Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Banned

Default Best hunting pants.

I've gotten tired of paying top dollar for clothing that you would have trouble giving away were it not for the camo pattern printed on it. For shirts and jackets there are enough good options out there that I've mostly gotten away from camo but good pants seem harder to find. I'm not concerned with the camo pattern but I want good quality at a reasonable price and I want them made of a material that is quiet. Is it possible to get a pair of quiet hunting pants that will last many seasons for around $100 bucks or less?

In the past I have tryed... Carharts, jeans and other workpants, too noisy. Army surplus wool pants, love these but they way they fit I always end up tearing out the crotch, once they are torn it is very difficult to fix them properly. A wide variety of comercial hunting pants, various complaints but the main big one is that they were cheaply made and way overpriced for the quality of the clothing. Any reccomendations?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 PM

I bought some Ralph Lauren wool dress pants.

With Under Armour longjohns underneath, I found them great to about -6 .

I got the dress pants on sale for $60
Old 10-06-2012, 02:07 PM

I use wool pants in the later fall if I want to be warm and quiet.
Cat
Old 10-06-2012, 02:13 PM

Well worn jeans too noisy? All I ever wear and got no complaints.

Grizz
Old 10-06-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

Grizz
Of course not. Deer don't lodge complaints, they just leave

I use a pair of wool pants for hunting in November, works well for me.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Quote:

Grizz
It probably depends on how you hunt, I've hunted farmland in Carharts and never had any problems. On the way home from work last night though I spent a few hours creeping through the thick stuff and cursing my blue jeans. Its hard enough to keep quiet in this situation even without pants that make noise everytime they contact briars, sticks, or eachother. I suppose if their worn enough it might be better. With blue jeans though I hate the chafing one recieves on the sides of the knees when they get wet and you decide to just keep hunting.

To those using wool, what kind of pants are you using and where are you getting them? Any brands that are better than others?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:24 PM

Try Cabellas. I bought a pair there last year that I really like. Lots of pockets, good camo pattern and best of all they're well made and quiet.

http://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?page...=1828&ID=24626
Old 10-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Those are fleece not wool, big difference. I use a pair of Columbia wool pants and quality seems pretty good. Best quality would be Filson IMO, pricey but would last til hell freezes over and you can keep wearing them!
http://www.filson.com/products/macki...Product=101114
Old 10-06-2012, 03:30 PM

Patagonia Mountain Guide pants. They come in grey or black, are water proof and super comfortable. They are made from 4 way stretch material so you can go from wearing scivvies to heavey underwear and the fit remains comfortable. The 4 way stretch also allows for easy manouverability when climbing or field dressing game. The zipper pockets are low so you can access them while wearing a backpack with a waste belt. I think that I paid around 120 bucks for them at Valhala Pure.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM

German WWII wool field pants, getting harder to find unfortunately.
http://www.armynavysales.com/product...an-wool-pants/
I was wrong, not wwII, but these pants rock

Last edited by blacknorthernjk; 10-06-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:11 PM

I wear those quick dry zip off pants from Costco. They're cheap, quiet and can turn into shorts if you so desire. Not super warm but throw on some long johns and good to go.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM
Banned

Another vote for wool,can't beat it IMHO.I fell thru ice up to the boyz years ago while beaver trapping in December and popped out like a jack in the box so quick my boots didn't get a chance to fill...yea I was alot quicker then,lol...but the ole woolys saved the day and kept me warm,rather than a miserable and potentially dangerous 5K hike home....been sold on wool ever since.
My latest pair are made by Big Bill,they've seen alot of hard use,both hunting and work for 5 years now....still just like new.I actually just yesterday seen those Columbia wool pants mentioned earlier at Wholesale for $119 iirc??They look to be decent enuf,I almost grabbed a pair just for hunting and save the Bills for work,but WSS was already putting a big enough dent in yesterday's hunting budget....maybe next week??FWIW,I liked the camo pattern on the Columbias also,kinda like Predator almost,and not too busy like the "big two" which just blob together at a distance but catch alot of hunter's dollars.

Last edited by grinr; 10-06-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 PM

I wear wool pants once the weather starts to cool down. Very hard to beat wool IMO as well. I usually try and pick up a couple pairs from Progress Clothes in Lethbridge when I get a chance when we are down that way visiting. Last time we were there they were waiting on stock so no luck. In warmer weather I wear a light pant made by North Face. I will also be packing a merino wool underwear and rain pants pretty much all the time as I mostly backpack hunt.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 PM

Wool !!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:47 PM

I agree with many of the others. I'm a big fan of wool. I have a pair of the Columbia wool pants and I really like them. They're double layered on the knees and seem to be really well made. The camo pattern is a little dark in my opinion but that isn't very important to me. I'd definitely recommend them.

I also have a pair of the Big Bill wool pants. They are also pretty good - a little lighter weight than the Columbia ones, which is nice when it's not that cold.

