomas Sowell