Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-16-2013, 07:27 PM

Default Personal gun range on own property

My husband and I just got our R-Pals and we were wondering about setting up our own personal gun range on our property.
We have 40 acres north of Edmonton. Does anyone know of any restrictions for doing this or how to go about it? What are the physical requirements, such as the berms required etc?
Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:33 PM

If you intend to shoot restricted weapons, you are going to need to have your range approved. In order to get it approved, it must meet the template for the intended use, which describes the berm heights,distances,etc. You are also going to need to have a plan to reclaim your projectiles, so as not to damage the environment. In short, it is going to be expensive, if even possible in your location. Contact the CFO, and he can provide the details.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:53 PM

Wondering if non-restricted is the same as described above?
Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 AM

If you are planning on shooting nonrestricted, I would go to the RM office and ask if they have any restrictions. A trip to the copshop wouldn't hurt. Plan out ahead of time where you want to put it. Things like adequate back stop and a direction with no dwellings for miles. Maybe talk to your neighbours as well, Good shooting.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:57 AM

You have a far better chance of being struck by lightening then getting your range qualfied to shoot restricted.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
You have a far better chance of being struck by lightening then getting your range qualfied to shoot restricted.
That's positive help.

Call the CFO.....

Alberta Chief Firearms Officer
Suite 720, 10909 Jasper Avenue
Edmonton, AB T5J 3L9
Tel: (780) 495-7799
Fax: (780) 495-7970

they are the ones that give approval for range operation. Not sure if they have a published "range guideline" but they will be the ones who put the approval stamp on what you build.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biounlimited View Post
That's positive help.
Maybe not positive, but likely very realistic. Even if they do get approval for a restricted range, I would hate to think what that is going to do to their insurance rate!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:31 PM

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f..._cible-eng.htm

Also you will require a development permit from your MD or county.

Expect the full dog and pony show from all involved.
Good luck

There are no absolutes
Old 06-17-2013, 12:43 PM

Sure it's highly unlikely to happen, but it's 100% sure not going to happen if you don't try.
Old 06-17-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Maybe not positive, but likely very realistic. Even if they do get approval for a restricted range, I would hate to think what that is going to do to their insurance rate!

ARG
As far as insurance goes,
"Each individual, or each individual member of an NFA insured club, is covered for:
◦Legal hunting activities
◦Legal bowhunting activities
◦Legal range shooting activities
◦Legal range archery activities
◦Legal fishing activities
◦Legal re-enactment activities"

$9.95 per year............
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM

Belonging to established ranges over the years has been nothing but a dog and pony show. And its getting worse.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biounlimited View Post
As far as insurance goes,
"Each individual, or each individual member of an NFA insured club, is covered for:
◦Legal hunting activities
◦Legal bowhunting activities
◦Legal range shooting activities
◦Legal range archery activities
◦Legal fishing activities
◦Legal re-enactment activities"

$9.95 per year............
But does that cover the $2,000,000 liability insurance that owner of the range needs?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 PM

Does anyone know of a private and personal range in Alberta that is approved for restricted use like the OP is asking about?
Old 06-17-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know of a private and personal range in Alberta that is approved for restricted use like the OP is asking about?
Yes.
But I'm un sure if said individual wants to go public.

There are no absolutes
Old 06-17-2013, 04:30 PM

I've got 2 million liability on my car insurance for cheap.

Driving is far more dangerous that shooting at an approved range - I'll bet the insurance costs them next to nothing IF they get it approved.

Good luck to them - if I had the money, land and time I'd do the same. Short on all three counts though.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarliesDonkey View Post
I've got 2 million liability on my car insurance for cheap.

Driving is far more dangerous that shooting at an approved range - I'll bet the insurance costs them next to nothing IF they get it approved.

Good luck to them - if I had the money, land and time I'd do the same. Short on all three counts though.
Sorry but I disagree with the idea of getting cheap insurance , however the big problem is going to be getting approved . Like all others on here I am wishing you luck in your endeavor but be ready for the disappointment . Too bad use of a restricted weapon is so hard .
Old 06-17-2013, 05:33 PM

Getting approved and land clean up are two big obstacles.

Its not like u can set up a dirt hill and fire away.

Inquire with the CFO office. In person if u can. That will tell you a lot.

I hope you get it
Old 06-17-2013, 06:35 PM

Holy heck there's a lot of negative folks on here today.

1. Is there current Canadian CFO system a PITA: Yes.
2. Is it possible to have a private or semi-private gun range in this province: Yes, there is precedent.