That Filson pair is nice but I'd have to be convinced they were worth the extra money before I could justify spending twice as much on them as the Columbia pants.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned

Location: FTR Road in the summer (flyfishin), The bush in autum (huntin) the hills in winter (shreddin the pow

For 160 bucks check out Browning Highlands II wool pants. Excellent.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:23 PM

I did a neat thing that has worked out great. These pants are fantastic for antelope hunting and early season, and semi cold weather with long johns. I had a very comfortable pair of loose fitting jeans. Went to a fabric store and found some material that is a soft leather in a light brown color. Then took the pants to a seamstress and had her sew the material on from the cuffs to just below the crotch. Worked out fantastic. Comfortable, fairly warm, and I can walk through rose bushes and burrs and darn near kneel on cacti. Nothing sticks to them and they don't even seem to pick up thorns. Best hunting pants I've ever used bar none.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 PM

columbia wool pants. Love them dont remember what i paid but bought both the pants and jacket. I remeber they were fairly cheap.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule99 View Post
columbia wool pants. Love them dont remember what i paid but bought both the pants and jacket. I remeber they were fairly cheap.
I have the jacket as well and they are nice. I have solid green wool pants (not columbia) that work great in late season; they were cheap but work well. I think I got them at a army surplus store.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 PM

Wool

Aside from that? These!

http://www.dstactical.com/product_in...oducts_id=1134

I bought my first pair of 5.11 TDU pants 3yrs ago, I work in a pair daily in the HD mechanic trade, I hunt with them, I pretty much buy them exclusively now! Aside from a few burn holes from welding spatter and some grease stains my 3yr old pair of pants shows no sign of giving up, 2 other pairs are 2yrs old and look just slightly sun faded from countless washing cycles, one pair I bought last year is still like brand new!

Takes about 5-6 washes to soften them up so they are quiet but they are also treated with stain repellent (water/pop/blood/oil beads on them for the first month or three), the rip stop fabric is EXTREAMLY durable!! And the seams are held together by gods own hand....

They are available in a wide variety of colors but make sure you get the TDU pant.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Grizz
Agreed. Insulated Wranglers work just for me. I stalked several deer and a few Moose right up to 20 yards with no issues. After they are bought I just use them around the yard or for fall fishing to break them in. After they are washed a few times your good to go.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Banned

Quote:

Grizz
Maybe deer like the look of a man in pants that are way too tight?

I prefer wool once it starts getting cold.

Otherwise plain old cotton...jeans or cam.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 AM

Look for some "combat sweat pants"...they are canadian army pants. Fleece pants with pockets that are somewhat "athletic fit". They do have cordura (heavy nylon type stuff) on the seat and knees, which I like but may but you may find it noisy when those patches rub up against brush. I like them b/c they are light and warm, breath well and are still comfortable when you ave to slide rain gear on overtop. Can usually be had for $30-40.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
It probably depends on how you hunt, I've hunted farmland in Carharts and never had any problems. On the way home from work last night though I spent a few hours creeping through the thick stuff and cursing my blue jeans. Its hard enough to keep quiet in this situation even without pants that make noise everytime they contact briars, sticks, or eachother. I suppose if their worn enough it might be better. With blue jeans though I hate the chafing one recieves on the sides of the knees when they get wet and you decide to just keep hunting.

To those using wool, what kind of pants are you using and where are you getting them? Any brands that are better than others?
There is a big sale at Wholesale Sports in Calgary on wool pants. I was in there the other day and as you walk in the front door they are just past the cashier.
I think the pants were in the $60 range and in a light brown pattern.
Good luck
Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Wool

Aside from that? These!

http://www.dstactical.com/product_in...oducts_id=1134

I bought my first pair of 5.11 TDU pants 3yrs ago, I work in a pair daily in the HD mechanic trade, I hunt with them, I pretty much buy them exclusively now! Aside from a few burn holes from welding spatter and some grease stains my 3yr old pair of pants shows no sign of giving up, 2 other pairs are 2yrs old and look just slightly sun faded from countless washing cycles, one pair I bought last year is still like brand new!

Takes about 5-6 washes to soften them up so they are quiet but they are also treated with stain repellent (water/pop/blood/oil beads on them for the first month or three), the rip stop fabric is EXTREAMLY durable!! And the seams are held together by gods own hand....

They are available in a wide variety of colors but make sure you get the TDU pant.
Yup,
I was thinking the same thing about hunting pants these days. I just discovered Tactical Pants as well. All the features I'm looking for: Double cloth in the rump, knee pad holders sewn in, pockets in the right places, elastic expanding waist, tough material. 911 Supply in Calgary stocks all different shapes and sizes. As for color they have khaki, olive, multicam, maybe propper, but in reality any color except blue is doable for hunting. Ungulates are highly sensitive to colors in or near the UV bands.

Seals Action Gear also has a selection.

Jay
Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 PM

Default king of the mountain gear

Cold weather gear gotta have wool.The best I have found King of the Mountain.Cheap No.Quality Yes.Quiet comfortable absolutely.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:07 AM

Default Kuiu

get some kuiu guide pants. i tested them out for a month in the yukon, not the best for very cold weather but all around great. won't buy any other pants for awhile now,~
Old 10-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Gone Hunting

WOOL as others have state is the greatest in cold weather. However I will sometimes slip a pair of polar fleece or just big sweat pants over top of some worn soft jeans and longjohns. Warm, Quiet clothing.

It is quite important to be warm while hunting. You enjoy it more and you can stay out where you should be longer. When its cold I will often sit at one location till I am cold and bored then slowly still hunt to another location and warm up so I can sit there for awhile. I may have two or three tree stands 1/2 mile apart, each in a good watching location and I may rattle and call from each spot.

As well a being warm it is really important to wear "quiet" clothing that will not make unnatural noise as you walk along or move through bush.

My favourite kind of hunting pants have a little fresh blood on them (not my own hopefully).

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...