Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 07:24 PM

Default Coyote hunting with kid, Calgary. Looking for support/advice not your spot

My seven year old soon has had a interest in hunting (likes guns and knifes). We have been out a couple weeks in a row long drives and well no luck, I am not expecting much to begin with other than outside, hanging with him and getting him away from the house. I am wondering do most hit up crown land or private. We tried both unfortunately the crown that i know that had some slashes places if I was coyote I would frequent. No luck and no tracks other than all the horses we seen. Tiny private land I have access, long drive, basically a few spots to set up and call and that’s it, which we did and nothing but WT deer. What do you do for those that don’t have access to land, crown? Or try and secure some private land? With the lovely COVID, I don’t suspect people want me and my son knocking on doors for access? Just looking for some advice, anyone in same situation and what did you do. I don’t want him to lose the interest but with the long drives and limited calling we have done, I am afraid the tablet will be more fun. Thanks for any advice and info.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:44 AM

had some slashes places if I was coyote I would frequent.

Better rethink that. Way more coyotes on private land than in the sticks.

Grizz
Old 01-19-2021, 08:49 AM

Good habitat is always first, with the warm weather we have been having in the south there is still lots of mice and other food sources available in AG fields and pastures for them, if you can find a nice open spot with good sight lines and an open area downwind where you can see dogs coming in that’s where I’d give it a go. Close to cattle ranches and active farmsteads/ ranches helps as well.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:56 AM

With all this warm weather lately calling has been rough. New land is never a bad idea and I doubt you will get a lot of flack from farmers covid wise if you go and ask. Just don't give them a hug and a kiss haha.
Another tip to maximise success is go right after big weather events. When the barometer drops coyotes tend to lay low until the weather passes but when it rises and gets nice they are hungry and out looking for food.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 01-19-2021, 08:57 AM

Get on Google maps. Find areas that have coyote country within your driving radius. Coyotes like broken land, they love creek bottoms with agricultural land near by. They love hanging around feed lots and other places cattle are fed in the winter. Any brushy cover near cattle or agricultural land really. Then get yourself a county map and identify who owns that land.

You are right in that a personal visit might not be welcome, times being what they are. Phone the landowner and explain that you would usually be showing up at his door but that given the times you thought a phone call might be more appropriate. Tell him you would certainly come out for a face to face if that is what he would desire. Explain to him what you are after, be respectful, if the answer is no, ask if he knows of anyone else is having coyote problems. After the hunt, call the landowner, thank him for hosting you and share your success or lack there of, it goes a long way.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-19-2021, 09:21 AM

Knock on doors and keep asking because you are only as successful as the spots you call.My experience is people who see-meet you are more willing to grant access as opposed to a phone call from a stranger.Took a young lad out to get his first coyote the other day and looking forward to giving him a cheque after his fur sells.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:37 PM

Wear a mask when you go to door, landowner will appreciate the respect you are showing him and his family.