Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Magnum Gun Store in Lloydminster

Had heard and posted before that it was closing. Looks like its confirmed now. Drove into the city this afternoon and there was a real estate sign and two large banners says "Liquidation, Going out of business"
Never happy to see a firearm store shut the doors.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:28 PM

No doubt. I enjoyed checking them out when I was in town. Sad to see them go.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:43 PM

Was in the shop a couple times. Neat little store. Sad to see a small shop go under.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:50 PM
Banned

It might have done better in another town, if Prophet River is your direct competition you'll have a heck of a time competing. Clay runs a tight ship and has earned a reputation as being one of, if not the best gun shop around this part of the country. Too bad.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:51 PM

Friendly group usually! Hard to compete in the age of online sale with out any. Let the amount of shops in the area. Sad to see them go.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:49 AM

I was in there yesterday (tuesday) looking for some reloading supplies and they had just gotten the word on Monday and their banners on Tuesday.

For a while it was nice to have a choice of sporting goods stores.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
It might have done better in another town, if Prophet River is your direct competition you'll have a heck of a time competing. Clay runs a tight ship and has earned a reputation as being one of, if not the best gun shop around this part of the country. Too bad.
Exactly! A small city, and Prophet River for competition made it tough for the other stores to compete.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
hopefully clay doesn't retire anytime too soon.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:24 PM

I stopped in earlier today on the way out of town. Quite a bit of stuff at 10% off. So, nothing to great yet, they are a bit more than some store to start, so, 10% means ne great bargains(yet) . I'll be back in a couple weeks and will check in again then.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:51 AM

Always hate to see a gun shop close its doors but the writing has been on the wall for a while now at Magnum, not enough population in and around Lloydminster to support 5 gun shops, and if you don't sell online like Prophet river it just makes it harder, Cdn Tire is a large box store and it's hard to compete with volume buying, Shepp has been around for 50 years and has his loyal customers and this area is still in a recession so the economy plays into it also, when you add it all up it's not a huge surprise, they are at 10% off now which just makes their price the same as everyone else in town, so if anyone has an extra $1.2 million kicking around you can own a gun shop c/w inventory right here in the heart of the border city.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 AM

Thumbs down

That's too bad, I respect and like the owners and appreciated the store. When I backed off on hunting and went far more into fishing I of course spent less there but it is always nice having selection in a small town. They will be missed for sure.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-17-2018, 11:48 AM

Default Magnum's closing isn't just a blow to getting supplies

Magnum supported local shooting sports, they put on bring a friend day supplying the ammunition to promote pistol shooting my guest applied for RPAL in the following weeks.
Magnum donated to outdoor and indoor range improvements the new target retrieval system is a vast improvement over what we had before.