We all complain about how restrictive gun laws are, but then there's people like this who want to invest money and time into making it better... and they get discouraged at all the negativity. Anybody who shares the passion for shooting who wants to advance the sport in Canada should be helped whenever possible!!
Old 06-17-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post

2. Is it possible to have a private or semi-private gun range in this province: Yes, there is precedent.

We all complain about how restrictive gun laws are, but then there's people like this who want to invest money and time into making it better... and they get discouraged at all the negativity. Anybody who shares the passion for shooting who wants to advance the sport in Canada should be helped whenever possible!!
x2
Old 06-17-2013, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Personal Range

I'm amazed on the responses on this, never thought it would be so complicated to get a range going on your own property, but a lot of the responses make perfect sense and the same goes for the recommendations. Better safe than sorry I guess and it pays to be legit.

Will be interested to find out more about this, so Sue, please post your findings once you really look into this as I'm sure there are other people wondering on how to go about this as well!

This forum is awesome!

Cheers!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post

I don't think there really are a lot of negative comments here , everybody is wishing the OP the best . We just all know what an uphill battle he faces and hope he is realistic .
Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Spoke to a fellow east of Calgary, fall of 2012. I was out looking to scare up a partridge. Anyway, he was comming out a locked gate, as I drove up to it and went to turn around. We ended up chatting for about an hour.

Reason for the locked gate was restricted range. He jumped through hoops all over the place, C.F.O., the M.D. etc. Don't recall all the details, but a private restricted range can happen!

Good luck!
Old 06-23-2013, 11:28 PM

Thanks for all the help. And we realize this is going to be an uphill battle and appreciate all feedback.
We think it's too bad that you can shoot your non-restricted on your property but it's not the same with restricted. A target is a target. It shouldn't matter what bullet hits it. But we want to do this the right way and that's why we came here for advice and suggestions from any who might already know.
Like some of the suggestions say we are going to start with contacting the CFO and MD. As we go along we'll share our findings for any who might be interested.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:40 AM
Banned

Can't see it happening.... thats a pretty small chunk of land for a range if you have neighbours, a road etc etc and a hundred different considerations.

I'd wager that you'll go broke before you make an area that size safe enough to get approval.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Banned

If you control the trajectory of the projectile leaving the muzzle you will be successful.
Noise would be the next concern.
I believe you will be successful if you want it.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:55 AM

Little update
The deal on the 40 acres north of Edmonton fell through, but that was a blessing in disguise.
Last fall we purchased 87 acres west of Grande Prairie near Hythe. So we now have more room. We have been shooting our rifles on the property in an area we set up.
Looking for info on a private range to shoot restricted is an uphill battle. Now that we are farther away from the CFO in Edmonton a face to face isn't probably going to happen.
Anyone we talk to up here as a different answer than the next person.
But we are still wanting to do it, we just now have a lot of work to do with the fixer-upper we bought.

For now we shoot rifles here and have joined the Valleyview Gun Club and hope to check out the GP one soon too.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:16 AM

Default Private range

A friend of mine got his restricted private range licenced last summer and I spoke to the CFO"S office twice about getting a range approved on my property and I have to set up a meeting with the inspector and he will go over the site and inform me what is required. An will provide details on what Id have to do. When I met him and spoke about our location and layout he said there should be no problem in making things work.
Everyone said it would never happen but if you don't go out and talk to the people yourself you don't know really what's the truth.
Next spring I plan on setting up a meeting and see what's required.
When the friend of mine talked to many people about his own restricted range everyone said impossible well I can tell you its possible.
sst
Old 05-22-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotom View Post
A friend of mine got his restricted private range licenced last summer and I spoke to the CFO"S office twice about getting a range approved on my property and I have to set up a meeting with the inspector and he will go over the site and inform me what is required. An will provide details on what Id have to do. When I met him and spoke about our location and layout he said there should be no problem in making things work.
Everyone said it would never happen but if you don't go out and talk to the people yourself you don't know really what's the truth.
Next spring I plan on setting up a meeting and see what's required.
When the friend of mine talked to many people about his own restricted range everyone said impossible well I can tell you its possible.
sst
That is awesome! Where are you located? Just general area...don't want you to give away a range location lol

Last edited by simplysue; 05-22-2014 at 11:19 AM. Reason: missed something
Old 05-22-2014, 11:31 AM

Just a thought...

Are you really looking to start up a "range"? Are you just wanting to shoot your restricted on your property? Is there a difference?

If your restricted weapons are registered to your location it is not just the building but also the land around it. You can sit outside your house at your picnic table and clean your guns so the question is can you shoot them?

The ATT is just for transport of the guns. If you aren't going anywhere with them is it even an issue involving the CFO?

Just something to ponder around the firepit in your back yard.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 05-22-2014, 11:43 AM

My understanding is that restricted Firearms can only be fired at a licenced registered range.
In the early 80's I built my house on what we used as a range even turned it so we could shoot out the basement window.
When laws got more known in the 90's I then asked the register at K division if I was legal. Shooting out of my house down a range....we were competitive shooters and shot almost everyday .... The answer then was I was opening a can of worms.. My understanding of the law was you could not discharge a restricted weapon outside your house at that time, and said nothing about firing it inside your house.. I'm sure they now closed that loop hole...
sst