Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:28 AM
Stryker2's Avatar
Stryker2 Stryker2 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 428
Default Caroline Stream Fishing?

I'm going to Rocky Mountain House/ Caroline area Fly fishing some of the small lakes on a camping trip for a couple of weeks. I was wondering what streams we could try fishing in the area? I know there is the Raven and Stauffer which sound difficult to fish... We mostly fish lakes but would like to try stream fishing as a new experience. We have the Alberta Backroads map on my GPS. Any recommendations, advice, etc would be helpful and welcome. Stay away from bears with cubs yes... carry bear spray yes...
__________________
"I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself "
~Joseph Monniger
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-31-2018, 12:25 PM
Red Bullets's Avatar
Red Bullets Red Bullets is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: central Alberta
Posts: 8,986
Default

I enjoy fishing the red deer river between Sundre and Glennifer lake. Bulls, browns and brookies. Where other rivers enter the Red Deer river is usually good. Where the James river or the Raven enter the red deer are only a 10 or so minute walk from where you can park.
__________________
Origins of the word "Meat". Cavemen would kill an animal and go to the tribal fire and say, "Me Eat!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-31-2018, 01:50 PM
dodgeboy1979's Avatar
dodgeboy1979 dodgeboy1979 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lloydminster Alberta
Posts: 1,039
Default

the Clearwater has always been a good stream to fish for me, access up by alford lake and walk upstream.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-31-2018, 03:30 PM
Stryker2's Avatar
Stryker2 Stryker2 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeboy1979 View Post
the Clearwater has always been a good stream to fish for me, access up by alford lake and walk upstream.
I will give that spot a try. From the Google map it looks like there's a spot to park right at the turn off to Alford Lake.Thanks
__________________
"I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself "
~Joseph Monniger
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-31-2018, 03:59 PM
bezzola's Avatar
bezzola bezzola is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: edmonton
Posts: 756
Default

Could try the ram river
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-31-2018, 04:21 PM
italk2u's Avatar
italk2u italk2u is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Could try the ram river
and pay the fine
__________________
God grant me the Focus to Visualize myself catching fish, the Faith to believe that I will, and the Wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-31-2018, 05:08 PM
Stryker2's Avatar
Stryker2 Stryker2 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I enjoy fishing the red deer river between Sundre and Glennifer lake. Bulls, browns and brookies. Where other rivers enter the Red Deer river is usually good. Where the James river or the Raven enter the red deer are only a 10 or so minute walk from where you can park.
Is the James good fishing from the Cowboy Trail to the Red Deer?
__________________
"I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself "
~Joseph Monniger
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-31-2018, 05:28 PM
Stryker2's Avatar
Stryker2 Stryker2 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
and pay the fine
I'll be there until the weekend after June 16, so should be ok. I'm hoping to fish the N. Ram.
__________________
"I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself "
~Joseph Monniger
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-31-2018, 07:12 PM
italk2u's Avatar
italk2u italk2u is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
I'll be there until the weekend after June 16, so should be ok. I'm hoping to fish the N. Ram.
__________________
God grant me the Focus to Visualize myself catching fish, the Faith to believe that I will, and the Wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-31-2018, 07:52 PM
Red Bullets's Avatar
Red Bullets Red Bullets is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: central Alberta
Posts: 8,986
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Is the James good fishing from the Cowboy Trail to the Red Deer?
It seems most of the land is private from the 22 bridge down to the Red Deer river. I usually park at the end of TWP road 342 and walk the short distance.

If you are going to try the Clearwater, I park at the Cheddarville rec area and fish that area.

The Snakehead rec area of the Red Deer river requires some walking but can have a few good holes too.
__________________
Origins of the word "Meat". Cavemen would kill an animal and go to the tribal fire and say, "Me Eat!"
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-31-2018, 08:17 PM
Stryker2's Avatar
Stryker2 Stryker2 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
It seems most of the land is private from the 22 bridge down to the Red Deer river. I usually park at the end of TWP road 342 and walk the short distance.

If you are going to try the Clearwater, I park at the Cheddarville rec area and fish that area.

The Snakehead rec area of the Red Deer river requires some walking but can have a few good holes too.
That's great help! Thanks ..I'm looking forward to the adventure!
__________________
"I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself "
~Joseph Monniger
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-01-2018, 07:34 PM
Stryker2's Avatar
Stryker2 Stryker2 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 428
Default

Wow! Out of 360 people only 3 people have given some suggestions! This is a tight lipped community!
__________________
"I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself "
~Joseph Monniger
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-02-2018, 08:27 AM
West O'5 West O'5 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: W5
Posts: 862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Wow! Out of 360 people only 3 people have given some suggestions! This is a tight lipped community!
Well that's flyfishers for ya,lol......as a rule,I normally don't broadcast my favourite spots on the world wide interweb neither. 😜
That said.....give Prairie Ck/North PC a try.....they are small streams but usually lots of eager lil browns to be found.
Park at Prairie Creek PRA off of Hwy 752,some nice lil holes along that stretch but lotsa log jams too last time I was there a few years ago.
__________________
The toughest thing about waiting for the zombie apocalypse is pretending that I'm not excited.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-02-2018, 08:53 AM
Bigwoodsman Bigwoodsman is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 4,386
Default

Iíve spent considerable time in the area west and south west of Caroline this was back in the Ď90ís. Fish any flowing water and youíll find fish. I just drove the oil roads and regular roads till I crossed a creek. If I could find access I fished it. Fly rod spinning rod always had both and enjoyed some success.

Alford Tay and Phyllis lakes are good lakes to try as well.

