Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-21-2020, 04:55 PM

Default New Powder by Winchester

Here's a link to a new powder - STABALL by Winchester. With a burn rate similar to H 4350 it shows promise in the temp stability and velocity departments ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcy8zqclIns
Old 02-21-2020, 05:54 PM

It will run a 6.5 Creedmoor about 1.5 MOA flatter at 500 and extremely accurate with the same 140 grain bullet and powder charge - spikes fast however , after all it is a ball powder .
Pretty good however , gored of us bought 18 pounds and are happy!
Cat
Old 02-21-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
It will run a 6.5 Creedmoor about 1.5 MOA flatter at 500 and extremely accurate with the same 140 grain bullet and powder charge - spikes fast however , after all it is a ball powder .
Pretty good however , gored of us bought 18 pounds and are happy!
Cat
That's a pretty good velocity bump for the 6.5 Creedmoor. What powder did you use originally? Not doubting, but wondering what it would do for the 6.5x55 Swede.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:06 PM

it shows that it is a faster powder really, not much more because accuracy is the same.

H4350 was used before.
I was loading for 3 different rifles, two Tikkas and my McGowan barreled match rifle.
Bullets were lapua Scenar140's, Chinchaga ULD 140's, and Hornady ELDm140's.

We noticed the trajectory change with the new powder and the ELDm's
before that I had run 650 rounds through the match rifle with the McGowan barrel using H4350 with both irons and optics.
I am still not sold on it as it is a ball powder we will see what happens when the weather warms up. If I have to mess with powder charges and OAL lengths I'll stick with H4350.
Cat
Old 02-21-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
H4350 was used before.
I was loading for 3 different rifles, two Tikkas and my McGowan barrel match rifle.
Bullets were lapua Scenar140's, Chinchaga ULD 140's, and Hornady ELDm140's.

We noticed the trajectory change with the new powder and the ELDm's
before that I had run 650 rounds through the match rifle with the McGowan barrel using H4350 with both irons and optics.
I am still not sold on it as it is a ball powder we will see what happens when the weather warms up. If I have to mess with powder charges and OAL lengths I'll stick with H4350.
Cat
What velocity (and powder charge) were you using with the 140 ELDm ? What was the velocity difference when using the same charge of Staball? Just trying to figger what it might do in 6.5 Swede and .260 Rem without buying more powder.
Old 02-21-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
What velocity (and powder charge) were you using with the 140 ELDm ? What was the velocity difference when using the same charge of Staball? Just trying to figger what it might do in 6.5 Swede and .260 Rem without buying more powder.
Didn't chronograph the loads, used 41 grains for both H4350 and Stabll.
I ran the loads from 2000 meters to 500 meters to get my trajectory dope.
Cat
Old 02-22-2020, 02:19 PM

As near as I can see the burn rate of Staball (43.7gr) in .243/6.5 with 108 gr bullet falls right between H4831 (45.0 gr) & H4350 ( 42.4gr) @60,000psi /70 deg F . Lots of company in that range but above average temp stability appears to be the key if Hodgdons predictions prove correct.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:58 PM

Make the above 6mm Rem, not 6.5
Old 02-22-2020, 03:03 PM

Funny thing is my two friends who are shooting of on the island with their 6.5x47's are noticing the same trajectory changes , not sure what to make of it but that powder sure was rockin' with 140 ELDM's today all the way out to 1K with a pile of wind!
Cat
Old 02-22-2020, 03:18 PM

I have been looking online for load data for that new powder and the 6mmBR but so far have not found any .
However to beat 30 grains of Varget in a 105- 108 match bullet that powder is going to have to be really special!
Cat
Old 02-22-2020, 03:37 PM

It would be interesting to get some actual comparison chrono readings with identical chge weights and projectiles from any cartridge in that 6.5 class... Velocity difference means more to me than temp stability, especially in the Creedmoor and Swede.
Seeing that you saw a 1.5MOA difference at 500 meters really got me going.
Old 02-22-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
It would be interesting to get some actual comparison chrono readings with identical chge weights and projectiles from any cartridge in that 6.5 class... Velocity difference means more to me than temp stability, especially in the Creedmoor and Swede.
Seeing that you saw a 1.5MOA difference at 500 meters really got me going.
It surprised me as well , but velocity aside, groups don't give false readings ! LOL
These rifles will never be hunted so as long as the groups hold I am okay with it as long as the groups are consistent
Cat
Old 02-22-2020, 03:55 PM

I just found this new (to me) Burn Rate chart .

.https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...rate-color.pdf
Old 02-22-2020, 04:16 PM

Quote:
I just found this new (to me) Burn Rate chart .

.https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...rate-color.pdf
Interesting for sure , I am sure I could work up a load because IIRC CFE100 is compatible with the 6mmBR , but I have had such great success over the years with Varget I am loathe to change " just because"!
Cat
Old 02-22-2020, 04:25 PM

if it ain't broke ...
Old 02-22-2020, 04:39 PM

Quote:
if it ain't broke ...
Yuuuuupppp!
I can throw 30 grains of Varget into a case and stuff a 105- 108 Scenar, Match King, Berger, Matrix, or Hornady on top and danged near the same ogive setting and shoot an excellent group at 500 with it strapped in with he irons - what's not to like?!
Cat