Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-14-2019, 10:35 PM

Default Anyone been to chain lakes south recently

I read on an earlier thread it was pretty slow this winter but I haven’t seen anything new on chain in a few weeks.
I’m taking a first timer out Saturday, chain has always been a fun spot to get something on the end of the line even if it’s a sucker.
Has anyone been there recently hat can tell me if it’s still slow or not, is corn and cheese still working there if you were catching? Family day weekend and I’m expecting a tent city on the ice so it should be a good atmosphere anyways for a guys first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-15-2019, 09:44 AM

I've been out twice this year. The most recent trip was about a week and a half ago. Fishing both times has been slow for Chain (i.e. we landed around 7 or 8 fish per person both trips). By far the best presentation been worms and maggots on a dead stick.
Old 02-15-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brovacs View Post
I've been out twice this year. The most recent trip was about a week and a half ago. Fishing both times has been slow for Chain (i.e. we landed around 7 or 8 fish per person both trips). By far the best presentation been worms and maggots on a dead stick.
Good to know, much appreciated!
It seems to be a slow season everywhere in the south this year.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:36 PM

Was out about a week ago and trout were alright but put the hurt on the sucker population to use as some bait & chum at Bakers Narrow in a couple weeks.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:50 AM

What was the ice at? People driving on?
Old 02-20-2019, 12:19 PM

Took my kids there yesterday and only got sucker bites. Ice was littered with suckers left for bird food. Maybe the suckers are taking over?
If anyone goes out there, I lost a shoe. Brown Merril. My son must have knocked it out the van door. If the fishing wasn’t what it was for us, I’d go back myself. But it’s a 2 hr drive.
Old 02-20-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Took my kids there yesterday and only got sucker bites. Ice was littered with suckers left for bird food. Maybe the suckers are taking over?
If anyone goes out there, I lost a shoe. Brown Merril. My son must have knocked it out the van door. If the fishing wasn’t what it was for us, I’d go back myself. But it’s a 2 hr drive.

We opted to bump my buddies first outting to this weekend for a little warmer temps. If we go to chain I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:15 PM

Default Anyone been to chain lakes south recently

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
We opted to bump my buddies first outting to this weekend for a little warmer temps. If we go to chain I’ll keep an eye out for it.

Thanks bud. It’s blowin snow here (East of Calgary) pretty good so it’s probably history now.
(50.2010582, -114.1971476)
50°12'03.8"N 114°11'49.7"W
https://goo.gl/maps/KwxMuujZTiN2

is where it should be around. The popular area straight out from the launch and on the west end of the bunch.
Most of the people were fishing close to the shore just north of the launch, on either side. About 20 ft of water. Water was too cloudy for the camera, but we did get a 4in sucker on a JJ, and put down one of everything I had to offer. Power bait nibbles, chunks, putty, Velveta, Shrimp of course, meal worms, trout worms, and maggots.

We didn’t get out there till noon and from my memory and trout knowledge the early morning is by far the best time. Would have been nice to get one. I was half hired guide, half MMA referee, ugh.

We left just after sunset and seen 2 deer on the 22 closer to Longview, so keep your eyes peeled.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 PM

Yeah, you would always catch throughout the day but early right after sun up was always best there. My buddies first outting ice fishing, though he’s an avid fisherman, so this is just an excuse to get out for a day. Should be fun! I don’t plan on straying far from that area out from the launch so you never know if I see something sticking out of the snow.
Thanks for the info!

Old 02-20-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
Yeah, you would always catch throughout the day but early right after sun up was always best there. My buddies first outting ice fishing, though he’s an avid fisherman, so this is just an excuse to get out for a day. Should be fun! I don’t plan on straying far from that area out from the launch so you never know if I see something sticking out of the snow.
Thanks for the info!

Make sure you warn your buddy that he’s likely going to become an addict. lol. I dismissed ice fishing forever, yet fished almost every other way. I might ice fish more than I do in summer now.