Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-13-2019, 06:34 AM

Default Someone just stole my catalytic converters

Start the car and sounds kinda loud go out side and saw some smoke coming from under the car
Old 12-13-2019, 06:44 AM

https://globalnews.ca/news/6283826/e...erters-thefts/

You're not alone. Bloody thieves
Old 12-13-2019, 06:48 AM

How does a thief even crawl under some of those lower vehicles to remove the converter? If I saw someone jack my vehicle up, and crawl under it, I know exactly what I would do.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:55 AM

Pics and video does not seem to do much for getting thieves off the street either

I know this much if I catch someone under my truck I am not going to attempt a photo op. Clearly thieves don’t fear our legal system
Old 12-13-2019, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Pics and video does not seem to do much for getting thieves off the street either
They never do, they just allow you to watch the theft after the fact unless you have one that alerts you that someone is in your driveway, they you either take matters into your own hands or hope the police have impeccable response time, you gonna get stabbed or shot over a cat? I would risk it on principle alone.

My truck should be a beacon for these scumbags, 7" lift and 35" tires, working under that thing is a real treat, nothing but space to work. But my cat's have been hollowed out when they plugged up, maybe I should use a paint pen and write "hollowed out" on them?

I'm lucky and don't ever have to park it in ominous places or I'm sure they would be long gone. Might be a good time to cut them out and just straight pipe it, save myself some potential agervation.

If I did catch someone under there he's gonna have a REALLY bad day.

Me & 3 friends caught someone inside my X's truck at 3 am when we were returning from the bar many years ago. He was rehabilitated on the spot and shown the errors of his ways. Was a little worried he would return for some vengeance but he never did. It was the best night ever!
Old 12-13-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
How does a thief even crawl under some of those lower vehicles to remove the converter? If I saw someone jack my vehicle up, and crawl under it, I know exactly what I would do.
I drive a suv , from the imprints on the snow lookis like a skinny person with size 9/10 boots

On the side note. Is it ok to drive it with out the cat for a few days ??
Old 12-13-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
Technically yes, but I wouldn't recommend it as the exhaust fumes will end up inside the cab, especially during idling, and sometimes even during driving (Depending on the exhaust design).
Old 12-13-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Technically yes, but I wouldn't recommend it as the exhaust fumes will end up inside the cab, especially during idling, and sometimes even during driving (Depending on the exhaust design).
So let me get this correct, if somebody steals my catalytic, then they would be charged with stealing and attempted murder,
Old 12-13-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
I drive a suv , from the imprints on the snow lookis like a skinny person with size 9/10 boots

Other than confusing the computer, it probably won't hurt the engine. I would make sure that the remaining exhaust tubing is supported properly though.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:29 AM

The cats like batteries are sold to scrap dealers why don't the cops clamp down on the sale of these items to the dealers?

Make it like pawnshops in the states when you sell or pawn an item you need ID and leave a fingerprint.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Simple, go on the meth diet and you can slip under any rice rocket in no time.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:47 AM
Banned

If you see legs under your vehicle just drive over them a few times. Or a steel toe boot to the genital areas but like your were kicking a field goal for a million bucks
Old 12-13-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
If you see legs under your vehicle just drive over them a few times. Or a steel toe boot to the genital areas but like your were kicking a field goal for a million bucks
I would not notice any legs sticking out from under the vehicle, I would start the vehicle and drive off, without delay. My official statement would be that I only noticed the thief when I felt the tires go over something.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:48 AM

300+ thefts since start of October. They've realized they don't even have to steal your vehicle now for some meth/fet money. Just steal a couple cats and get on with it.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:49 AM
Banned

Friend of mine had his converter hacked off on a work van. Marda loop area.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Let the jack down on them?
Old 12-13-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Let the jack down on them?
Hydraulic jacks have been known to leak down a bit. If the jack was to settle just enough that they became trapped under the vehicle, long enough for the police to arrive, it wouldn't be a bad thing.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Hydraulic jacks have been known to leak down a bit. If the jack was to settle just enough that they became trapped under the vehicle, long enough for the police to arrive, it wouldn't be a bad thing.
You have to think outside the box. The jack has to come down hard and then that just saved the taxpayers a pile of money.
Old 12-13-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Tough to change the oil without ramps ????

Grizz
Old 12-13-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
ive been told they jack the one side up or even strap over the top and pull them half way over and cut them out with a chop saw. Might take them 2 minutes and they can fetch up to $300 for the right ones.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:24 PM

The thieves are just marginalized and don’t feel welcome. It is Donald Trump and Stephen Harpers fault for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I came to Ottawa with the firm belief that the only people in this country who should have guns are police officers and soldiers."

— Allan Rock, Canada's Minister of Justice
Maclean's "Taking aim on guns", 1994 April 25, Vol.107 Issue 17, page 12.

"... protection of life is NOT a legitimate use for a firearm in this country sir! Not! That is expressly ruled out!".

— Justice Minister Allan Rock
Old 12-13-2019, 03:40 PM

Thinking outside of the box....

My uncle used to have live wires hooked up to the wheels of his truck so if a dog took a pee on the tires they would get a good enough shock they would never do it again. He had a toggle switch that he could turn on or off. Just turn it on when parked.
My suggestion is hook some live wires up to the catalytic converters similar to the shock a tazer would give. Even wires on the converters that if cut sound off an alarm that breaks eardrums.

Another method could be to have a dye pack under the vehicle that discharges if the converters are removed.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-13-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Thinking outside of the box....

My uncle used to have live wires hooked up to the wheels of his truck so if a dog took a pee on the tires they would get a good enough shock they would never do it again. He had a toggle switch that he could turn on or off. Just turn it on when parked.
My suggestion is hook some live wires up to the catalytic converters similar to the shock a tazer would give. Even wires on the converters that if cut sound off an alarm that breaks eardrums.

Another method could be to have a dye pack under the vehicle that discharges if the converters are removed.
Claymore. You would just hear a bang, walk out to find a large fan shaped sprayed red driveway and a couple shoes 10-15 feet away.

If you video taped it and put it on the internet, this catalytic converter thievery would drop by 90% overnight.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Claymore. You would just hear a bang, walk out to find a large fan shaped sprayed red driveway and a couple shoes 10-15 feet away.

If you video taped it and put it on the internet, this catalytic converter thievery would drop by 90% overnight.
My man! Brother from another mother!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-13-2019, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Find a cat, hide a Claymore in it, arrange a sale with one of the travelling buyers, and set the timer. Turn a few of the buyers into a red mist and it will put 100's of sellers on the sidelines.

Gerry Burnie