Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-10-2018, 09:56 PM

Default Training incident at Wainwright?

Just noticing a medicac Blackhawk enroute from Wainwright to the U of A Hospital. Could be a plethora of things but I would imagine anything minor would be handled on base. With the excercises ongoing, curious if they had an incident of some sort. Hope all is okay.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:16 AM

Nothing major from my understanding. Landed at the Alex.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-11-2018, 09:10 AM

Default Training incident at Wainwright?

I think it’s the Maple Resolve training exercise. The Americans land the blackhawks at all of the major hospital helipads. Last year I seen them come in and out of Edmonton a couple times in one night to UofA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2018, 10:20 AM

Trading is just a good guess as any, it would seem a prudent way to get the pilots trained on flying to locations they've never previously flown to while under simulated duress (stopwatch). Of course it will be good to have those pilots familiarized with the route in the event there really was a training incident. I always love seeing military choppers, I can recall the G8 in Kananaskis and seeing a group of Blackhawks flying right over me, quite possibly with Bush in one of them.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Trading is just a good guess as any, it would seem a prudent way to get the pilots trained on flying to locations they've never previously flown to while under simulated duress (stopwatch). Of course it will be good to have those pilots familiarized with the route in the event there really was a training incident. I always love seeing military choppers, I can recall the G8 in Kananaskis and seeing a group of Blackhawks flying right over me, quite possibly with Bush in one of them.
Wouldn't have been training with the medivac designation, that's a big no-no.

When I worked in Abbotsford, we had them flying the border periodically low level. Had to call us as the border is well within the control zone, basically 2 nm south of the airport. Never did figure out if they were reserve out of Fort Lewis maybe, or if homeland or border patrol had their own H60's based somewhere up there.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Nothing major from my understanding. Landed at the Alex.
That's good to hear. He was tagged up as heading to the UofA, but they'll quite often just get a tag thrown on them for anything downtown and his track did look more towards north Edmonton. I was just leaving so didn't stick around to see, glad it wasn't anything more serious.
Old 05-11-2018, 01:45 PM

I know the US is all about Medivacs and making sure the pilots and crews know where to go.
I have no doubt their Medivac choppers were going to the hospitals to become familiar with the routes pass and the procedures at each place.
Better to be prepared.

One exercise we were briefed that our Ambulances were not sufficient to be on the range. We required a proper ambulance along with air medivac.
For the week and half training we had American Medics with their ambulance in the field with us and their helicopters were on 5 mins to move status 24hrs a day.
They said no matter what the help comes even for a sprained finger.
Their base, their rules and our safety.