Best advice get out and look for yourself. Back when I was there this internet thing was just new and no one had even thought of AO or like forums, we just went fishing!

BW
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-02-2018, 09:16 AM
Stryker2's Avatar
Stryker2 Stryker2 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
Well that's flyfishers for ya,lol......as a rule,I normally don't broadcast my favourite spots on the world wide interweb neither. 😜
That said.....give Prairie Ck/North PC a try.....they are small streams but usually lots of eager lil browns to be found.
Park at Prairie Creek PRA off of Hwy 752,some nice lil holes along that stretch but lotsa log jams too last time I was there a few years ago.
Thanks for your tips I appreciate them, I don't want anyone's honey holes just basic suggestions like you have given me. At 63 years of age (not the best of shape!) I don't have the time or energy to be blindly hiking the 10 mile run in the back woods LOL! I've always wanted to give stream fishing a try and thought it would be a nice addition to Lake fishing on this 2 week holiday.
Thanks again...
Cheers
__________________
"I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself "
~Joseph Monniger
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-02-2018, 11:04 AM
dodgeboy1979's Avatar
dodgeboy1979 dodgeboy1979 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Lloydminster Alberta
Posts: 1,039
Default

also go talk with Reg at Caroline supplies and he will point you in the right direction.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-03-2018, 09:14 AM
ESOXangler's Avatar
ESOXangler ESOXangler is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,192
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Wow! Out of 360 people only 3 people have given some suggestions! This is a tight lipped community!
Fishermen in general are tight lipped. Loose lips sink ships. There is tons of literature out there on fishing Alberta. Get out and dig in.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 AM
MountainTi's Avatar
MountainTi MountainTi is online now
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Caroline
Posts: 3,608
Default

Grab yourself a copy of "Barry Mitchell's Alberta fishing guide" from crappy tire. Open it up to the appropriate area in the back pages and start scrolling thru the list of creeks/rivers/lakes. Will give details of fish species, and directions to road access. Go from there, probably your best bet
__________________
Keep your city outta my country

Go east young man.....and take a few of yer buddies with ya!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-03-2018, 12:23 PM
Stryker2's Avatar
Stryker2 Stryker2 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Grab yourself a copy of "Barry Mitchell's Alberta fishing guide" from crappy tire. Open it up to the appropriate area in the back pages and start scrolling thru the list of creeks/rivers/lakes. Will give details of fish species, and directions to road access. Go from there, probably your best bet
I have the Trout highway.. But the book was written a million years ago and lots has changed. It's a great book I've read it and have used it when I was out by Grande Cache. But as you all say the internet has changed the fisheries I'm sure if Barry was still alive he would be horrified by the changes himself.
I've been fishing the lakes all over Alberta since I've retired in 2013, I was just trying to get a little up to date stream info so I could give it a try on this trip.
I did get a very nice fellow pm me and give me all the info I need. But thanks for your suggestion.
__________________
"I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself "
~Joseph Monniger
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-03-2018, 12:25 PM
Stryker2's Avatar
Stryker2 Stryker2 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
Fishermen in general are tight lipped. Loose lips sink ships. There is tons of literature out there on fishing Alberta. Get out and dig in.
Hey nothing ventured nothing gained right! That's what the forum is for, to exchange info on our love of the outdoors!! Ahhhh but it don't work so well anymore! LOL!
__________________
"I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself "
~Joseph Monniger
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Rumour Rumour is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 16
Default

you want to sell that book lol!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-08-2018, 09:30 PM
JReed's Avatar
JReed JReed is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cochrane
Posts: 594
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker2 View Post
Hey nothing ventured nothing gained right! That's what the forum is for, to exchange info on our love of the outdoors!! Ahhhh but it don't work so well anymore! LOL!
Man, guys donít even want to use the search function of the forum anymore, how lazy can they get. Lots of info archived on here

Its ok, iíll blow all my gas money to give you good fishing spots. Google maps is free too.We have a beautiful province, take chances and make some mistakes like everyone else
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 07-18-2018, 08:22 AM
Stryker2's Avatar
Stryker2 Stryker2 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 428
Default Caroline trip report.

Well my fishing partner and I spent 7 days in the area and fished mostly lakes as we always do. It was raining a lot with heavy winds, so the streams were cloudy. We tried the Tay river because it was close to where we were camped, went upstream about a km. but not even a bite. We tried asking at the Caroline store for info, but the minute men see 2 older ladies they clam right up and probably think we don't know what we're doing anyway so why bother! LOL!
We don't give up easily tho so we will try again next year and this time, hopefully my friend will have a new knee and we can go exploring further should the weather permit it.
Thanks to all that were kind enough to gives us a bit of help, namely Red Bullets, who is an awesome gentleman.
__________________
"I go fishing not to find myself but to lose myself "
~Joseph Monniger
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-03-2018, 10:50 AM
keeks's Avatar
keeks keeks is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Whitecourt
Posts: 464
Default

Nevermind. Read the date on the post. Duh.

After I read the "pay the fine" comment about fishing the Ram I went searching for info. Am I missing something about the Ram being closed? Is there a warm water advisory? Sectional closings? I can't seem to find anything. Fill me in.

Last edited by keeks; 08-03-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-03-2018, 11:12 AM
pope pope is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 306
Default

On the date of that post it was seasonal closure.




Quote:
Originally Posted by keeks View Post
Nevermind. Read the date on the post. Duh.

After I read the "pay the fine" comment about fishing the Ram I went searching for info. Am I missing something about the Ram being closed? Is there a warm water advisory? Sectional closings? I can't seem to find anything. Fill me in.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.