Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Default Rem 700 to 45-70

Hi, Guys.

There's a fellow down in the states who's making 45-70 bolt guns out of Rem 700's with a .473 or larger bolt face.

I want one of these with a powerful, powerful need, but I'm not interested in dealing with the feces involved in bringing one up from the US.

Who do you all recommend I speak to here in Canada to get this done?

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 08-15-2018, 04:47 PM

They already make one and have the feeding isssues solved and can be hot loaded . It can be seen in the catalog as 458 Winchester
Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 PM

Default Hmm

Very nice.

So pretty much, get hold of one of these and any gunsmith should be able to solve the feeding problem?

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Old 08-15-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirty-30 View Post
Very nice.

So pretty much, get hold of one of these and any gunsmith should be able to solve the feeding problem?
I think he was alluding to the fact that a .458 win will do everything you want and more. No need to rechamber a rifle.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-15-2018, 07:08 PM

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu....cfm?gun_id=10

Here's one all ready to go, a quick search didn't show one in Canada but I'm sure they're around. A Winchester model 70 in 458Win is one of my many dream rifles... lol
Old 08-15-2018, 07:23 PM

Ahh.

I'm very specifically looking for a 45-70 as it's been my choice hunting caliber for many years, and I have several loads I am devoted to.

My eyes are not what they used to be, and I do not want to simply scope an 1895. I would like to do a bolt gun build.

Old 08-15-2018, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Ahh.

I'm very specifically looking for a 45-70 as it's been my choice hunting caliber for many years, and I have several loads I am devoted to.

My eyes are not what they used to be, and I do not want to simply scope an 1895. I would like to do a bolt gun build.

In Canada I would look for a Siamese Mauser.

I found one at a gun show and it will always be a keeper.

It's built on a commercial mauser action and has a Douglas premium barrel. Magazine fed with control round feed.
The bolt face was in larged to accommodate the 45-70 case. Works beautifully with mild to screaming hot loads.
If you'd like pictures or more details on one.
Give me a private message and I'm happy to show what it's like. More importantly what to look for.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 08-15-2018, 08:56 PM

I was being a bit of a smart ass . But the feeding issue is real . the rims on the 45-70 cause issue if not stacked properly. I have had 3 45-70 and it is a nice cartridge . A shilo-sharps , a Ruger # 1 and a Winchester 1886.

I am serious about if you want a bolt buy a 458 Winchester mag and be done
Old 08-16-2018, 07:15 AM

Default or

The .458 x2" American fits a short action and any standard magnum brass can be shortened and used.This is where marlin got their ".450 idea" simply moving the belt to make other mag cartridge use impossible.The smith who alters a Siamese mauser needs to know what he is doing to get the 45-70 to feed properly but it's been done many times.Kits available for the Lee Enfield 45-70 or 45-90 in Canada.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:24 AM

I built a 450 marlin on a Ruger m 77 Short action ,Worked great . A fella from the Yukon knew I had it and now owns it. I still have the reamer
Old 08-16-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Hi, Guys.

There's a fellow down in the states who's making 45-70 bolt guns out of Rem 700's with a .473 or larger bolt face.

I want one of these with a powerful, powerful need, but I'm not interested in dealing with the feces involved in bringing one up from the US.

Who do you all recommend I speak to here in Canada to get this done?
Not sure how much "feces" you're prepared to deal with, but Clay @ Prophet River will import stuff from the US for you, it' a very...very easy process. I had him bring in a shotgun barrel from the US=no problem. He'll give you the details, but basically (if it happens the same way now) you buy your item, have it shipped to a gun shop in Montana Clay will give you the info on...and he'll import it from there for you, then ship to you. Fees are very fair too.

Just a thought. My needs are satisfied by things I can find on this side of the border 99% of the time, but sometimes you need to look south. I wouldn't let the importation process put you off, Clay will walk you through it.
Old 08-17-2018, 04:29 AM

^
Old 11-26-2018, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Not sure how much "feces" you're prepared to deal with, but Clay @ Prophet River will import stuff from the US for you, it' a very...very easy process. I had him bring in a shotgun barrel from the US=no problem. He'll give you the details, but basically (if it happens the same way now) you buy your item, have it shipped to a gun shop in Montana Clay will give you the info on...and he'll import it from there for you, then ship to you. Fees are very fair too.

Just a thought. My needs are satisfied by things I can find on this side of the border 99% of the time, but sometimes you need to look south. I wouldn't let the importation process put you off, Clay will walk you through it.
Extremely belatedly (I had surgery and it's taken me months to recover)

Thanks guys.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:13 AM

Contact I Run Guns and they can bring it in for you hassle free and for a small fee.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:56 AM

Zastave makes new 458 Win for about $700. They come in RH and LH actions. That would be where I started. The 458 can easily be downloaded to 45-70 performance levels.

IF you REALLY want a 45-70, have a good smith up here re-chamber the barrel. any good smith can make the 458 bolt, which has a rim diameter of .532, work with the 45-70 rim, which measures .608. The 458 head spaces on the Belt, the 45-70 on the rim.

The biggest issue with bolt actions firing rimmed cartridges is proper loading of the mag to ensure smooth feeding but the Mauser handles this better than the Rem 700 will. There were a number of rimmed cartridges used in Mauser actions over the years. The suggestion to find a Siamese Mauser for making into a 45-0 is very good advice, if you can actually find one.